Bought the game, loving it, and a pile of thoughts

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Re: Bought the game, loving it, and a pile of thoughts

Postby Over » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:35 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:
Pod wrote:Identify used wands in the interface - is it possible to draw one of those flashy red squares around wands that have 0 charges, please?
Good idea.

I would rather place a number in the top-right corner (like the arrows/bolts) than a flashy red square. Specially because that colour mens it's not equipable by that class (at least that's so with the scrolls).
Over
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Advert

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:02 am

Yes, even better.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Lurking Grue » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:23 pm

xalles wrote:9) The combat cursor should remember the individual character's last left-click targeted action (melee attack/ranged attack/view enemy), rather than the party's last action. For instance, it's a little awkward when my archer shoots something and then next turn my tank in melee range suddenly wants to shoot something too! Also, I rarely want my wizard to attack at all (he just views things and casts spells).

Hear, hear! This would be a very welcome addition. Cannot count the times I've almost accidentally shot some adjacent enemy with an arrow when the actions switches from a back row archer to a front line tank.

Also, the number of charges remaining in a wand shown on the item icon would be great!
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Lurking Grue
Chimera (CR 7)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby xalles » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:41 pm

More small ideas:

16) Interface: Keen weapons should show an increased critical threat range in their descriptions.

Also, I think a character's weapons' critical range/multiplier info should be displayed in more places. For instance is there anywhere the player can see the effects of having an Improved Critical feat? (I haven't tried the feat out yet. So many good feats!)

It doesn't look like there's room on the character sheet for critical info but is there room on the inventory screen under the attack/damage line? The text there would have to be shifted some, but it looks like there is just barely room for 9 lines of text (3 lines for each of 3 weapons) in that bottom-right panel. Of course having that much text there might make things awfully busy/hard to read.

An alternative would be to put the critical info in the damage bonus modifier readout (what you see when you click the "+02" after the "1D04"). You could list any applicable Improved Critical feat and Keen enchantment here as well.

If you displayed the critical info on the inventory screen instead, you could have a separate readout for it display when the player clicks that.

17) Interface: It might be nice to be able to cycle through all enemies' character sheets when you view one in combat, like you can cycle through your characters' sheets (with the little gray arrows in the upper right of the sheet). This would be especially useful at the beginning of a fight to get a full readout of what you're up against.

You could even have the screen center on the enemy you're currently at, so that when you're done looking, the enemy you were just viewing is right there in front of you. You could also center the screen on the current friendly character whose character sheet you're looking at. You already have "H: center on active character" to compliment these ideas.

18) Interface: The combat menu can be very obstructive when the map cannot scroll to the right. One way I can think of to fix this might be to allow the map to scroll into black space to the right if there is no map, if only to allow room for the combat menu. If the player hides the menu at this point, the game could scroll back to the edge of the map. The same might apply for the combat roll readout when a fight takes place on the left edge of the map, but at that panel is both more transparent, and less useful to have open all the time IMO (I look at it only occasionally).

In the meantime I've been hiding the combat menu for the most part, but there are a lot of keyboard shortcuts to learn. The other downside to hiding the combat menu is that it reminds you what all your options are, so it's nice to have it open when possible.
What's with people who answer their own questions? I guess they're just stupid.
xalles
Fire Giant (CR 10)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby xalles » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:15 pm

19) Question: Are you supposed to be able to see all enemies roaming around a pre-explored local map once you reenter it? I guess it allows surprise attack opportunities but it seems kind of weird to see enemies your party doesn't have line of sight to. Seeing the enemies march around does look cool.

20) Question: Does running from random battles on the world map ever fail? If not I think it should occasionally, possibly with a success chance based on party level vs. enemy group level/CR, and possibly with the enemies getting a surprise round against you (or spawn closer to the party) if running fails.

A similar idea might be to add random (also possibly surprise-round) battles when you rest in dangerous places. This might already be in place, but I haven't seen one yet (just entered Taneliz).

21) Interface: When targeting a spell, and a "ready" action by an enemy interrupts the spell: if the spell is still castable (the caster wasn't killed/stunned/etc. and the spell wasn't countered), the targeting cursor should automatically be put back where the player was targeting the spell before the caster got interrupted.
xalles
Fire Giant (CR 10)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby xalles » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:07 pm

22) Bug: This one is very hard to reproduce, but I thought I'd report it anyway. I've attached a save file in the vicinity of the bug in case it helps you find it.

Taneriz *spoilers*
The bug happens with the fight at the House of Jewels in Taneriz.

Steps to reproduce:
i) Click on the door to the House of Jewels to open it.
ii) When given the option. smash the door open.
iii) Begin the ensuing fight.
iv) Charge the enemy cleric, by left-clicking on her with the sword icon selected, with the party leader (Hrothgar).

Result: Game locks up entirely.

I've only gotten this to happen if Hrothgar got the first move (highest initiative), and even then it doesn't always happen. I've tried the battle a few times and I haven't gotten the crash to happen any other way. I've gotten the crash to happen twice total. The first time I listened at the door before I smashed it, second time I didn't.

When the crash happened, I had to use Task Manager to close the game (I'm running the game on XP Pro SP3. I can provide more system specs if they'd be helpful).

If I come across this bug somewhere else, I'll let you know.
Attachments
KOTC save2.rar
(250.25 KiB) Downloaded 696 times
xalles
Fire Giant (CR 10)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby xalles » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:33 pm

23) While the party is moving out of combat, the game should only pause movement if the mouse cursor is moved by the player onto a targetable object, not if such an object moves under the mouse cursor as the result the map scrolling (or the object itself moving). A subtle difference, but this would allow the party to move long distances over the map without any chance of being interrupted (unless the player moves the mouse to interact with something).
xalles
Fire Giant (CR 10)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby getter77 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:27 pm

Running from randoms never fails...and to me that works very well so people who don't want/have the time on a quick play/travel don't have to deal with it...but it is there for the fighting otherwise as there are some surprising fights you can have in them and nowhere else in the game....
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby xalles » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:09 am

getter77 wrote:...but it is there for the fighting otherwise as there are some surprising fights you can have in them and nowhere else in the game....

Yeah this is pretty cool. I've run into some weird stuff. *spoiler* The random high-level dragon fights are always fun! I also appreciate that I can use the random battles to pad my gold and EXP for crafting purposes. ;)

Here's another round of stuff I encountered in the game before I call it a night.

24) It's hard to see the color of combat movement arrows around certain corners. One solution would be to make them bigger. Another might be to center them on the square rather than align them to the lower-right of the square.

25) I think the dice game in Knight's Keep should show the rolls in the dialogue (or elsewhere). Also, in Taneliz, the game master should explain the rules of the game and/or show dice rolls. Although I did hear he cheats...

26) Does the "hours" listed for each save in the save game list mean hours played? Because all my saves currently say "3 hours" or "4 hours" and I've been playing a whole lot longer than that so far.

27) In the second elemental fight at Knight's Keep, when one of the earth elementals moved on top of Quoris, I couldn't target it with attacks. Not sure if this happens with other non-combatants.

28) On the scroll of Greater Disintegrate (found at vendor in Vanicia), the hyperlink to the spell itself in the scroll's description does not work.

Same with Acid Blast scroll found at same vendor. (These two spells have slightly different names in the F1 help text: Greater Disintegration and Acid Burst. Not sure if this is related.)

Edit: spelled location very wrong

29) After rescuing the villagers at Corinth, it looks like one has spawned under the NW table of 6 tables in the NE building in the center circle of buildings (he blinks pink on map view). You can barely see him on the screen.
Last edited by xalles on Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xalles
Fire Giant (CR 10)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:57 am

Thanks for all the new comments. On the "hours" played: if you spend time on a game, then reload to an earlier save, the game won't record that bit of time.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

PreviousNext

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG