Just one Dungeon...

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Just one Dungeon...

Postby The Limper » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:50 am

Seeing as the main focus of KotC was violence, which was often located underground, I think it would be a great idea to set the whole of the sequel in one gigantic dungeon, Ultima Underworld style. Just imagine it, delving deeper and deeper searching for whatever the plot requires (Hunt the Traitor?). Solving the problems of the local inhabitants as you go (Generally by killing some other inhabitants), no need for generic villages leaves more room for fun stuff like fungus people and dread cults of mad gods. In fact a Myconiod player race would be the just about the best thing ever. You'd also have more emphasis put on looting and crafting as opposed to shopping, so less tedium all round. Plus you can justify gratuitous overuse of shreikers, which would be hilarious.
The Limper
Goblin (CR 1/3)

Just one Dungeon...

Advert

Re: Just one Dungeon...

Postby screeg » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:56 pm

The Limper wrote:...no need for generic villages

You could still have un-generic, underground villages.

The Limper wrote:...leaves more room for fun stuff like fungus people and dread cults of mad gods.

YES!
The Limper wrote:In fact a Myconiod player race would be the just about the best thing ever.

!!!
And the Myconid race would be immune to mind spells. Good ideas all round. People would probably compare it to Avernum, unfortunately. You could have a HUGE underground area beneath a mountain range connecting a smaller aboveground starting area with a mountain fortress type endgame.

BS, do you have any ideas for the plot's sequel yet?
-----
screeg
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:45 pm

I was more thinking along the lines of a sky-high tower created by an arch-wizard. But I'll work on the classes and races first and everything can change.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:00 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:I was more thinking along the lines of a sky-high tower created by an arch-wizard. But I'll work on the classes and races first and everything can change.

I like this idea. Could have many levels and imprisoned monsters of all kind a bit like Undermountain. There also could be pockets of the elemental realms in there like it was in the ToEE. Or portals to abyssal layers etc. Sounds cool.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Archangel » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:22 pm

To me one dungeon games are the most boring. I hated that 50% of ToEE was in one dungeon (after a while I got really fed up and just wanted to finish the game already; didn't care one bit about the internal struggles of their residents and just went and killed all of them no matter what alignment I played :D).
Also BG1 and BG2 huge dungeons were more boring to me then exploring areas and finding cool little quests there. The biggest dungeon I could stand would be Nashkel mines or the last before the battle with Sarevok.

IWD1 and 2 had some cool dungeons that I could stomach and finish before they would become too cumbersome.

NWN1: Hordes of the Underdark, the Undermountain was only fun because it ended up relatively early and then you could explore Underdark and the planes.

The dungeon in BG2 after the Cowled Wizard stronghold was already a bit too big for my liking.

If you want to give us one big dungeon I would suggest to do it like NWN:HotU and make it a starting one and then lets us explore and more quests afterwards.
Or make is take up less then 50% of the game time.
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:53 am

Archangel wrote:To me one dungeon games are the most boring. I hated that 50% of ToEE was in one dungeon (after a while I got really fed up and just wanted to finish the game already; didn't care one bit about the internal struggles of their residents and just went and killed all of them no matter what alignment I played :D).
Also BG1 and BG2 huge dungeons were more boring to me then exploring areas and finding cool little quests there. The biggest dungeon I could stand would be Nashkel mines or the last before the battle with Sarevok.

IWD1 and 2 had some cool dungeons that I could stomach and finish before they would become too cumbersome.

NWN1: Hordes of the Underdark, the Undermountain was only fun because it ended up relatively early and then you could explore Underdark and the planes.

The dungeon in BG2 after the Cowled Wizard stronghold was already a bit too big for my liking.

If you want to give us one big dungeon I would suggest to do it like NWN:HotU and make it a starting one and then lets us explore and more quests afterwards.
Or make is take up less then 50% of the game time.

I get it, a proper dungeon quickly becomes cumbersome, boring etc.
I can wholeheartedly recommend NWN2 SoZ to you then, it has 2/3 room "dungeons" en masse.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Archangel » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:18 am

I finished SoZ multiple times. It is a step in the right direction, but that one was too low on dungeon levels :D
I like something in between :)
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:35 am

You probably guessed already that I don't think that's the right direction.
The temple was the best part of ToEE. And the big dungeons like Watchers Keep/Ulcaster tower were the best parts of BG/BG2.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Archangel » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:47 am

VentilatorOfDoom wrote:You probably guessed already that I don't think that's the right direction.
The temple was the best part of ToEE. And the big dungeons like Watchers Keep/Ulcaster tower were the best parts of BG/BG2.

I guess then we agree to disagree :)
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby SkeleTony » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:17 pm

I play a lot of 'roguelike' CRPGs so I have no real aversion to big, single dungeon games but I still prefer the variety of having above ground locations, different dungeons, lots of villages/cities etc.
SkeleTony
Vrock (CR 9)

Next

Return to Ideas for KotC 2