Bought the game, loving it, and a pile of thoughts

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Re: Bought the game, loving it, and a pile of thoughts

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:58 pm

Please let me know also if it still lags. Might be due to the attack problem, or maybe not.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Advert

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:20 pm

Since v1.11 I didn't experience the lag anymore.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:41 pm

Great. That attack bug was pretty awful, apparently. A tiny bit of code I inadvertently crushed while doing version 1.10.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby some_name » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:40 pm

One quick question:
Freedom of Movement, as well as "curing" paralysis/grapple/etc, also prevents thos effects from happening during the duration of the spell. Is there any way to cast the spell (in battle) as a "preventitive"? Currently, it only lets me cast it if someone is already afflicted with the condition; it would be nice to be able to cast it if I'm expecting to be grappled in a turn or two.

Also, if your party has one cleric, and he goes down, is there any way to get him revived?

P.S.- Loving the game, currently in the second floor of the fire pits. The fight with the Balor, aside from being awesome itself, had one of the coolest set-ups ever.
some_name
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby xalles » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:33 am

90) Bug: I encountered a weird bug while playing 1.12. I went to Zap an Acid Ray wand (I picked up at Knight's Keep) with one of my wizards. I canceled the zap two times. Then I Used a Magic missile scroll (I scribed) instead. I hit one enemy with one missile, then without realizing the targeting cursor had changed, I shot the enemy with her crossbow in the same round! This use of the magic missile scroll did actually destroy the scroll; I had 3 scrolls going into the fight, and 3 scrolls after winning. Here's a screenshot of the combat history after her turn.

I attached a save just before the fight where this happened.

A similar thing happened back in 1.11 (might have been 1.10), but I didn't get a screenshot. When I zapped Magic Missile from a wand, I could only use one missile since there weren't any more targets in my line of sight. On that character's next turn, I zapped the same wand again and got one missile (only). Then I zapped it again in the same round (!) and got the full three missiles (the character was level 6 at the time). IIRC, using the wand twice in the second round did not remove two charges, but I'm not sure.

Edit: Here's another example where I can use a Magic Missile wand twice in one round. I don't think the canceling shown here made a difference, but I had partially used Magic Missile wands on other characters in this fight before this round.

91) Interface: I think it'd be cool if you could see a target's name/condition/HP info for an AOE spell as well as single-target, like here.

92) Bug?: Is this armor (I renamed it), found in the tomb of the southwest cave guarded by babaus, supposed to have armor check penalty 2? Unless it's special armor, according to the rules it should be 5.

93) Bug: Left-click attacking on a target 10 feet away through tall grass causes a five-foot step and full-attack when a five-foot step isn't allowed. Here's an example: before after. Note the movement arrow (in the first picture) is green.

94) Interface: When I attacked an Iron Golem (Colossus) with a flaming weapon while the golem was a at full HP, the healing splatter art (like this one) appeared with no number on it. IMO, it shouldn't appear at all if the amount is zero.

95) Typo: "acient" in default character description.

96) Interface: I noticed item names are automatically put in "Capitalized Form" everywhere except when you go to sell them: before after
Attachments
KOTC save7.rar
(247.83 KiB) Downloaded 613 times
Last edited by xalles on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
What's with people who answer their own questions? I guess they're just stupid.
xalles
Fire Giant (CR 10)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby some_name » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:06 am

Glitch- Can't cast mind blank on a dominated ally (game says that it's "not an ally").
Last edited by some_name on Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
some_name
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:29 pm

Sorry about the download limit problem. I have sorted it out. If anyone has trouble downloading in the future please email enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com.

Freedom of Movement, as well as "curing" paralysis/grapple/etc, also prevents thos effects from happening during the duration of the spell. Is there any way to cast the spell (in battle) as a "preventitive"? Currently, it only lets me cast it if someone is already afflicted with the condition; it would be nice to be able to cast it if I'm expecting to be grappled in a turn or two.
I will fix that in the next update.

Also, if your party has one cleric, and he goes down, is there any way to get him revived?
No.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby xalles » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:00 am

Here's a *mid-game spoilers* screen I caught that I thought was pretty funny, but not a bug or anything. The spell was Disintegrate. Note that Rogada doesn't have Improved Critical (ranged touch), so this is pretty rare.

97) I've seen it mentioned a few other places, and after playing again I'd agree: An auto-sell shortcut could be pretty cool, to avoid having to drag so many items over to sell them. The best shortcut I can think of would be to sell an item to a shop automatically if you CTRL-left-click it. Also, if the player is holding CTRL while mousing over one of his items while at a shop, the "sell question" could appear in the lower right as if the player had picked up the item with the mouse.

98) May want to allow wands to be craftable without the player having a chargeless wand. Otherwise the player has to either carry around chargeless wands as he finds/uses them, or he has to have the forge weapon feat on one of his guys.

One way to possibly get around the wand requirement: if the player just clicks "Craft" in the inventory or "Wand" on the spell screen, and then selects a spell, the game could create a mundane, non-masterwork wand with the chosen spell on it. The player could still charge a specific wand by dragging it onto the "Craft" command in the inventory.

99) Bug: I cast Finger of Death on a sleeping Hill Giant in the front room of the Fortress. He saved, but the damage from the spell didn't wake him up. I attached a save right at them in case it helps.

100) I noticed a collision problem with one of the doodads in the Tower.

101) Did you mean for non-magical masterwork items to start with a lower case word? I think it looks a little weird.

102) Here's an *mid-game spoilers* enemy that was really hard to target with a Magic Missile. The fight took place at the NE corner of Taneriz. Like my #18, I one way to make this easier would be to allow the player to scroll the map to the right to allow room for the combat menu and in this case the self-targeting list.
Attachments
KOTC save8.rar
(252.24 KiB) Downloaded 595 times
xalles
Fire Giant (CR 10)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby wynams » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:54 pm

Purchased yesterday & having great time.

Good Job!
Currently playing: Gothic III CP1.7 QP3, Knights of the Chalice
Games left to finish: King's Bounty, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (Vent. Dominatrix - Companions mod)
Games to replay: Gothic II NotR
wynams
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby xalles » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:53 am

103) Bug: *mid-game spoiler* I came upon three gnolls in the Deep Tunnels under the Fortress from the opposite direction than the game expected (I took the water route). Choosing to fight here did nothing.

104) Interface: It'd be cool if "Gold Cost:" and "XP Cost:" on spell descriptions linked to a list of all spells that cost gold and XP, respectively (or just one list). The list(s) could include what those costs are for easy reference.

105) Interface: Similar to this: At level up, could draw blue squares (or maybe red to differentiate) around spells that another wizard in the party knows, or another cleric who has scribe scroll knows. Could have the tooltip say something like "<name> already knows this spell and can share/scribe it".

106) Interface: The "Share Spells" button on the spell screen could show the total gold and XP cost for the action of sharing in a tooltip. Could also list how many spells are being shared or other info, if there's room.

107) May not want to recommend (at level-up) forging/crafting feats that another party member has already. Of course it would matter if the other member who has the feat is the same class as the member you're leveling up, in the cases of Craft Wand and Scribe Scroll. (May want to recommend Scribe Scroll regardless of this idea.)

108) Interface: It might be cool to be able to cycle through the spell screens of different party members for quick comparison. When cycling, could show blank page for knights, or simply skip over them. Here's a mockup of what I mean, but there are probably better places those buttons could go.

109) Bug: Automatically walking to pick up gold on the ground causes a weird Gold item to appear in my inventory. I can't sell it, but have to destroy it (it's worth 1 gold heh). If the gold on the ground is in range when I loot it, the weird item doesn't spawn. I've attached a save near some gold if you want to test it out.
Attachments
KOTC save9.rar
(254.15 KiB) Downloaded 631 times
xalles
Fire Giant (CR 10)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

PreviousNext

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG