love the game, wondering about patch

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Postby Wildeyn » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Hi. This is a wonderful game; I came to it yesterday from gamebanshee and I'm loving it. I'm 36, from the States. I'm trying the 2 cleric, 2 wizard strategy (before reading that it was the second recommended party in the faq). I can tell that the game will be quite challenging, which is very refreshing.

I highly recommend this to anybody who is wondering. I agree with you down the line about your design notes philosophy, by the way, except for perhaps preferring to have one character to several, although your point about the character then needing to be a jack of all trades is quite valid. I'm finding that I enjoy the party-based nature of this game quite well, despite my mild preference for solo chars.

I'm running into a few bugs, so I'm hoping that a quick and simple patch can come soon. After beating the water elems and orcs, my wizards leveled as knights regarding hps and not getting new spells, although they do correctly show up, and presumably act, as 2nd lvl wizards now. I believe that I also ran into a bit of weirdness with sharing spells not working perfectly. Also, when you scroll through your chars in the char info screens, the stats for the weapon and AC and such tend to lag one char behind, so it you scroll from your morningstar wielding cleric with 17 ac to your dagger wielding wiz with 18 ac, it will correctly say that you are looking at your wiz, but it will list him as wielding a morningstar (with to hit and dam for the cleric still as well) with the 17 cleric ac.

Thanks,
David
Wildeyn
Goblin (CR 1/3)

Advert

Re: love the game, wondering about patch

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:38 pm

Thank you for your post & purchase, Wildeyn.

Wildeyn wrote:my wizards leveled as knights regarding hps and not getting new spells
I don't think there's a bug here - they won't pick up new spells if you already have all spells of a given level.
Remember: to get level 2 spells you need to be level 3, to get level 3 spells you need to be level 5, etc.

I believe that I also ran into a bit of weirdness with sharing spells not working perfectly.
Any additional info on exactly what's wrong with this will be appreciated.

Wildeyn wrote:the stats for the weapon and AC and such tend to lag one char behind, so it you scroll from your morningstar wielding cleric with 17 ac to your dagger wielding wiz with 18 ac, it will correctly say that you are looking at your wiz, but it will list him as wielding a morningstar (with to hit and dam for the cleric still as well) with the 17 cleric ac.
I will look into this.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Wildeyn » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:57 pm

Hi Blue Salamander,

You were right about a couple of things; my apologies. I got a bit confused regarding sharing spells and having all spells, and leveling. The sharing spells and gaining spells (or not gaining them because you already have them all) works properly.

Two bugs stand; one of my wizards, who had 16 con, gained 11 hps when he went to lvl 2. And, the char stats screen doesn't switch all stuff, such as weapon wielded and ac. I think that everything below the class and level box lags a char behind for some reason as you scroll.

Thanks,
David
Wildeyn
Goblin (CR 1/3)

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:03 pm

Wildeyn wrote:Two bugs stand; one of my wizards, who had 16 con, gained 11 hps when he went to lvl 2. And, the char stats screen doesn't switch all stuff, such as weapon wielded and ac.
Right, I will look into these things. The 11 hp certainly sounds weird.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:16 pm

Just fixed the bugs. The new version is 1.04:

- fixed toughness feat (picking the feat during a level up didn't work)
- fixed the left/right arrows in the character screen, with the weapons not updating properly
- fixed the HP dice rolls. This problem occured only when using random rolls (not Maximum HP) AND when you had swapped some of your party members.

All existing customers can download the new file in the download area, and new buyers will get the 1.04 automatically.

I'll update the demo later on.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Demiath » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:27 am

On the subject of possible bugs, I noticed that untouched loot from fallen enemies seem to disappear if you reload a saved game (just to clarify: I'm talking about stuff lying right in front of the party when saving the game, not something on a different map screen or anything like that). For example, I attacked the Orc Stockade and killed all the regular soldiers, only to be ambushed by the Tiger while picking up the loot. The next time I wisely decided to save just before picking up the loot, and after accidently having walked into the Tiger's view range again all the loot was gone when I reloaded the save game (...not that there seemed to be anything particularly valuable on those orcs).
Demiath
Marilith (CR 17)
Master of the Magic Lens
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:33 pm

Ah yes, this is a feature not a bug :-)
Cheap, non-essential loot just goes away when you leave an area or when you reload a saved game.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Lurking Grue » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:31 pm

Will old save games (from v1.03) work with v1.04? I'm guessing they do, but there have been games where old saves won't work with the new patch, so I'm asking to be sure before patching.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Lurking Grue
Chimera (CR 7)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Demiath » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:02 pm

Ah yes, this is a feature not a bug
Cheap, non-essential loot just goes away when you leave an area or when you reload a saved game.

Oh, I see. I guess that saves instinctive loot hoarders like me the trouble of having to go on those obsessive compulsive trips back and forth to a shop keeper just to sell off junk for 5 gold coins each....

Will old save games (from v1.03) work with v1.04? I'm guessing they do, but there have been games where old saves won't work with the new patch, so I'm asking to be sure before patching.

Don't worry, I installed 1.04 and my save games worked just fine.
Last edited by Demiath on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demiath
Marilith (CR 17)
Master of the Magic Lens
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands

Postby Paul.Illes » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:51 pm

Thanks for the quick patch! I'll download and use that.

I'm wondering what will happen if my max downloads (10 times) will run off and there'll be another patch?
Paul.Illes
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice

Next

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG