Page 9 of 24

Re: KotC 2 Update

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:54 pm
by BlueSalamander
Functionally it's the same as a cleric or psychic warrior with Freedom of Movement and using the spell Poison on his enemies, or a fighter with Freedom of Movement and Elemental Weapon (acid), or a fighter wearing a Spider Cloak and wielding a sword that deals poison or acid damage. With the added bonus that the character can still wear armour and use his equipment, and the game doesn't need to deal with changes in the space occupied by the character.

Re: KotC 2 Update

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:21 pm
by screeg
Also, it may not be easy to obtain that kind of armour, since there won't be crafting...

*cough* what?! What did I miss? There's no crafting in KotC2?

I never ever use it myself, but I agree that polymorphing is a fun thing to have your enemies do.

Re: KotC 2 Update

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:33 pm
by BlueSalamander
Most games do well without crafting, so why should it be a problem?

Re: KotC 2 Update

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:23 am
by Tiavals
BlueSalamander wrote:Most games do well without crafting, so why should it be a problem?


The only real problem with it is with the Fighter. Suppose you choose the weapon focus and specialization feats for a weapon group that doesn't really have any good weapons in it, that can be found or bought. You'll have to rely on spells to make your weapons usable. Of course, because the weapons are grouped, it's unlikely to happen, since there's more than one weapon to choose from. You'll probably find at least one weapon for each group that is good, I should hope.

There were a nice amount of unique weapons for KOTC1, but I only recall one magical scythe, and not a single magical halberd(might have missed some of course). You might want to use a specific weapon in a group for whatever reason(say, a Scythe in the Pick-group because it's 2-handed), but the best you can find is a measly +2 version at level 20. It'll feel like a waste.

Re: KotC 2 Update

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:28 am
by getter77
Something I'd think could be a solution to a lack of player crafting would be NPC's that could copy one item's enchantments to another for some manner of compensations. That way, should you find something with mods you like on a weapon you lack skill with you could add them to your own, or on the other hand----you'd then have a bit of choice and consequence action in the from of "Do I sell this magical thing for gold/inventory space, or do I try to keep it around to perhaps make use of later?"

Re: KotC 2 Update

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:06 am
by Tim James
Please explain the naming convention. Is Fantasy World Engine equivalent to Knights of the Chalice 2? Or will KotC 2 be the first released game using FWE, perhaps? I'm trying to figure out how everything's related.

Re: KotC 2 Update

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:03 am
by BlueSalamander
Tiavals wrote:Suppose you choose the weapon focus and specialization feats for a weapon group that doesn't really have any good weapons in it, that can be found or bought.
As long as one of your specializations is One-Handed Swords or Two-Handed Swords, you should be fine. Clearly there will always be good weapons of these types.

Tim James wrote:Please explain the naming convention. Is Fantasy World Engine equivalent to Knights of the Chalice 2?
Hello Tim. Fantasy World Engine is the programme I'm developing. It will allow users to play a module and create new ones. This is the official name. Since it comes after KotC, it's also called KotC 2 informally. Modules that play on FWE will have their own names.

Re: KotC 2 Update

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:10 am
by Tiavals
BlueSalamander wrote:As long as one of your specializations is One-Handed Swords or Two-Handed Swords, you should be fine. Clearly there will always be good weapons of these types.


The problem is, I probably wouldn't take either group for a Fighter, since there are more interesting weapons to choose from. Swords just do damage, while many other weapons(apparently) have other bonuses, which are usually better for the Fighter with his feats.

OOOh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:38 pm
by shaogul
oh yes as somone might have mentioned before, some kind of particle splatter ala hellheron would be very cool if you could fit it in withought to much touble.

Re: KotC 2 Update

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:41 pm
by screeg
I was just surprised you dropped crafting and I missed it.

BlueSalamander wrote:
Tiavals wrote:Suppose you choose the weapon focus and specialization feats for a weapon group that doesn't really have any good weapons in it, that can be found or bought.
As long as one of your specializations is One-Handed Swords or Two-Handed Swords, you should be fine. Clearly there will always be good weapons of these types.


I wish you were joking here. Personally I hate how swords dominate almost every fantasy game since the dawn of time. I'd like for each weapon group to be equally represented. Not to say there have to be every variety of enchantment for every weapon type, just that there are 3 fantastic axes in the game, 3 swords, 3 spears, etc. instead of 20 fabulous swords. Having NPC crafters might be a good option to break things up a bit, so if I specialize in two-hand axes I can go to a crafter to get an enchanted one. It would also work as an economic balance, ie. a place to spend your 100,000 extra gp that you always seem to end up with.