Might & Magic 1-6 on GOG

Feel free to post about any of the above topics.

Might & Magic 1-6 on GOG

Postby Demiath » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:30 pm

After having been announced a couple of weeks ago, the so-called Might & Magic VI Limited Edition (just a fancy name for the first six MM games in a convenient 6-pack) has finally been released on GOG. For ten bucks you get an awful lot of gameplay, and even people who own original retail copies of these games (I would imagine that the percentage of users on this forum who got all of them is quite high) might be interested in getting DRM-free downloadable versions which don't require CDs or floppy disks to be installed and played.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/might_and_magic_6_limited_edition
Demiath
Marilith (CR 17)
Master of the Magic Lens
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands

Might & Magic 1-6 on GOG

Advert

Re: Might & Magic 1-6 on GOG

Postby getter77 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:57 pm

It shall live the good life on my GoG Wishlist until I actually manage money/a job again! :)
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:07 pm

I played M&M VI quite a lot but didn't finish it. There was a lot of walking from person A to person B (with monsters constantly respawning) just to get upgraded from Adept to Expert or some such. Combat wasn't very tactical too, just select best spell/weapon and click click click on your characters' portraits. I guess M&M 3 to 5 are better.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby doncorazon » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:38 am

DOSBOX still needed I assume? Just wondering b/c I always struggle with DOSBOXing games like with Master of Magic, I cannot get the volume working.
doncorazon
Kuo-toa (CR 2)

Postby Darkion » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:35 am

doncorazon wrote:DOSBOX still needed I assume? Just wondering b/c I always struggle with DOSBOXing games like with Master of Magic, I cannot get the volume working.

The games come with DOSBox already preconfigured. I haven't encountered any problems, but then I'm on Windows XP, so I don't know if there's any tweaking needed in Vista (or Windows 7).
Darkion
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Demiath » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:00 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:I played M&M VI quite a lot but didn't finish it. There was a lot of walking from person A to person B (with monsters constantly respawning) just to get upgraded from Adept to Expert or some such. Combat wasn't very tactical too, just select best spell/weapon and click click click on your characters' portraits. I guess M&M 3 to 5 are better.

Although I haven't played them much yet, there's no doubt that MM4-5 are the real classics here. Still, MM6 has an addictive, Diablo-like quality despite simplistic combat and that very annoying system for skill upgrades. The sense of character development and progression is handled particularly well; you start out very weak and barely able to survive travelling from one town to the other, while at the end of the game you get to fly around the overworld and drop gigantic area-of-effect spells on vast hordes of enemies. Few RPGs have such satisfying contrasts between the early and late parts of the game.
Demiath
Marilith (CR 17)
Master of the Magic Lens
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands

Return to About cRPGs, RPGs and fantasy books and films