Just finished the Demo..

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Just finished the Demo..

Postby Ninefingers » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:21 am

Hi All,

I'm really glad that I stumbled upon this gem of a game. I don't have a genuine D&D background (my first encounter with D&D was Baldur's Gate 8-) ) but I really love fantasy based RPG's with a complex combat system. I always hated the fact that 50% of the insanely big pool of spells in the BG games were useless, so I was relieved to see that in KotC almost all spells are useful.

My first attempt with the demo was a mess. Coming from more recent, 'easy' RPG's as Drakensang and The Witcher I just went in the cave, guns blazin' style. Made it to the Witches/Fighters, died on the spot because of a lack of spells/HP.

Right, let's try again (which means that I like the interface, setting and system, as my concentration span is normally really poor). Made it to the room with the thugs (no alarm raised) and Troll....Aweseome fight! Unfortunately I lost my wizard during the fight...And so on....

It took me a while to deal with the southern room with the three Trolls (2 regular, 1 90+ HP Shaman) because my party would suffer during the first two rounds because of a lack of initiative. I succeeded in bringing back my wizard from unconsciousness and was able to launch a fireball. Silenced the Shaman and killed the normal Trolls with my fighters. The Shaman was still tough, but doable.

And that was the end of the demo it seems. I did try the rooms with all the undead (the one where you can't go back), but I think it's almost impossible to survive that? The first batch of mobs are quite tough, but doable, but after that you meet the Lich with his *many* high HP minions who just beat the sh*t out of me.

Can anyone confirm that this is a really hard area that's only in to entertain people? If challenges in the normal game are always this hard than I think that this game might be a bit much for me. I was already proud after the Troll battle ;)

Ps; I cleared the area above, saved the dwarf, bought and sold some items, etc. Couldn't get more XP to level up as far as I could see.

Thanks!
Ninefingers
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice

Just finished the Demo..

Advert

Re: Just finished the Demo..

Postby Darthcast » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:06 pm

I also didn't manage to beat the lich in the demo.

The full game is a lot easier. How difficult it is depends on how high the attributes of your characters are and if you enable max HP on level up... this is basically the difficulty setting of the game. ;)
My characters had 18's in the primary and at least 16 in their secondary attribute, the game was challenging but never as difficult as the lich in the demo.
Darthcast
Umber Hulk (CR 14)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby Ninefingers » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:16 pm

Thanks for that, quite a relief. I'm buying the full version tonight when I get back from work.

It's amazing though, that a game created by a handful of people is way more attracting than most AAA games that are being released. The game was even on my mind during my journey to work this morning, which is quite an accomplishment, as I normally sleep during at that time ;)

Once I've got the full game I'll create some videos as well, using Fraps. This is probably mandatory for me anyway, to show you guys where I'm stuck and what I'm doing at that moment ;)
Ninefingers
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Archangel » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:44 pm

I could not even get through the room with the wizard and the troll :)

As the demo allows no saving of the game I decided to quit here and get the full game instead :)

I should get the full game today :)
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Ninefingers » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:56 pm

Well, the demo *does* allow you to save. In this version (1.18) at least..
Ninefingers
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Darthcast » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:06 pm

Maybe you played ironman mode?
Darthcast
Umber Hulk (CR 14)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby Archangel » Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:14 pm

Darthcast wrote:Maybe you played ironman mode?

There is an ironman mode? :D
I didn't change any option except turn on max HP on my 2nd playthrough (I noticed I need it :) )
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:31 pm

Thank you for the supportive post, Ninefingers.

Archangel: you can't save during combat, that's the only restriction.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG