Age of Decadence Combat Beta/Demo

Feel free to post about any of the above topics.

Postby quasimodo » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:57 pm

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/in ... 259.0.html

I thought you guys might like this as its some pretty good TB combat. Its a single character game with the combat resembling that of Fallout 1&2, but with a few more options.

This Beta/Demo shows pretty much combat only, but is does a good job. After creating a character you fight a series of arena fights. After each fight you get some skill points which you put toward various offensive and/or defensive skills. Your opponents are very well designed to give you a different challenge for each fight, and there are quite a few different builds and tactics.
quasimodo
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Re: Age of Decadence Combat Beta/Demo

Postby Demiath » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:54 pm

Thanks, I've known about the game for some time but wasn't aware of this release. As for the demo itself, I have to say it's a bit too difficult for my liking. Part of the problem is the lack of party-based gameplay, as that tends to suck all the fun out of challenging turn-based combat for me (especially when there's no magic, as in this demo). During my first session with the demo I got to the three Barbarii but couldn't defeat them despite trying different character builds and testing various attack options. The interface is somewhat clunky (I still don't get those camera controls) and the awfully anachronistic language ("f.u.c.k.", "get their asses off" etc.) detracts substantially from the game's atmosphere.

All that being said, I'm still looking forward to the full game since the rich quasi-historical settings, complex faction system and Fallout-style Choices & Consequences gameplay all seem so promising...
Demiath
Marilith (CR 17)
Master of the Magic Lens
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands

Postby DonaldDuck » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:40 am

The demo is actually fairly easy, if you build your character right.
Basically, just pump skill points in either dodge or block (chose one), and whatever weapon (skill) you've decided to go with.
And then just apply common sense regarding armor, and net use.
The easiest build seems to be dodge + spear, I cruised thru the arena and the bonus fight with that one.
Personally, I find the combat to be very well done and fun, which kind of came as a surprise (the fun part),
since, like you, I usually find that single character rpg's bore the hell out of me during combat.
DonaldDuck
Chimera (CR 7)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby quasimodo » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:48 am

The spear/dodge was the easiest one for me as well. I was also suprised a single character TB system to be that good.
quasimodo
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Demiath » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:39 am

DonaldDuck wrote:The demo is actually fairly easy, if you build your character right.
Basically, just pump skill points in either dodge or block (chose one), and whatever weapon (skill) you've decided to go with.

That's exactly what I did (Dodge with light armor or Block with heavier armor and shield), but no combination of skills and weapons seemed to make the least bit difference. For some absurd reason, my very first, badly distributed character which divided his points between Block and Dodge (before I figured out how they worked) actually did better than the Block/Dodge-specific builds.

Anyway, I will return to the demo at some point and make another attempt, but let's just say my first impression wasn't very positive...

EDIT: As I wrote this I suddenly realized that my problem might be that I simply wasn't investing enough points in PER (I tended to focus heavily on STR, CON and DEX). I thought the hit rate was pretty decent for a low-level character and didn't think much of it the first time I played the demo, but missing just a little less could very well be the key to survival.
Demiath
Marilith (CR 17)
Master of the Magic Lens
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands

Postby DonaldDuck » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:21 am

That does sound weird, and no low PER shouldn't be the problem at all.
Take a look at my stats after I beat the arena, I just maxed out the dex. & cons. with strength at 8.
Attachments
123.jpg
AOD stats.
123.jpg (244.69 KiB) Viewed 16146 times
DonaldDuck
Chimera (CR 7)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Return to About cRPGs, RPGs and fantasy books and films