ending question (spoilers)

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Postby fred718 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:13 pm

I just finished the game. I have a couple of quick questions:

(1) After talking to the duke upon rescuing the princess, the screen went completely black. Clicking the mouse returned me to the game, where I was given a congratulations message. Was there some cutscene or graphic that I was supposed to have seen instead of the black screen?

(2) I have read that there is some optional battle at the knight's keep when continuing play after winning. I went to the keep and talked to the commander, but there was no special fight triggered. Am I doing something wrong? [Nevermind: I didn't liberate Norglade]

To the developer:

I enjoyed the game, but there were some moments of real frustration. The huge red dragon/cultists fight, and the final lich battle were real pains in the $#!@. The overuse of sealing off the exits, unfair ambushes, and limiting rest areas was unnecessary. Furthermore, judicious use of multiple saves was necessary to prevent unwinnable situations (ex. undead tower). Keep in mind that not everyone is a hardcore gamer. Forcing this difficulty down the player's throat without difficulty level options is a case study in bad design. I clearly see the potential of your game. Your AI is quite good...light years better than any D&D game I've ever played. This was a very impressive achievement for an indie game developer. You did a lot right with the game. Learn from your mistakes, and the sequel will be phenomenal.

Bottom line:

Pros
+ Great implemetation of D&D ruleset
+ Charming old school graphics and sound
+ Good interface
+ Good length (took me ~25 hours)
+ Great AI

Cons
- Inconsistent difficulty (insane at times)
- Closing off exits (can create unwinnable situations)
- Limited rest areas (in some places)
- Unavoidable ambushes
- Limited classes/races
- No skill system
fred718
Goblin (CR 1/3)

Advert

Re: ending question (spoilers)

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:57 pm

Thank you for these comments, fred718!

After talking to the duke upon rescuing the princess, the screen went completely black.
OK this is a bug as there should be a graphic of the throne room. What's your operating system and did you play in full screen or windowed?

Am I doing something wrong? [Nevermind: I didn't liberate Norglade]
Yes, you have to do this first.

I agree that a more consistent difficulty level would be better. It's related to the issue of expected player-character level.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby fred718 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:09 pm

OK this is a bug as there should be a graphic of the throne room. What's your operating system and did you play in full screen or windowed?

My system specs:

Pentium 4 3.0 Hyper-threaded CPU
Windows XP 32bit OS
2 GB SDRAM
ATI Radeon X1950 256MB
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS

I tried both full screen and windowed, but the effect was the same. I should probably be more specific about the exact problem. After rescuing the princess, I am transported to the throne room. There are three bits of dialogue with the duke. After clicking continue the third time (after the duke mentions how my heroics will be told throughout the Crimson Coast--and I hear the sound of a journal entry being logged), the screen turns black. When I click the mouse, I am returned to the throne room where I am asked whether or not I wish to continue playing or return to the main menu. I hope this helps you locate the problem. Thanks.
fred718
Goblin (CR 1/3)

Postby BlueSalamander » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:30 pm

Thank you. Yes, I reproduced it. That's going to force me to release a new update.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:55 am

You should include an autosave before entering the undead tower, and auto-saves when quitting the game in ironman-mode.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Waterd103 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:39 pm

Im ok but at the same time worried wit complains about difficulty. I Think KOTC is amazing except for the fatal flaw that is too easy if you dont restrict yourself. I failed my two ironman runs because I didnt know you need cleric in the game (since there is no easy access cleric early on , nor there are potions and the like and cleric is the only class that can use scrolls or wands of heals). But at the third try i went through the game like a breeze no problem with 2 clerics, and finish the game without ever be close to losing a battle ever once.

Now I tried several times with loads of restrictions, and im losing quite a bit tough. I think there should be ways to adjust difficult. It would be egocentric of me to ask to not make the game any easier when people are complaining its too difficult. But I also want to be able to enjoy the game and for that i need it to be more difficult not easier.

I think you can lower the difficulty right now with all 18 stats and max hp per level tough. So i dont know.

Of course the difference of perceived difficulties may be only a function of using scribe scrolls or not. What i mean is that without scribe scroll I agree the game is quite hard (as is how im playing now). And maybe players that perceive the game to be too hard for one reason or another are not using that properly. But scribe scrolls is in the game, and with it the game is pretty easy imo. So I dont see the problem.
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG