A few thoughts

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

A few thoughts

Postby Void » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:38 pm

I recently bought Knights of the Chalice and would like to share a few thoughts.
First of all, congratulations on your first game! I really like it so far, especially challenging well-polished tactical combat.
I hope to see more games from you in the future, and that's mainly the reason for the comments below. So, here goes.

Two things that almost put me off from even trying the game (but thankfully didn't in the end)
The title - Knights of the Chalice sound like something that is going to be about the Holy Grail, King Arthur and all that stuff.
The resolution - I think many people are going to dismiss your game based on it. I don't consider myself a 'graphic whore', but it almost did it for me, too, before even trying the game out. 320x240 is really low. I think, that, if you increased the resolution a bit (and you can increase it a bit more simply by displaying more of the map on screen at once), you would attract a lot more of potential customers. However, if you are going to use it in the future, please consider using some filters that make it look better when rescaled to higher resolution (see DOSBox and Exult for examples).

The second thing I'd like to talk about is the marketing - it would seem a lot of potential customers never heard about your game. I found about it basically by accident (I sometimes lurk at the rpgcodex). I think you should involve yourself more actively in promoting the game - don't wait for people to find out about it on their own, bring it to them. Find communities interested in games of this type and present your game to them. Send out some review copies to old-school-friendly (not-too-much-next-gen) gaming publication (both on- and off-line). Send the game to the next Independent Games Festival.

And another suggestion that would place your game to the broader audience - have you considered contacting Nintendo and porting your game to the Nintendo DS? I think it would be a perfect fit for that platform - the base resolution is already exactly fit for that console so you wouldn't have to change any of the assets. Secondly, a strange as it may sound, it seems the handheld consoles (specially the DS) have became a refuge, of sorts, for the old-school gaming. In rpg-department, for example, see the Eye of the Beholder remake, new Wizardry games in making for the DS etc.
Void
Lizardman (CR 1)

A few thoughts

Advert

Re: A few thoughts

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:25 pm

you can switch the resolution to 960x720.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Void » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:35 pm

VentilatorOfDoom wrote:you can switch the resolution to 960x720.

I meant the basic asset resolution. Yes, you can set the higher resolution, but everything (except for fonts and some effects) just gets rescaled in a way that pixels get bigger.
Void
Lizardman (CR 1)

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:43 pm

Ah, ok then.

Sure had the game let's say BG2 graphics quality I wouldn't complain, but if I could choose between a sequel in say a year or so and sequel with improved graphics in 3 years, I'd choose the former.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Void » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:58 pm

VentilatorOfDoom wrote:Ah, ok then.

Sure had the game let's say BG2 graphics quality I wouldn't complain, but if I could choose between a sequel in say a year or so and sequel with improved graphics in 3 years, I'd choose the former.

It really doesn't have to be BG2-style graphics to be clear at higher resolution.
My logic is basically:
High resolution -> more buyers -> bigger chance a sequel -> me a happy panda
Low resolution -> less buyers -> slimmer chance of a sequel -> me a sad panda
Of course, the real question is, is the cost of higher resolution lower or higher than the additional income it would bring. That's something the developers are going to answer. I'd just wish they explore if it is possible to increase the asset resolution in a manner that would not take too long/not be too costly.
Void
Lizardman (CR 1)

Postby Pod » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:07 pm

Void wrote:Two things that almost put me off from even trying the game (but thankfully didn't in the end)
The title - Knights of the Chalice sound like something that is going to be about the Holy Grail, King Arthur and all that stuff.
The resolution - I think many people are going to dismiss your game based on it. I don't consider myself a 'graphic whore', but it almost did it for me, too, before even trying the game out. 320x240 is really low. I think, that, if you increased the resolution a bit (and you can increase it a bit more simply by displaying more of the map on screen at once), you would attract a lot more of potential customers. However, if you are going to use it in the future, please consider using some filters that make it look better when rescaled to higher resolution (see DOSBox and Exult for examples).

I imagine they'd have to redrawn every single sprite in the game for this. Also, I think those graphic filters are terrible and make games look like a fat, blurry mess.
Pod
Kolyarut (CR 12)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Void » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:18 pm

Pod wrote:I imagine they'd have to redrawn every single sprite in the game for this.

True, which is why it wouldn't be appropriate to change the current game. But, maybe for a sequel...

Pod wrote:Also, I think those graphic filters are terrible and make games look like a fat, blurry mess.

Well, to each his own, I guess. I think they make some games look better. But I don't see how adding the option to apply/remove them would do anything other than improve the game.
Void
Lizardman (CR 1)

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:22 pm

Hello Void, thank you for your posts and purchase.

Void wrote:The title - Knights of the Chalice sound like something that is going to be about the Holy Grail, King Arthur and all that stuff.
To each his own, as you said. I like that kind of stuff. Also, I'm not allowed to call the game D&D Tactics. Though calling it like that would generate plenty of attention, I'm sure. :-)

Void wrote:The resolution - I think many people are going to dismiss your game based on it.
Too bad, but not something I can do anything about. I dislike filters, and it's easy to underestimate the cost and time required to draw at higher resolutions. As for just drawing everything 50% smaller, I dislike that idea equally - compare windowed mode 640x480 and 960x720 and you'll see what I mean. No, I think the way to go for a sequel, is to retain the low resolution but use unique art in places.

The second thing I'd like to talk about is the marketing
I'm planning to spend more time on that in coming days. Thanks for the Nintendo suggestion, I'll try.

PS- please email me the email address you used to buy the game so I can update your forum registered status.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby DR490N » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:55 am

As for just drawing everything 50% smaller...

I would LOVE to have everything smaller with a larger viewport. I bet all the people with larger screens would too.

Is it complicated to propose a "zoom out" option in your engine ? In Ultima 7 with Exult it really works great (and some filters do give a nice result). And it's also better for larger combats where you currently have to scroll all the time. So it's not only for the visuals, there is an interest in gameplay.

Still, I love the game, I am nearing the end. Congratulation for your work.
DR490N
Goblin (CR 1/3)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:46 am

It's a shame you can't have D&D in the title. That would attract attention. Maybe you should contact them and ask for it - after all you delivered where profeshunals failed : provide proper D&D CRPG combat.

But DR490N has a point, I think there was such a mod for PS:T for instance. With higher res you would just see a larger area, without the sprites getting bloated up. That would be an improvement.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Next

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG