Demo v1.36, Full v1.36

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Re: Demo v1.25, Full v1.25

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:10 pm

I've uploaded 1.25 after I noticed a crash when saving games in the demo with Vista. That was the weirdest bug. Fixed by moving a few lines of code from point A to point B. Why? No idea. Also fixes a flicker which happened when using the Break Free action and a problem with the music code. Otherwise the same as 1.24.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Re: Demo v1.25, Full v1.25

Advert

Re: Demo v1.26, Full v1.25

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:20 pm

Right, I've finally found out what exactly was causing that weird bug in 1.24 when saving demo games with Vista.
It doesn't affect the full game but it may still affect the demo 1.25 in some Vista or Windows 7 installations. So I've uploaded a new Demo version 1.26.

For programmers out there, it was an uninitialized variable (the number of quests in the quest journal - 0 when you start a demo game). Sounds simple, but it created a problem only in the demo version, only in Vista, only when compiled with Visual C++ 2008 not 2005, and only in release mode with optimizations not in debug mode... :shock:
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Re: Demo v1.26, Full v1.25

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:25 pm

lesson learned: always initialize your vars
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Re: Demo v1.27, Full v1.27

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:32 pm

Hi, I have used BoundsChecker to remove some remaining bugs.

The result is version 1.27. It should be much safer to play Ironman (and normal) games. If you find any remaining instances of crashes or games getting stuck, please post it here. Thanks!
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Matt999 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:44 am

Hey, hello everyone. I'm pretty much a first-timer on this forum.

Let me start by saying how much I appreciate your game. I have finished demo version a couple of times and must say that I'm very impressed. It's been ages since I played a tactical RPG this good. Naturally, I'm going to eventually purchase the full version, but before that I have an issue about the demo version that I hope you will address.

Until now I have used version 1.15. Needless to say I had a blast of a time :D . Just before making the decision about buying the game I decided to test the new features you introduced (e.g. cleric's turn undead). Unfortunately I just can't install it.

Having completely removed the previous version of the program once I installed 1.27 the game just won't run. I keep getting a KOTC Demo.exe - System error. Could not run application - could not locate d3dx_35.dll. To address the issue please re-install programme. Apparently the game can't locate DirectX 9 file. No wonder since I'm using Windows7.

Furthermore, my version of OS is not English the phrasing may be a little bit different from the message you would get. The gist, though, stays the same.

I tried running the setup file normally and with administrative right, to no avail.

Failing that I once again returned to KOTC demo 1.15 - and it works like a dream:) Which makes me wonder - how's it possible that the performance of the newer installment leaves a lot to be desired.

Still, this little problem prevents me from buying the full game - not sure if I'll encouter it in the complete game. I would very much appreciate it if you could help find the right solution.

Thanks in advance. 8-)
Matt999
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:47 am

Hello Matt999,

Someone reported this to me earlier. It's entirely due to DirectX. Please go to Microsoft's website and download the latest DirectX, and the game will work.
I'm going to mention that on the Download page.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:33 am

I have modified the installer so that it now checks whether you have the d3dx9_35.dll file, and if not, asks to visit Microsoft's site to download DirectX. The latest version number is still 1.27. I hope it's working all right Matt999?
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Matt999 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Yeah, it's now working perfectly BlueSalamander .
Now buying your game's total no-brainer :D.

And thank you for your prompt reply.
Matt999
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Luminon » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:04 pm

Hello.
I downloaded KoTC1 demo v.1,27. When I tried to install it, it gave a message that DirectX can't be detected. Of course I have Directx, all other games dependent on it work fine. But to be sure, I downloaded 9,0c version and installed it, which didn't help.
I downloaded version of KoTC 1,15, installed it and it works fine. So I DO have a Directx, just the detecting gadget doesn't work. I suggest to change it into a mere warning message, that does not prevent installation of the demo or game.
I have Windows XP, service pack 2, and it seems I'll keep having it for some more years.

So far, the demo seems nice. It's nicely Windows-like smooth, the only thing that really bothers me is interface. Last time I saw so many colors was when I smoked some herbs. It's really confusing. I don't hate retro or minimalistic graphics, but the interface doesn't need to have all colors of rainbow with maximum saturation. Furthermore, it would need some reduction of clunkiness - I lust after a button that shuts down universally all windows or interfaces, one after another. But I've got the older version and I didn't see a change list.
Luminon
Kuo-toa (CR 2)

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:51 pm

Hello Luminon,

The important thing is: do you have in your C:\Windows\System32\ folder a file called d3dx9_35.dll ? As far as I know, installing DirectX from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35 adds this file to your folder.
If you don't have it, the game won't work, so it's no use allowing to install. Please let me know if it's there.

You can remove the display of actions with the A key, the display of rolls with the TAB key, and you can use Space to close most information screens.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

PreviousNext

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG