Development Update

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Re: Development Update

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:27 pm

Right, I've just posted 4 new screenshots with the new font.

Lurking Grue wrote:I might have written my opinion a bit clumsily in my previous post.

No problem, don't worry about that! Also I agree that all capitals isn't the best looking thing, but I don't think it affects the game too much.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Advert

Postby Lurking Grue » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:28 pm

Hmm, the new font sure isn't blocky anymore, but I'm not too sure about it's easy readability. The new font is, erm, too squqqly and too "busy", IMHO. It's particularly busy when there are several lines of text on the screen, as the twists and turns of the letters start to become distracting. To me, that is. I'm sure there are lots of people who wouldn't be bothered by that at all. So this is all just IMHO. Should the game involve reading many paragraphs of text at a time, I would be more concerned, but as it's most probably going to be a few lines at a time, it's OK and I'm sure the font will do just fine. (I'd have gone with something between this new and the old font, but what the hey, enough of my nagging about the font already. :roll: )

To nitpick some more, I'm sure you've noticed, but just in case you haven't, some of the item icons are off-center. For example, the new screenshot showing the inventory, the red gem, black rock(?), and bow are all off-center in their square (as is the equipped ring). If that's intentional, disregard this.

Not to be so negative sounding, I'd like to repeat what I said previously - the game looks really good. It does. I'm just nitpicking about the small things here, to help you polish the game, so to speak. ;)
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Lurking Grue
Chimera (CR 7)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:27 pm

Thanks for your comments,

Lurking Grue wrote:I'm not too sure about it's easy readability

Yes, I'm aware that it's bit less readable than the previous font, but I don't know of any easy fix. The text is usually very short so shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Lurking Grue wrote: some of the item icons are off-center

True, I was discussing that with the playtesters yesterday. I will fix that soon.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:48 pm

Hello, I've been busy adding fixes after we completed playtesting for the demo. Next I will have to add the many fixes for the full game.

Here are some of the more important fixes I've added:
- improved interface, fixed a problem with transparent windows
- improved music and sound volume setting controls
- cleaned up in-game help, added scroll bar to scroll help text
- added time, date and location information to the save/load screen
- fixed a problem with hit points of creatures wearing health amulets
- added buttons to cycle between player characters in character screen
- centered the icons of all items in the inventory screen.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby BadYeti » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:15 pm

This looks like it could be a very exciting title.

You've clearly put a huge amount of work into this, and it's really impressive to see an ambitious indie title this far along.

Out of curiosity, do you mind if I ask why you decided to create the game in a fixed resolution of 320x240 for the Windows XP platform? It seems like a bit of an unusual choice, given that pretty much anyone who has an XP/DX9+ machine will likely have a much, much higher resolution display.

It's certainly none of my business, but I can't help but be curious as to what drove you to make that decision. Is there another platform that you intend to port the game to that dictates designing the game in such a constrained amount of screen real estate (perhaps Windows Mobile or Nintendo DS) or was there some other reason?

Again, it looks like a great game and I'm not maligning your decision by any means. I'm just curious as to the reasoning.
BadYeti
Kobold (CR 1/4)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:50 pm

Hello BadYeti, thanks for your post,

BadYeti wrote:Is there another platform that you intend to port the game to that dictates designing the game in such a constrained amount of screen real estate (perhaps Windows Mobile or Nintendo DS) or was there some other reason?

No, the main reason is that the higher the resolution, the larger the 2D sprites you need, the more work for the artists and the higher the cost. A more minor reason is the slowdown that can sometimes be experienced when displaying high resolution pictures (as in Temple of Elemental Evil). The TOEE graphics are great though.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:59 pm

Here are some of the things I've been working on recently:

- removed some unnecessary calculations to remove slowdowns in combat
- fixed crashes in certain situations involving a dragon's breath attack
- added "number of hours played" in the save/load screen.
- reworked AI so that it is more careful with wall of fire, brazier and web squares.
- added code for the AI to dispel webs if that is to its advantage.
- made the AI smarter when dispelling a wall of fire or a wall of stone.
- made AI smarter when casting a web spell, targets should be in the web's middle rather than on the edge
- made AI more likely to strike at true enemies rather than allies that have been confused/dominated by the enemy.
- personal-range spells normally don't require a click on target, added an option to require a click on target to confirm.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:06 pm

Latest update:
- posted two new screenshots including the starting picture.
- changed the save/load screen to allow for as many saves as the player wants (previously allowed only 5 saved games).
- starting equipment now depends on which feats have been selected, such as weapon focus, two-weapon fighting, proficiencies, and point blank shot.
- made character creation more flexible (added "reset" and "previous character" functions).
- a cancel button is now displayed while targeting any spell.
- added new windows programme icons, projectile icons, new walk icon and a new selection circle
- added a minimum experience point award of 25 per person for being victorious in combat.
- fixed a bug with a spider encounter in the second half of the game.
- added a help page for ironman/normal modes
- AI update so that wizards won't dispel a wall of fire or entangle area if they're able to get away from them with just a five-foot step.
- fixed a bug when loading a game that was saved on a wilderness map.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri May 01, 2009 4:11 pm

I've been too busy to post earlier, but here are the latest additions:

- added code so that tables won't block line of sight for spells and arrows.
- fixed a bug in some attack roll calculations.
- fixed a map naming problem.
- fixed two repeat-dialogue bugs
- fixed another dialogue bug creating an infinite-wand exploit.
- fixed a series of problems associated to creatures standing on top of an obstacle
- fixed a problem linked to a key not disappearing after use
- added an intro screen with the HeroicFantasyGames.com logo.
- added code so that clerics casting a cure spell will take a five-foot step action before casting, if possible. Sometimes they failed to do that.
- fixed a bug with a merchant disappearing
- added several AI improvements suggested by the playtesters: some spellcasters will have more personality, enemies will take account of their Hit Points when estimating how many AOOs they can take, and enemy fighters will concentrate more on seriously-wounded characters.
- fixed a problem with some orcs not having the right armor proficiencies
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue May 12, 2009 4:56 pm

RPG Codex has published an interview about Knights of Chalice, here are the links:
Interview: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=190
Comments: http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=32509

Latest update:
- started working on a quest journal screen
- added a scroll bar for the dice rolls history window
- Ranged attacks while blinded now have an equal chance of hitting the target or any creature adjacent to the target.
- Equal chance to hit either of the grappling opponents when shooting or using a ranged-touch spell against someone who is grappling.
- AI more likely to attempt grapple if the enemy is meleeing more than one creature.
- fixed problems with creatures having a spell like ability but not able to use it for lack of a free hand
- increased maximum size of the dice roll history log and changed its code so that recording does not slow down the game.
- fixed a bug and crash with cure/healing spells cast outside combat, and another bug with dragon breath weapon
- added magic effect sounds to an encounter with a captive demon
- fixed some display problems
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

PreviousNext

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG