Small text font (see example)

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Re: Small text font (see example)

Postby skavenhorde » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:37 pm

getter77 wrote:but yeah people do tend to flip out at all caps as well.

Why? Do they think they are on a forum and everyone is shouting at them ;)
skavenhorde
Griffon (CR 4)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Postby Demiath » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:09 pm

skavenhorde wrote:
Why? Do they think they are on a forum and everyone is shouting at them ;)

I'M NOT SHOUTING I'M JUST BEING A BIT OFFENSIVE, THAT'S ALL. NO NEED TO WORRY, I'M ALWAYS LIKE THIS. CAN I WHISPER A SECRET TO YOU? NO, REALLY, THIS IS MY NORMAL SPEAKING VOICE!
Demiath
Marilith (CR 17)
Master of the Magic Lens
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands

Postby Pod » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:52 pm

xalles wrote:I never had much trouble reading the current font, but the high-res version does look better I think. The font in this video is super easy to read. I swear I've seen that video's font in another game before...

The font in this video is much, much better.

If the artist drew it himself, how can it be copyrighted? (Unless he copied another one -- but at such a small resolution, surely it's hard to tell?)
Pod
Kolyarut (CR 12)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:46 pm

If I add lower case character only in the dialogues, will that do the trick? Might be doable without too much trouble and the artist is okay with drawing them.

The real problems come with the hyperlink system (since all the clickable links are upper case).
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Demiath » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:33 pm

If I add lower case character only in the dialogues, will that do the trick?

Sounds like a good idea. It's only the dialogue scenes that make my brain hurt; in the rest of the game the upper case characters don't bother me at all.
Demiath
Marilith (CR 17)
Master of the Magic Lens
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands

Postby Merneith » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:54 pm

You know what else might help is more vertical space between each line. Perhaps more horizontal space between words would help too, but that's probably not possible with a fixed width font, I guess.

The thing is, lower case letters and more space between each line helps break up the words into recognizable pieces. When using all caps and with the lines of text so close to each other, it can be hard to pick out the contrast between one word and the next.

When I played the demo, I found myself having to take a minute to orient myself when reading the text in-game, deliberately having to lead my eyes to the start of each specific line and mentally identifying letters. (I know this is not about me personally - I'm just making an example.) There wasn't enough visual contrast between the letters for me to grasp the unit as a word.

Being able to distinguish between words is also why a sans-serif font is often preferred in computer games. The point of the serifs, besides looking pretty, is that they lead the eye along the line of text. On computer monitors, especially at low resolution, the problem is breaking up the line more than keeping it flowing.

I do want to emphasize, I enjoyed the demo and I look forward to playing the full game in the future.
Merneith
Goblin (CR 1/3)

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:22 pm

Behold, the new font in double resolution:

Behold, the new font in triple resolution:

Lower case characters are coming up next. What do you think of these?
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby getter77 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:09 pm

For my take, which may be next to useless since I never had much issue with the original, I'd say it is looking good and distinctive.
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby xalles » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:02 am

Ditto to getter77 on all counts. I'm looking forward to seeing the new font in action, especially with the lower case.
What's with people who answer their own questions? I guess they're just stupid.
xalles
Fire Giant (CR 10)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Previous

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG