Misc questions

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Misc questions

Postby Pod » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:41 pm

I've had these sat in a text file for ages and I've decided to dump them here. Enjoy :)

Saving + reloading gets often gets rid of items like +5 cloaks etc. Should it really do this?
Stealing the underground lizardman community's goods? Is this a knightly thing to do? :S
There's rarely any low leve cleric scrolls dropped? Infact no one ever seems to drop scrolls, they're always part of dungeon loot.
How do you figure out a unit's "hit dice"?

I remember battling one white dragon somewhere that got a +saving throw of 30:
D20 roll 11
fortitude bonus + 13
co mod + 6
Where did this fort bonus come form? I couldn't see any feats or items he had that would do this?

Ever since you changed the end-of-turn code the cleave is a bit messed up. eg I attack a skel, he dies. I cleave the next guy automagically. Previously it would stop here, and I could 5ft move and resume attacking. However now my knight now uses his remaining 7 attacks on or whatever on the cleave guy. If he then dies, he'll choose a new target, etc. Not this doesn't happen on my cleric without cleave - he correctly awaits me to tell him who the new target is.

Can't cast discharge on iron golem because it's immune to stun. I don't really care about the stun effect when casting on an iron golem, I just want the electric.

[BlueSalamander: Edited the title as none of these are bugs]
Pod
Kolyarut (CR 12)
Knights of the Chalice

Misc questions

Advert

Re: Misc bugs

Postby Narsham » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:43 pm

Pod wrote:I remember battling one white dragon somewhere that got a +saving throw of 30:
D20 roll 11
fortitude bonus + 13
co mod + 6
Where did this fort bonus come form? I couldn't see any feats or items he had that would do this?

Characters receive a bonus to their saves based upon class and level (+2 at start and +1/2 levels for good saves; +0 at start and +1/3 levels for bad ones). Monsters receive a similar bonus based upon their HD. That bonus is what's showing up as a fortitude bonus and has nothing to do with feats or items.
Narsham
Hezrou (CR 11)
Knights of the Chalice

Re: Misc questions

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:27 pm

Pod wrote:Saving + reloading gets often gets rid of items like +5 cloaks etc. Should it really do this?
Normal behaviour for the game. In the next game I'm even thinking of dropping much less loot - only those items which I will specially mark. Why? Because sifting through items is boring, most gear ought to get damaged in battle, it makes the game harder, the character will be less wealthy, and I can use lots of NPCs with excellent gear without fear of it landing into the player characters' hands.

Pod wrote:Stealing the underground lizardman community's goods? Is this a knightly thing to do? :S
Not in my opinion, but it's up to the player to decide.

Pod wrote:There's rarely any low leve cleric scrolls dropped? Infact no one ever seems to drop scrolls, they're always part of dungeon loot.
Yes. The game follows the DMG rules for random drops, and I guess scrolls are rare.

Pod wrote:How do you figure out a unit's "hit dice"?
The hit dice is mentioned as "Level" in the character sheet. It is often equal to a racial number + the number of class levels.

Pod wrote:Can't cast discharge on iron golem because it's immune to stun. I don't really care about the stun effect when casting on an iron golem, I just want the electric.
Being immune to stun they become immune to this spell. Not perfect, but it's a simpler for the engine like this.

Pod wrote:Ever since you changed the end-of-turn code the cleave is a bit messed up. eg I attack a skel, he dies. I cleave the next guy automagically. Previously it would stop here, and I could 5ft move and resume attacking. However now my knight now uses his remaining 7 attacks on or whatever on the cleave guy. If he then dies, he'll choose a new target, etc. Not this doesn't happen on my cleric without cleave - he correctly awaits me to tell him who the new target is.
Did you use a left click on target or the "attack" action in the menu? [Edit] I've checked and there's nothing wrong there. If you use the "attack" action in the menu it will give back control after all cleave attacks have been completed. If you just left click the target, the character will do all his attacks automatically, as usual.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Lurking Grue » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:47 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:Normal behaviour for the game. In the next game I'm even thinking of dropping much less loot - only those items which I will specially mark. Why? Because sifting through items is boring, most gear ought to get damaged in battle, it makes the game harder, the character will be less wealthy, and I can use lots of NPCs with excellent gear without fear of it landing into the player characters' hands.

I don't consider shifting through loot boring, unless it's taken to silly extremes (and KotC does not). One of the fun aspects of cRPGs, IMO, is looting the poor saps you just defeated. However, to keep it balanced, you need to have "phat loot" and "not so phat loot" (i.e. rare items vs common items). Both of them need to be there, because if the enemies only drop extra-special epic items (when so programmed) and everything not so special just doesn't drop at all, the looting becomes somewhat too streamlined - for me at least. Granted, I'm a self-confessed packrat, but still, the fact that your enemies have inventories which are sometimes filled with just common, everyday items is a Good Thing (tm). To keep the item inflation in check, just have the looted items be worth a lot less than new items, have merchants refuse to buy "filthy orc armor" at all, implement an encubrance system to limit inventories (armor is heavy!), etc.

In addition, I like that NPCs drop the gear they are using. It's a pet peeve of mine, I admit, but if an NPC is wearing a Breastplate of Uber-Leetness and wielding a Battleaxe of Doom +8 (and using them against me!), then that NPC should drop said armor and weapon when he's killed. Sure, looted armor/weapons can have their condition degraded if so wanted (making them damaged or what ever), but never the less, those items should drop if the NPC is using them. IMHO, of course.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Lurking Grue
Chimera (CR 7)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Archangel » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:49 am

Lurking Grue wrote:
BlueSalamander wrote:Normal behaviour for the game. In the next game I'm even thinking of dropping much less loot - only those items which I will specially mark. Why? Because sifting through items is boring, most gear ought to get damaged in battle, it makes the game harder, the character will be less wealthy, and I can use lots of NPCs with excellent gear without fear of it landing into the player characters' hands.

I don't consider shifting through loot boring, unless it's taken to silly extremes (and KotC does not). One of the fun aspects of cRPGs, IMO, is looting the poor saps you just defeated. However, to keep it balanced, you need to have "phat loot" and "not so phat loot" (i.e. rare items vs common items). Both of them need to be there, because if the enemies only drop extra-special epic items (when so programmed) and everything not so special just doesn't drop at all, the looting becomes somewhat too streamlined - for me at least. Granted, I'm a self-confessed packrat, but still, the fact that your enemies have inventories which are sometimes filled with just common, everyday items is a Good Thing (tm). To keep the item inflation in check, just have the looted items be worth a lot less than new items, have merchants refuse to buy "filthy orc armor" at all, implement an encubrance system to limit inventories (armor is heavy!), etc.

In addition, I like that NPCs drop the gear they are using. It's a pet peeve of mine, I admit, but if an NPC is wearing a Breastplate of Uber-Leetness and wielding a Battleaxe of Doom +8 (and using them against me!), then that NPC should drop said armor and weapon when he's killed. Sure, looted armor/weapons can have their condition degraded if so wanted (making them damaged or what ever), but never the less, those items should drop if the NPC is using them. IMHO, of course.

I agree with this. I hate games that have opponents wield huge axes against you but drop a dagger :(
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Tiavals » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:59 pm

Archangel wrote:I agree with this. I hate games that have opponents wield huge axes against you but drop a dagger :(

I must third this.
Tiavals
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:16 pm

What if the leader drops his huge axe, but his men do not drop all their non-magic armor and swords?
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Archangel » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:18 am

BlueSalamander wrote:What if the leader drops his huge axe, but his men do not drop all their non-magic armor and swords?

Well, I can survive with less +1 items when I got +4 equipment. But you would need to compensate us for the money we would lose. I was enchanting so much stuff with my wizard I was low on money practically until the end of the game.
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:05 pm

Ah, but being low on money also forces you to be more careful with your use of it. And most players finish with one million gold...
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Archangel » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:15 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:Ah, but being low on money also forces you to be more careful with your use of it. And most players finish with one million gold...

I finished with 2+ mil but I was talking before that. Up until about lvl 17+ I had money issues all the time due to constant crafting (not to mention my wizard was trailing one level behind the party all the time).
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Next

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG