A Few Questions about types of Fighters

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Postby deathknight1728 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:55 pm

Im currently playing the re-remake of avernum which i at first really couldn't get into. I found that when playing a create a party rpg game like that, icewind dale, toee, or knights of the chalice, i can get into the game only if i have my leader of the party as some kind of warrior of some type. I found that when i play games like that with 2 or more fighters or rangers, i lose track of who is leading the party when it comes to sheer power. I know it might not make sense but i'm used to there being a differentiation of characters instead of just same old same old.

Ive played KotC a little a year ago but never got to complete it, something i would like to do.
My question is that since i use 1 warrior with 3 mages/priests, what types of melee-fighter characters are there in this game?

Note-when I say melee fighter i mean like for example Avernum has 1-Dualwielding 2-Polearm, 3 Sword and board, each being different. What different types of melee fighters are there and what excels at what. Any info that anyone has would be much appreciated.
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Re: A Few Questions about types of Fighters

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:13 am

I'd say you have a few choices:

- Longsword and Shield: provides the best Armour Class. Switch to a mace or flail when fighting things like Skeletons.

- Two-handed Greatsword: very effective in the lower levels. You deal more damage when doing AOOs, Cleave attacks, Whirlwind attacks, and 'move+attack' actions. And with some weapons like the halberd you deal double damage if the enemy is charging and you have selected ready versus approach.

- Dual wielding: focus on both Strength and Dexterity (15) and use two Short Swords. Very effective in the higher levels thanks to weapon magical damage and effects.

- Dexterity build: your character will be good at archery and he will have a high dexterity-based armour class. You can take Weapon Finesse and use a Short Sword or Rapier.

- Skilled build: you can focus on generalist feats like Improved Grapple, Improved Bullrush, Quick draw for more flexibility.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby deathknight1728 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:30 pm

I have a question to anyone that knows. Can you use bull rush to push an enemy into an ally to get a coordinated attack or flank?
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:43 am

You can push an enemy towards an ally and then, if necessary, use a five-foot step to position yourself for flanking.
But it seems easier to just move your two characters near the enemy.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby kofikingston » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:17 am

I preferably use to longsword and shield for fighter class, better equilibrium dealing with defence and offence...
Also more on buff skills for mostly its build.up,

kofikingston
Kobold (CR 1/4)

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG