Tyranixxus

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Re: Tyranixxus

Postby some_name » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:27 am

Didn't even try it, so I can't help you there.
some_name
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:05 am

Remember you have to keep Karef and Quoris alive. Good luck.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Archangel » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:22 am

VentilatorOfDoom wrote:Remember you have to keep Karef and Quoris alive. Good luck.

I really hope you are kidding me? I could not keep all my characters alive :D
There is no freaking way those two can survive. If I could cast True Resurrect once they die it would work but I cannot target them anymore then.
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:00 am

I kept them alive, 1 time with knight, 2 clerics, 1 wizard and last time with 2 clerics, 2 wizards. So it is possible. You should have read my description of my tactics vs Tyrannosaurus more carefully. It works here as well.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Archangel » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:11 am

I cast Mass prot from evil and mass death ward first. I cast Web in front first.
But the Lord moves forward and starts bashing whoever is there and usually Balor or Vrock come and he practically kills himself on their auras.
The NPC wizard is really weak (both HP and AC) and dies from many attacks that come my way (some area, some Ready actions). And I cannot ress him once he dies like I can my own characters.

EDIT: I do not have Mass Dominate, only Mass Hold Monster but all opponents there are with good will saves and I cannot get into melee with them in time to do Coup de Gra.
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:32 am

no that was not me. I never avoid a challenge:-)

What party do you have ? (I couldn't keep them alive with only 2 casters cleric, wizard)

you need scrolls:
- mass death ward (recast it immediately if even only 1 of your men or karef/quoris has been dispelled)
- mass heal (will use it a lot)
- mass harm (if you have time and don't have to heal)
- dominate monster (dominating the first approaching balor is first priority)
- dominate undead (leveldraining vampires on your side is a good thing)
- dehydrate (should nothing be in domination-range)
- greater disintegrate (golems mainly but also other things, domination is more important though)

If something is in Domination range use a domination spell, only if not do something else like haste, foresight, whatever.
Mass heal every round unless you have to cast deathward or everyone is not much hurt in which case you can mass harm.
Cast web early but so that Karef is webbed as well (or be lucky that the spider wizard cast it on you), not only will that slowdown the approach of your foes, more importantly it will force Karef to stay where he is, otherwise he likes to wander off to his doom. Be aware that going out there meleeing=certain death.
Have your knights shoot slaying arrows. Here are the good ones: construct (odds are you will get rid of the golems immediately), humanoid (for the muls), animal (thrikreen). Dragon, Outsider arrows most likely won't work anyway so don't bother. Might have restoration/remove neg levels handy to heal up Karef when he got some beating and drained stats/levels. It is first priority to dominate both Balors, dominating the spider wizard & the vampires is 2nd priority.
Had you killed the Vrock in the tomb he wouldn't be here fyi.

Be equiped optimally. All casters should use shields (no weapons equiped), mithril light shield (no asf) for wizards, have max possible AC, Displacement cloaks.

EDIT: I do not have Mass Dominate, only Mass Hold Monster but all opponents there are with good will saves and I cannot get into melee with them in time to do Coup de Gra.
Then buy a scoll of it it Vanicia or Norbury, somewhere should be one, this is by far the best spell in game - without it your chances are drastically reduced.

edit: of course you don't have to keep them alive, that's just an additional selfimposed challenge, might as well not bother with them
Last edited by VentilatorOfDoom on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Archangel » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:52 am

So basically I redo the start of the combat until one of the Balors fails his will save as from what I remember they got 20+ on it and my DC is 28.

I guess I need to start using slaying arrows, I have been avoiding using those :)

I did give great equipment to my party, in addition to a mithril shield for my wizard, I gave him a mithril leather +5 armor :D so I can wear Gloves of Dex+6 instead of the Bracers of Armor +8. That is a total of +2 to AC then just the Bracers, not to mention I could put best fortification on the armor :)

My next party is going to have a twirling double kukri wielding machine of death with two cold iron wounding life leeching kukries for all enemies but golems and undead :) I wish I could add some elemental burst as well, but oh well :) Or maybe I should put Holy on them instead of Life Leach (but with 15-20 crit Life Leach works great) :D
Maybe having Life Leech just for those extra tough opponents :)
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:05 pm

you don't have greater focus enchantment? the only focus worth taking imo. Greater Spell Penetration is also a must, even for clerics.

edit: eqipment sounds good.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Archangel » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:26 pm

No, I took Spell Focus (Necromancy) hoping that Wail of Banshee would exist in the game :(
I cannot remember now if I took Greater Spell Focus (Necromancy) as well. Wizard got Greater Spell Resistance same as one of the Clerics. The other one was supposed to be a Greatsword + buffs melee type so I took weapon feats and cleave with him :)
Last edited by Archangel on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Narsham » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:05 am

Archangel wrote:So basically I redo the start of the combat until one of the Balors fails his will save as from what I remember they got 20+ on it and my DC is 28.

Greater Dominate gives you three attempts against the same or different targets. I didn't have Focus (Enchantment) on my lone wizard when I ran the fight, and I could get at least one Balor pretty reliably.
Narsham
Hezrou (CR 11)
Knights of the Chalice

Previous

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG