Any chances of the game coming to some modern distribution?

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Re: Any chances of the game coming to some modern distribution?

Postby Borsook » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:47 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:O.k. GOG has replied. That makes them better than other distribution sites. At least they talk. Credit where it's due :)
Now for the actual outcome of talks you'll have to wait, but I would say it's not going in the right direction.
In essence, GOG wants to distribute KotC but not BotS. My initial goal was more like the opposite.

Maybe you will get them to cut a double deal, i.e. distribute both. Plus I guess if KotC sold well at their site they might look at Bots differently :) Keeping my fingers crossed for negotiations! They are usually rather sensible people.
Borsook
Ettin (CR 6)

Advert

Postby aramazon » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:42 pm

Check out the email reply I got from GOG for my support ticket asking them to get KotC:

Our BizDev department is currently really occupied by many indie games submissions so they probably missed this one. I apologize for their mistake and will make sure they reply to the Knights of the Chalice maker right away.

Regards,
Natalia
GOG.com Support

They just needed a friendly reminder :D
aramazon
Goblin (CR 1/3)

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:51 am

BlueSalamander wrote:O.k. GOG has replied. That makes them better than other distribution sites. At least they talk. Credit where it's due :)
Now for the actual outcome of talks you'll have to wait, but I would say it's not going in the right direction.
In essence, GOG wants to distribute KotC but not BotS. My initial goal was more like the opposite.

Understandable. No offense, but nobody really cares about BotS whereas everybody knows KotC is a gem. A bundle deal might be your best bet.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby nonadventurer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:12 pm

You know, these days if you're an indie developer, being offered a distribution deal for any of your games is already a great boon. So if they want to distribute KotC, go for it, seriously! It's a chance not many developers get, and you know and I know and everybody knows your games deserve more publicity and sales. You can always convince them to distribute BotS later.
nonadventurer
Kobold (CR 1/4)

Postby BlueSalamander » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:14 am

First off, VentilatorOfDoom, I would really appreciate it if you didn't come to my forum to tell me that no-one cares about one of my products (that's your warning). You have the point of view of the RPG player but that's not the only point of view out there. Being its creator, I obviously do care about BotS. Some RTS players may like BotS, in the same way that some readers may like my book. Your opinion is not the universal one and it's not the only one that matters.

In addition, anyone interested in seeing another game like KotC should care about BotS too, because the viability of any business depends on its sales. I've said it before, but I don't get paid anything for the humongous amount of work that KotC 2 requires. Financially, it does not make sense to do it. That's one of the reasons why I had to split the work between two games.

nonadventurer wrote:these days if you're an indie developer, being offered a distribution deal for any of your games is already a great boon.
This may seem at odds with what I've just said above, but money is not everything. If the relationship with the distributor is one where the distributor gets all decision power, and the developer gets none, then I'm not interested. That doesn't mean I won't do a deal for KotC alone or for both games. It's something I'll determine from talks with GOG, in my own time.

I would also very much dispute the idea that getting a distribution deal for any game is always a great boon. In any case, you're not in the position that I'm in, so you cannot make the assessment that only I can make as to whether a distribution deal would be good or not. Finally, I don't consider that it is particularly urgent for me to get any of my games on a distribution site. I hope that clarifies things. I am now locking this thread.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Previous

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG