First thing I noticed

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

First thing I noticed

Postby Archangel » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:13 pm

I just downloaded the full game and started to create my little party. One wizard, two clerics (one standard, one with a greatsword), and a ranged fighter. Well the cleric with the greatsword cannot cast spells as apparently he has no free hands. But I think I remember that the cleric from the demo carrying a weapon and a shield and had no problem.
Can this be fixed somehow :D ? Maybe for the next version of the game?
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

First thing I noticed

Advert

Re: First thing (bug) I noticed

Postby erkper » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:16 pm

Not a bug - you need a free hand to cast spells. No two-handed weapons or mace & shield allowed. I'm not really a big fan of that rule, but that's how the game is written.
erkper
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Archangel » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:41 pm

So I need to get quickdraw to get around this limit?
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Darkion » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:57 pm

Archangel wrote:So I need to get quickdraw to get around this limit?

You could, I wouldn't do it, there are far better choices for feats. I have finished the game with three different parties and never had to give Quick Draw to my clerics, just give them a one handed weapon and leave the shield hand free. On the other hand, if you're using your cleric as a primary melee fighter, then Quick Draw might be necessary.
Darkion
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Archangel » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:33 pm

Well my plan was to have one Greatsword wielding cleric for a frontline that buffs himself and fights and another as second line that buffs all and heals. Then a knight as an archer to take care of pesky archers and casters in the background. Wizard is my last character.

For now I carry an one handed weapon with my greatsword cleric so I can buff in the 1st two rounds of combat, and then switch to a greatsword. When I get quickdraw I will be able to start each combat with a greatsword in hand and while casting switch to a shield and next round switch back to a greatsword to attack.

I was thinking of taking quickdraw with my other cleric as well so I can use the shields all the time and cast spells and easily go into melee if needed.
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:18 pm

Otherwise, take Metamagic Still and you won't need a free hand, but your castings will use spell slots of one level higher.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Re: First thing I noticed

Postby Archangel » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:02 pm

Well since Still spell cost a feat as well while also costing one additional spell level, I would guess Quick Draw is more useful :)
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Narsham » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:25 am

Archangel wrote:Well since Still spell cost a feat as well while also costing one additional spell level, I would guess Quick Draw is more useful :)

Still spell can be worth taking anyway, given the limited higher level spell selection. Still Heal/Harm are far superior to Mass Cure Light/Cause Light in almost all circumstances.
Narsham
Hezrou (CR 11)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Archangel » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:43 am

On lvl 3 I took quick draw for both of my clerics. This allows both to carry heavy shields and cast spells and then as free action that does not provoke AoO get their weapons out and start pummeling. When I want to cast spells again I just remove the weapon and cast again and can even move.
I would say feat is really useful.

I just wish it was not needed as in PnP you can carry two-handed weapons and cast spells (you hold the weapon in one hand while you cast and then hold it in both again; although you cannot fight with one hand you can hold the weapon). Also in PnP you can cast spells holding a light shield and a weapon in the other hand as light shield allows that hand to still hold items so you can switch your weapon into that hand while you cast and switch back afterwards.

I wish this could be implemented (casting with all two-handed weapons and with light shields) here in a future patch or for the next KotC game.
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:31 pm

Casting with the light shield hand will most likely be allowed in the next game. Otherwise, there's not enough difference between heavy and light shield.
As for casting while wielding a 2-handed weapon, you're right too.
Using the inventory will probably take a standard action, cut to a move action with a feat.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Next

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG