Cloak of Displacement, targeting functionality

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Postby screeg » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:42 pm

The Cloak of Displacement makes your character transparent. I'm probably going to use it for the rest of the game, but I don't want my onscreen guy to be transparent for the entire game. This reminds me of the Barkskin spell effect from BG1. A certain artifact gave you constant Barkskin, which made your character dirt brown from head to foot whenever you wore it. They changed it for BG2 so that only the spell changed your character graphic.
----
The screen focus jumps to your selected character at the start of his turn, and this is fine. But I personally don't like how this also occurs in other circumstances, like if you cancel an action such as casting a spell. After the turn has started, I don't need to be re-focusing on the active party member again. Usually, I'm searching out a target and considering my different spellcasting options and the screen keeps jumping away from what I'm doing.
----
What about being able to see your target's HP when you cursor over them while casting a spell?
-----
screeg
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Re: Cloak of Displacement, targeting functionality

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:22 am

screeg wrote:What about being able to see your target's HP when you cursor over them while casting a spell?
It's already there for spells like Magic Missile. Do you mean for area-of-effect spells?

For the displacement/blur cloaks, how about displaying with transparency only during combat?
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby screeg » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:29 pm

I mean all spells. Why not allow the popup enemy details when the cursor is over them, just like when not casting spells? Let's say I'm going to cast Fireball, but I can't get all my enemies in the area of effect, and I want to check the guys on the left and right edge to see who's weakest. Right now I have to cancel the spell, which kicks the display back to the spellcaster, drag the display back over, hover over both enemies, then get the spell cursor up again.

IIRC, in BG2 there was some kind of effect when you put the item on, like the character changed for three seconds, then returned to the default graphic. I'd prefer for the graphic not to change during combat either (that's where I'm spending 90% of my time anyway, right?), but it's up to you naturally.
-----
screeg
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Darkion » Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:04 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:For the displacement/blur cloaks, how about displaying with transparency only during combat?

I would hate a change like that. I like the transparency of the Cloak of Displacement and I'm used to it, it's a handy visual clue so I don't have to go into Inventory to check if a character is actually wearing one. I don't like the idea of going into combat and then noticing that my wizard or cleric was wearing something else and wasting a round changing it or being forced to take Quick Draw in order to change it without penalty.
Darkion
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG