KotC 2 Update

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Re: KotC 2 Update

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Functionally it's the same as a cleric or psychic warrior with Freedom of Movement and using the spell Poison on his enemies, or a fighter with Freedom of Movement and Elemental Weapon (acid), or a fighter wearing a Spider Cloak and wielding a sword that deals poison or acid damage. With the added bonus that the character can still wear armour and use his equipment, and the game doesn't need to deal with changes in the space occupied by the character.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Advert

Postby screeg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:21 pm

Also, it may not be easy to obtain that kind of armour, since there won't be crafting...

*cough* what?! What did I miss? There's no crafting in KotC2?

I never ever use it myself, but I agree that polymorphing is a fun thing to have your enemies do.
-----
screeg
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:33 pm

Most games do well without crafting, so why should it be a problem?
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Tiavals » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:23 am

BlueSalamander wrote:Most games do well without crafting, so why should it be a problem?

The only real problem with it is with the Fighter. Suppose you choose the weapon focus and specialization feats for a weapon group that doesn't really have any good weapons in it, that can be found or bought. You'll have to rely on spells to make your weapons usable. Of course, because the weapons are grouped, it's unlikely to happen, since there's more than one weapon to choose from. You'll probably find at least one weapon for each group that is good, I should hope.

There were a nice amount of unique weapons for KOTC1, but I only recall one magical scythe, and not a single magical halberd(might have missed some of course). You might want to use a specific weapon in a group for whatever reason(say, a Scythe in the Pick-group because it's 2-handed), but the best you can find is a measly +2 version at level 20. It'll feel like a waste.
Tiavals
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby getter77 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:28 am

Something I'd think could be a solution to a lack of player crafting would be NPC's that could copy one item's enchantments to another for some manner of compensations. That way, should you find something with mods you like on a weapon you lack skill with you could add them to your own, or on the other hand----you'd then have a bit of choice and consequence action in the from of "Do I sell this magical thing for gold/inventory space, or do I try to keep it around to perhaps make use of later?"
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Tim James » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:06 am

Please explain the naming convention. Is Fantasy World Engine equivalent to Knights of the Chalice 2? Or will KotC 2 be the first released game using FWE, perhaps? I'm trying to figure out how everything's related.
Tim James
Kobold (CR 1/4)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:03 am

Tiavals wrote:Suppose you choose the weapon focus and specialization feats for a weapon group that doesn't really have any good weapons in it, that can be found or bought.
As long as one of your specializations is One-Handed Swords or Two-Handed Swords, you should be fine. Clearly there will always be good weapons of these types.

Tim James wrote:Please explain the naming convention. Is Fantasy World Engine equivalent to Knights of the Chalice 2?
Hello Tim. Fantasy World Engine is the programme I'm developing. It will allow users to play a module and create new ones. This is the official name. Since it comes after KotC, it's also called KotC 2 informally. Modules that play on FWE will have their own names.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Tiavals » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:10 am

BlueSalamander wrote:As long as one of your specializations is One-Handed Swords or Two-Handed Swords, you should be fine. Clearly there will always be good weapons of these types.

The problem is, I probably wouldn't take either group for a Fighter, since there are more interesting weapons to choose from. Swords just do damage, while many other weapons(apparently) have other bonuses, which are usually better for the Fighter with his feats.
Tiavals
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

OOOh

Postby shaogul » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:38 pm

oh yes as somone might have mentioned before, some kind of particle splatter ala hellheron would be very cool if you could fit it in withought to much touble.
shaogul
Kuo-toa (CR 2)

Postby screeg » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:41 pm

I was just surprised you dropped crafting and I missed it.

BlueSalamander wrote:
Tiavals wrote:Suppose you choose the weapon focus and specialization feats for a weapon group that doesn't really have any good weapons in it, that can be found or bought.
As long as one of your specializations is One-Handed Swords or Two-Handed Swords, you should be fine. Clearly there will always be good weapons of these types.

I wish you were joking here. Personally I hate how swords dominate almost every fantasy game since the dawn of time. I'd like for each weapon group to be equally represented. Not to say there have to be every variety of enchantment for every weapon type, just that there are 3 fantastic axes in the game, 3 swords, 3 spears, etc. instead of 20 fabulous swords. Having NPC crafters might be a good option to break things up a bit, so if I specialize in two-hand axes I can go to a crafter to get an enchanted one. It would also work as an economic balance, ie. a place to spend your 100,000 extra gp that you always seem to end up with.
-----
screeg
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas for KotC 2