RPGCodex very happy

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Re: RPGCodex very happy

Postby Gribble » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:09 pm

Do I have any of those options in the demo, Blue?

I'm plunked into the world with a pre-made party. If I can alter the feats or the skills I don't see how.

The fight before the troll pit was a great one. That's actually what got me to want to buy the game. It was a challenge. I had to try several times and adopt new strategies. In the troll pit that isn't an option. My party will literally wipe before I ever get a turn. How do you defend that? If it doesn't outright wipe, it will be rendered so weak as to be unable to win the battle.

Go down the stairs and see for yourself. You're right there.

I'm sorry if I seem like a total pain. If this were any other game I wouldn't be posting here. However, I feel this one has a lot of potential. It took me totally by surprise and I think it would be a blast to play--if it weren't for dead ends like this. D&D certainly has an element of luck to it. However, the player generally has some ability to influence the game and bend luck into his or her favor. The encounter I'm complaining about doesn't make that an option.
Gribble
Manticore (CR 5)

Advert

Postby Over » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:14 pm

Gribble wrote:Do I have any of those options in the demo, Blue?

I'm plunked into the world with a pre-made party. If I can alter the feats or the skills I don't see how.

You can when you level up. Character creation (and leveling up) is a real part of the strategy. You should also try to think a little bit outside of the box. With nowadays RPG, we get too used to just buy the biggest sword and charge the enemies, ignoring all other options and details. ;)
Over
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Gribble » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:16 pm

I take back everything I said. I see the problem. I wasn't leveling up. Okay. Here's my new suggestion: have a ding sound when a character achieves a new level.

So yeah, that made all the difference. The game is purchased now and I'll shortly have the demo finished. Sorry.
Gribble
Manticore (CR 5)

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:19 pm

You do get the max HP on level up option - but you need to have it on before levelling up your characters... Please do try the demo again with this option on. (You could just sprint towards that troll cave...)

As for the feats, you can select them when levelling up.

I agree that this fight is probably a tad too hard. Previously it had only the 2 fighter trolls, but I thought that was too easy.
Let's wait and see what other players say. I may modify it like you said (give the initiative to the party) if all agree.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:21 pm

Cool! I'm glad we found out where the problem was. 'Ding' sound is a good idea for a later update. I will collect suggestions and see what can be put in.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Gribble » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:15 pm

Oh, the fight isn't too difficult at all now. Sorry for all the rigmarole. Heck, I could probably drop down in that pit of undead and do just fine. I was trying to fight two trolls and a shaman with starting level characters.
Gribble
Manticore (CR 5)

Previous

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG