General and Crafting feats questions

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Postby rpgamer » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:53 pm

I have just hit lv 12 and I am a bit stuck as to which feats I should choose for my spellcasters. I have one wizard and one cleric in my party. Here are their current feats lists:

Wizard: superior concentration, dodge, improved initiative, scribe scroll, spell penetration, improved spell penetration, spell focus (evocation), greater spell focus (evocation)

Cleric, superior concentration, dodge, improved initiative, cleave, spell penetration, improved spell penetration

Now, I have been thinking of giving them both Mobility but I am not sure I absolutely need this. What other feats would you suggest me?

I have set myself as a goal to finish the game without the crafting feats. Is that even possible or is it too ambitious? I admit I have been doing well so far. However, the dragon slaying arrows for example have proved to be really useful and I have only one remaining after clearing the Mountain pass. I haven't seen those being sold at any shop, so I may have to craft some arrows myself. What do you guys think? My cleric has 3 more feats to take until lv 20 and my wizard had 5 more.
rpgamer
Centaur (CR 3)

Advert

Re: General and Crafting feats questions

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:17 am

Aside from the crafting feats I often take Spell Focus (Enchantment), Greater Spell Focus (Enchantment), Metamagic (Empower) and Metamagic (Maximize). The feats related to ranged combat, especially Precise Shot, are also useful to a Wizard for casting ray spells. For the Cleric, a Weapon Focus or Spell Focus (Necromancy).
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby rpgamer » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:13 am

Thank you for your answer, Salamander!

I have finally reached lv20 but still haven't finished the game (I need to go to the underground temple).
From what I have seen, the crafting feats are not necessary to finish the game (unless you play in ironman mode I guess). I only took the craft wand feat for my cleric and wizard and I have never used them. I can find the wands I need inside the game either in shops or as loot. Same goes for weapon and misc items (i still haven't found arrows of undead slaying though, but I have barely used any of the slaying arrows anyway).

So, my advice is to not waste those precious feats on crafting.
I also made a few mistakes, so I will list some piece of advice:

-spell focus and greater spell focus should be taken in evocation and enchantment schools only (for your wizard). It is a waste for all the other schools. For the cleric, I guess you could specialize in necromancy but then again, none of my harm spells ever got neutralized by any saves.
-still spell is a must for your spellcasters: not only can you cast your favourite spells twice as much (you can use all the higher level slots too) but you are not restricted in your actions when being grappled.
-empower spell is a must for your wizard.
-the spell penetration feats are an absolute must as well.
rpgamer
Centaur (CR 3)

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:17 pm

Those are good tips, thanks. Concerning Harm and Mass Harm, a successful Willpower save reduces the damage by 50%. Regarding Spell Focus, SF Conjuration helps with Glitterdust and Stinking burst, while SF Necromancy helps with Greater Disintegrate and Dehydrate.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby rpgamer » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:24 pm

Mmmm, good point.
I created a party from scratch and have already reached lv20 again. Now, I am hesitating to pick the last feat for my wizard. I already have spell focus: enchantment, necromancy and evocation, and greater spell focus: evocation.

Which greater spell focus feat would you choose? Enchantment or necromancy?
To tell the truth, I mainly use direct damage spells. Both schools have interesting spells though...
rpgamer
Centaur (CR 3)

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:27 pm

For my Wizards I'd only go for GSF enchantment. As for the rest, I'd rather have my wizard equipped with a mithral leather armor + 5, fortified and with spell resistance, plus a mithril light shield +5 enchanted with different elemental resistances, than to having wasted my precious crafting feats for GSF Evocation. Otherwise your assessment is accurate.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby rpgamer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:09 pm

Thanks for the advice once again.

I have actually put some thought on what you said and tried different things.

For starters, I want to warn newbies that you cannot lose a level by crafting items. When I reached lv 20, I gave my wizard the craft wondrous item feat. After gaining some more experience, I started crafting items that my party needed. I had calculated to craft x number of items in view of making my level decrease to 19. Once I gained my lost level back, I had planned to take a different feat. Well, you cannot do that. When you take a level, it's forever, so pick your feats carefully.

To get back on the topic, I wonder if the craft wondrous item feat is really necessary. I tend to believe it's a waste of a feat since you can find most items ingame. My party is almost equipped with the best items of their kind (+6 amulet of health, +6 circlets of intellect, etc).

I won't deny that the craft magic armor and weapons is a must-have feat. Really useful.

As far as spell focus feats go, I have mixed feelings with those.

My cleric uses a lot the harm and mass harm feats, so the necromancy school focus is something to be considered.

My wizard uses mostly evocation/direct damage spells, so I went with evocation spell focus and greater spell focus.
I also took spell focus for the necromancy and enchantment schools, just in case.

VentilatorOfDoom: why do you disagree with my choice? Do you believe that evocation spells are weak as such? I mostly use them as they let me target multiple enemies and give me some versatility concerning elemental resistances/weaknesses. I don't use that much enchantment or/and necromancy spells. Am I missing something here?
rpgamer
Centaur (CR 3)

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG