Fantasy World Engine initial design feedback

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Re: Fantasy World Engine initial design feedback

Postby getter77 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:40 am

Psychic Warrior:

-Good chart progression, needs more nifty/specific class-Feats as the initial 2 are good ones, yet only a pair.... Variety of good powers sets the class up nicely.

-Claws of the Beast: Unclear how PP expenditure affects the nature of the claws?

-Presuming both degrees of Expansion work on Half-Giants and above?

-Grip of Iron, Form of Doom, Strength of my Enemy will be interesting

-Lesser Swap: Missing limitations/specifics? "You switch position with an ally in close range." as the entire description.

-Graft Weapon: Still able to change weaponry or are you locked in with the one at the time of casting?

-Limp Hands: Effect on Unarmed Combat and Grappling?

-Noted that Psionics generally seem to not level scale, reckoning it to be a differentiating balance versus Spellcasters given how extra PP can be used to boost many Psionics a bit.

-Greater Psionic Eye and Greater Ubiquitous Vision seem to be rather horrible investments given how little extra they do versus their earlier versions to say nothing of being on the tail end of the Highest 6th level Psionic manifestations. I'm not even sure what to do with the former given True Seeing is already on level 5---no great ideas on the latter either save maybe some sort of counter-attack for damage/knockback/knockdown? Those just stuck out pretty boldly.

Psionicist:

-Likewise decent character progression chart, needs less Feat work than the Psychic Warrior given that Specialization and Conversion bring the nifty count up to 4---no huge problem in my mind with the 2 classes sharing those other class-feats so long as a bit more flavourful delineation is reckoned into the mix between them. Crystal spell boosting perhaps?

-Kind of odd to see Grease in the Psionics list, given that being an Arcane spell. Heat and Freeze Armor seems to fit more thematically (Pyrokinesis, Cryokinesis) at least, but still.

-Fractional DC increases in the likes of Mind Thrust, Energy Missile, etc? Thought DC was firmly whole numbers, given the dice and all....

-Lesser Concealment: Should be bolded on the description page.

-Greater Swap: Again more clarity/specifics needed, though it does explain a bit more than the Lesser

-Energy Push, Share Pain, Swarm of Crystals, Power Drain, Baleful Teleport, Hail of Crystals, Energy Current, Energy Chain, Disintegrate, Assimilate, Energy Wave, Concussive Detonation, Suppress Sword and Armor, Inflict Pain, Tornado Blast looks to be interesting

Sideline: Exp gains for combat diminished if foes are level drained or...?

-Death Urge: Nifty, but I presume situations where the creature can't really harm itself directly in combat, like a Fire Elemental or some such would render only the Chasm behavior useful. Especially if that would have them healing at a Critical rate!

-Like that Limp Hands is more potent potentially to Psionicists than Psychic Warriors----shades of the Druid/Cleric split on Magic Stones Spell

-Telekinetic Maneuver seems a bit out of place as currently implemented here as it uses Int as the guiding stat versus Wis like all other Psycic manifestations.

Finally, it only took me several days. Onward towards yet more lively discussions and Misc general things to come.
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Postby Tiavals » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:27 am

getter77 wrote:
-Noted that Psionics generally seem to not level scale, reckoning it to be a differentiating balance versus Spellcasters given how extra PP can be used to boost many Psionics a bit.

Psionic-users can spend a number of PP equal to their level per power, so they can boost most of their abilities to the same power as wizards. You can apply most "use +x PP to do y" multiple times for the same ability. Suppose you cast Energy Ray, normally it's 1d6+1, but by spending 5 extra PP, you do 6d6+6 damage with it. You'll have to be at level 6 to do this, since the 1st level power takes 1 point, and 5 extra for the boost.

-Greater Psionic Eye and Greater Ubiquitous Vision seem to be rather horrible investments given how little extra they do versus their earlier versions to say nothing of being on the tail end of the Highest 6th level Psionic manifestations. I'm not even sure what to do with the former given True Seeing is already on level 5---no great ideas on the latter either save maybe some sort of counter-attack for damage/knockback/knockdown? Those just stuck out pretty boldly.

I think Greater Ubiquitous Vision is very powerful. Since it lasts until you rest, you won't have to manifest it in battle, and that is an immense boon for Greater Ubiquitous Vision, since flanking and sneak attacks from flanking are probably fairly common. No need to waste a turn in combat for it, if you can have it always on.
As for Greater Psionic Eye, I don't think it's too good. I guess if you have limited means to remove blindness, it could be useful in some cases, but most of the time I imagine it'll be fairly pointless.

There's another thing I must say. I think the Wizard spell Dominate Monster(9th) is far, far too powerful. Not only is it longer range than Control monster(8th), it also allows the creature to attack and use it's powers without penalty. Those are okay changes, but what makes it far too powerful is that it affects up to 3 creatures. This is totally unbalanced, as it was in KOTC1. I hope that a change will be made to this, limiting it to just 1 creature.
Compare it to Mass Hold Monster of the same level. The differences: Mass Hold Monster can theoretically affect more creatures, but in most cases won't. But they get a new saving throw each round to escape it, effectively. The only advantage in Mass Hold Monster is, that you can Coup De Grace the enemy immediately if you're fast enough, preventing it from being dispelled. Dominated beings can be dispelled, I believe(but if they resist it with their own saving throw, it's too hard to dispel really, making it far superior yet again).

I understand it's more or less the same as Mass Dominate in the Dark Sun, but it was too good even there. And this isn't AD&D anymore. ;)

Also, 4th level wizard spell, Crushing Despair seem kinda weak. It only gives -2 to attack and Willpower saves, and Will negates it. It has only a few advantages compared to Slow, a 3rd level spell, but is mostly inferior. The fact that it's a cone and is 30feet in length makes it useful in some situations where Slow can't be used. The -2 to will saves isn't too useful overall, since you might as well have casted a spell like confusion or slow that would've had better results had they failed the save in the first place. I suggest the spell is either boosted up a lot(perhaps -4 to attack and Will saves, maybe even damage), or the save be eliminated, so it always works, like the negative status change from Prayer.
Tiavals
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby screeg » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:54 pm

Looking over the two Psionic classes again, I really like most of the powers, but the names of the powers are rather feeble. Would you be interested in changing some of them up? My raft of suggestions to follow:
Psychic Warrior
Ubiquitous Vision ==> (inaccurate use of 'ubiquitous') Omniscient Vision, Prescience, Psychic Mirror, Omnidirectional Eye, All Seeing Eye
Cell Adjustment ==> Cell Alignment
Body Purification ==> Purification
Specified Energy Adaptation ==> Energy Adaptation, Energy Absorption
Dimension Slide ==> Fade, Jump
Hostile Empathic Transfer ==> name doesn't make sense, you "transfer" damage to a target? From where, your bag of damage? ==> Life Drain, Empathic Drain
==> other idea for life draining abilities: some kind of negative consequence for stealing more life than the caster can personally use, like stunning, CON damage, PP loss?
Exhalation of the Black Dragon ==> Spit Acid
Limp Hands ==> Palsy
Oak Body ==> Oaken Form

Psionicist
Destiny Dissonance ==> worst name of the lot, how about Sickening Waves, Plague Energy, Horrific Visions, Sickening Gesture, Sickening Sign, anything else
Grease ==> don't like its inclusion for this class
Enhance Weapon ==> Awaken Weapon
Hungry Touch ==> Steal Essence
Brain Lock ==> Mind Lock
Enhance Ability ==> Gather Will
ID Insinuation ==> second worst, "I.D." is an anachronism, is it supposed to read "Id"? How about Id Hammer?
Share Pain ==> Psychic Chain(s)
Dispel Magic ==> Undo
Psychic Containment ==> Psychic Field, Net
Telekinetic Maneuver ==> also inelegant, no suggestion
Control Body ==> Puppeteer
Psionic Revivify ==> Revivify
Tower of Iron Will ==> Tower of Iron
Microcosm ==> name doesn't make sense in relation to power
-----
screeg
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby SilentLion » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:24 pm

getter77 wrote:Sorcerer:

-Rather very cut and dry it seems. The feats that are there are solid, but predictable---would have expected a "bonus to spell slots" in there with them----as the class DEFINITELY needs some unique Class-feats. Maybe something to do with no Spell Failure chance when using Armor? Inherent Improved Counterspell at high-level? Tough to reckon. The class biography doesn't quite have anything jump out at me, though there surely must be some good ideas out there---perhaps/hopefully things will come to mind once more of the setting/mechanics and such is revealed outside of somebody else coming up with some nice things.

The class description says "They then developed a fascination for all forms of magic. As a result, they are always hunting for new magic scrolls and powerful magic items.". So how about something like "Enhance Magical Items" (the native speakers can give it a cooler name :) ), which would give the Sorcerer a bonus when using magical items. I'm talking about +1 DC or Effective Level for scrolls, wands and other items with spell effects. There could be a "Greater" version of the ability (feat?) at a higher level for +2.

Could maybe even include AC bonus for magical armor/bracers/rings/etc - but this may be too powerful if multiple such items are worn (maybe cap it at +1/+2 AC total?). Same for weapon attack bonus and damage (the Sorcerer would not be meleeing that much though). Maybe enhancing damage reduction, spell resistance, saving throw bonuses of the items is over the top. Ability score enhancing items probably should not be further improved.
SilentLion
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:45 pm

A lot of things to reply to...

getter77 wrote:For random examples for feats that could be worked into items/quests without perhaps exotic doings: You've got the 6 racial attributes prime for modifying one way or another conditional and otherwise.
Yes, definitely, that kind of modification will be possible through items (bonuses and penalties on strength, dexterity, constitution, intelligence, wisdom, charisma, Hit Points, speed, Armor Class, saving throws). Perhaps through exceptional feats too.

Tiavals wrote:The powers aren't much different even on that list, which is somewhat strange.
Agreed that Dissolving Touch isn't exactly the most exciting power available. Really the idea is that if you only have 6 PP left, you could use Dissolving two times (dealing 4d6+4d6) instead of using Dissipating and dealing 6d6 at the cost of 6 PP.

Tiavals wrote:Do spells(or abilities like the druid) and powers(like thicken skin) that give natural armor stack with the natural armor of the mantis and the kobold? For example, the Oak Body spell says it gives a +4 natural armor bonus. Does this mean your natural armor is put to 4, or increases by 4? (for a mantis, would it mean your natural armor would be 14 or 17?) The spell Barkskin says: "Stacks with the natural armor bonus, but not with other natural armor enhancement bonuses." This refers to the Druid's ability, I believe. Would this mean that the natural armor of a mantis, druid or kobold is without a keyword(and thus stacks with other things), while spells and powers don't stack with each other, as they are an "enhancement" bonus?
This question hurts my head... What a can of worms. :lol: Thanks for asking. Definitely needs clarification. So let's try to clarify:

Bonus Source: Bonus Type
==========================================
Mantis/Kobold: Natural Armor Base Bonus (it's what you have, not an enhancement)
Oak Body: Natural Armor Base Bonus (it's a complete transformation of your skin, not an improvement of what you have)
Druid: Natural Armor Enhancement Bonus (has to be an enhancement, otherwise the Mantis & Kobold wouldn't get all the Druid benefits)
Barkskin: Natural Armor Enhancement Bonus (is an improvement, not a complete transformation)
Thicken Skin: Natural Armor Enhancement Bonus (is an improvement, not a complete transformation)
Improved NA Feats: Depends if the feat applies to racial NA or to Druid NA

When you have a natural armor base bonus from several sources (racial and oak body), only the highest one applies.
When you have enhancements to natural armor from several sources, only the highest enhancement value applies.

Tiavals wrote:are the Form of Doom tentacle attacks in addition to everything, even the multiple limbs of a Mantis or two-weapon fighting? Do they do regular damage, where your strength bonus applies, or some sort of non-descript damage that works through DR?
The attacks are in addition to everything. The strength bonus is applied in accordance with the rules for secondary natural weapons since the tentacles are secondary natural weapons. <<Creatures with more than one type of natural weapons have one type that is primary while all the other weapons are considered secondary. The creature is allowed to add 1 time its strength bonus to damage rolls when attacking with the primary weapon and 0.5 times the strength bonus when attacking with a secondary weapon.>> The tentacles do bludgeoning damage and do not bypass DR.

getter77 wrote:-Conflict with "Ranger automatically has the feat Improved Precise Shot" and the character table showing it does not have access to it until level 9---should probably mention the class level requirement in the description.
I guess that was a poor description. I will change it to 'The ranger gains the feat....'

getter77 wrote:Evasion is kind of an anti-climatic final class feat to get, especially at level 18
I don't agree on this, evasion is quite powerful. The reason why there are no other extra abilities is that the ranger gains spell slots at every level at this point (on top of BAB increases).

I was suspecting a classical Poisonous Arrow in there somewhere.
Isn't that the same as a Barbed Arrow or Wound Arrow essentially?

what kind of CR range is the game intended to have?
0.10 (toad) to 26 (elder red dragon), could go higher in rare cases.

Strongly recommend some Environmental feats, maybe ones that add Circumstance bonuses on the given terrain type, better attunement to any weather effects perhaps, as well as other such thematically sound passives as Activation Abilities/Feats would seem a bit much given all the Spells.
I guess you mean something like extra damage from lightning whenever the druid is roaming the wilderness as opposed to being underground or inside a building. Not sure that it would be a feat worth taking. Otherwise, I could grant an automatic Freedom of Movement, but I think that's too much.

-Shillelagh: With respect to the increase in weapon size category, I trust this somehow still holds true when used by a Half-Giant and larger?
Yes, of course. The choice of race should not impair the class powers and spells.

-Heat and Freeze armour is certainly nifty, rather powerful perhaps
I will decrease that to d4s.

-Flame Strike: Typo for only 1d6 points of damage and/or no scaling? 1d6 would be incredibly weak for that level and would make the fire/divine split damage odd indeed. 1d6 per caster level might be what was moreso intended...
:o You're right, it's meant to be 1d6 per level. :lol:

While Water Breathing is interesting that that it forecasts a new element of explorations and whatnot, I can't help but be concerned on the implications of having a party that does not have access to the spell----even with not knowing the max party size one would hope not to force the classic railroading of "You can have any party you want, so long as you give a slot for somebody to cast X" If an NPC can cast it on a party for a fee/as a quest reward, that'd handle it.
That would depend on the module designer, but in my opinion it's fine for a module to have a requirement of at least one spellcaster per party.

-Divine Grace and Aura of Courage could stand to have exactly/roughly the same kind of buffing recently given to the Death Knight---as it just makes sense.
I can't do that... A Paladin's main abilities are spells and smite, while a Death Knight's main abilities are the smite, aura and sneak. Sneak alone is not equal to having tonnes of spells.

Shield Other Spell would be something I would moreso expect to at least eventually do better than half damage covering with higher character level. Description makes me think moreso of some sort of friendly Symbiotic Link versus a brave Paladin blocking an onslaught bodily for an ally. Seems like there could be some exploits as well unless it is beaten by beaming/crowd attacks and the like. Though on the other hand, it could be a suicidal spell to use in some circumstances at even just 50/50. Hmm..
What exploits could there be? It cannot be suicidal because if the damage received would be enough to kill or render someone unconscious, the spell automatically ends.

Cleric - Though, it would be good to have some sort of interesting choice at 20
Hmm, to me, level 20 doesn't mean that a character has reached Demi-Godhood with access to new powers, just that he has become super strong, and is really good at what he does.

-Summon Elemental: Was somehow hoping for an Acid Elemental (Blob/Cube?)
An interesting idea. I suppose it doesn't exist in the Monster Manual because Acid is not considered to be one of the fundamental elements.

-I like that Magic Stone progresses with the Cleric, but not for the Druid---good flavour.
Oh, that's an oversight. You think it should not progress for the Druid?

-Greater Command spell: Does "all creatures" denote the possibility for friendly fire or...?
I will change it so that only enemies are affected. I don't think there should be friendly fire with that spell.

-Righteous Might: Yet again presuming it works on Half-Giants and such that are already Large and greater?
Sure.

Tiavals wrote:I would suggest that the Druid get Natural Water Breathing as an ability at around level 5-9. It's always on, and acts as the spell. Heck, you could even throw in Fish-Attunement as an ability at some level, which actually gives bonuses to the druid while underwater(like +2 to attack/AC when underwater).
Might work as a druid spell too, perhaps for even the wizard or psionicist.
I also suggest that a druid spell called Water Wall or perhaps Water Bubble be made, which creates a limited underwater zone, hindering and damaging opponents. You could also go so far as to give the druid summoning spells that can summon fish and octopus, which can only move/exist in underwater squares, and be instantly killed if they somehow get out of them.
The druid should be unhindered by natural enviroments, like slime, and roots, perhaps even lava if it exists.
It's all good stuff but I'm not sure. The automatic freedom of movement sounds too powerful, and it takes something away from having the spell. A Druid is never going to be immune to lava. The automatic water breathing, well, part of the fun of fighting underwater would be the risk of losing the water breathing spell effect. The breathing ability would also make the druid immune to a 'drown' grapple action, but overall it wouldn't be very significant as a class benefit. Fish summons... I'd rather not create spells that are useful only in infrequent circumstances.

As I understood it, some battle-grounds will be underwater, or parts of them. For example, there's a pool of water in a room. In the pool, there lives some sort of monster that tries to pull people underwater and grapples them there, to keep them from leaving. Water Breathing would be useful, but not mandatory. Or perhaps a room that fills with water as the battle begins, and the water disappears after 5 rounds. Surely annoying, if it does damage and hinders movement and attacks, but nothing you truly are helpless against.
Yes of course, the party will be assumed to know how to swim, and will not be helpless even without the spell. Further, some battles could take place underwater before spellcasters have the sufficient level for learning the spell. Sometimes it will be a matter of finishing a fight quickly enough that the characters do not drown.

Perhaps you could choose a Greater Domain at, say, level 13 and another at level 16? Would make thematic sense, and shouldn't be too hard to come up with, or implement. They would certainly spice up the Cleric class, which would be nice, since at the moment it really doesn't have anything "cool" to be gained as the levels go up, merely spells
I can't agree with that. All the powers already scale and it's clear that the main reward when spellcaster classes go up in levels, is the acquisition of new spells rather than the acquisition of new extraordinary abilities.

Another idea for the cleric could be an "Aspect of Deity", for example, that you could choose a special ability/resistance/attack/power every 5 levels from a large list, or possible you could purchase them as cleric only feats.
Do you think the Cleric is not powerful enough in the current design?

Slimes and oozes need to be in the game.
They will be there as enemies.

getter77 wrote:-No resistance or recourse to Sleep/Deep Slumber spell?
Why should he have one?

getter77 wrote:-Enlarge spell works on those Large size and greater?
Yes.

-Still can't use the Reduce spell on party members eh?
I have no problem with allowing it on allies.

"Chromatic Mastery", letting you pick which effect you go for with a given Orb.
Why would you want to produce the earlier, weaker, effects?

Spider would seem to be a weak Familiar choice with only a + 1 bonus as would the Improved Spell Resistance feat for only +2. Or is it the case that they boost the inherent Spell Resistance base growth modifier to 6 or 7 + level?
Yes, it would mean that the wizard gets 6+level (with Spider), 7+level (with feat), or 8+level (with both spider and feat).

-I see my days of naked Knights getting a Wizard to cast Mage Armor on them are done.
Haha, it's called Mage Armor after all.

-Gust of Wind able to dissipate Fog Cloud or are those interactions not so much happening instead of Dispel Magic?
I view Gust of Wind as more of a concentrated line blast so it wouldn't dissipate a big fog cloud. But Dispel Magic would work.

-Guessing Glitterdust doesn't stack with Faerie Fire?
In what way could they stack?

-Guessing Dominate Person ends the battle if the only one left is the foe that was Dominated? Likewise, guessing you don't get them as a party member should the Caster die that did the Dominating, although that could be rather cool at times I imagine.
It will work just like KotC. Dominating the last enemy ends the battle. Dominated enemies don't really join the party, they only fight as an ally.

-Interposing Hand looks to be rather very powerful, can't decide if it is too crazy or just crazy enough.
That's how Neverwinter Nights 2 implemented it.

Sorcerer - would have expected a "bonus to spell slots" in there with them
Do you think the Sorcerer is not powerful enough in the current design?

screeg wrote:I second this. The Bard is one class that I typically cannot stand, first because I find the whole concept of magical music fruity, but second because he seems to do a little bit of everything.
The core concept for my Bard, is a veteran warrior, who can also give a bonus (of his choice) to everyone in the party simply by singing or playing some music. He gets that in exchange for losing many of the feats of a fighter. It worked in Bard's Tale. If I just fill him up with magical powers, then he becomes another kind of druid or ranger.

Regarding Clerics and healing, do you think it will be viable to create a party without a Cleric?
Yes. The Druid, Paladin and Ranger can heal too. As in KotC, the NPC clerics will be able to heal the party, that is, if there are any in the module you're playing.

If I play without a Cleric does that mean I would have to have both a Druid and Paladin to make up for it?
I don't know. Clearly if you have the two together it will be equivalent to having a Cleric.

What about a Cheat Death feat for the Death Knight: convert a killing blow to reduced to 1HP, all negative modifiers canceled, once per day?
Sounds very, very powerful to me.

it would be a big improvement if your game had Thieves in it instead of Rogues.
Hmm, basically the same thing. Thief seems to highlight the stealing nature, but my character class does not actually steal from NPCs, or even disarm treasure chests and traps (as in Bard's Tale).

there are two bonus feats under Psychic Warrior-only Feats, but each of them is described as being available to either the Psionicist or Psychic Warrior.
You're right. I should remove the word 'only'.

-Claws of the Beast: Unclear how PP expenditure affects the nature of the claws?
Here is the chart:
PP Small Medium Large
1 1d3 1d4 1d6
3 1d4 1d6 1d8
5 1d6 1d8 2d6
7 1d8 2d6 3d6
11 2d6 3d6 4d6
15 3d6 4d6 5d6
19 4d6 5d6 6d6

-Presuming both degrees of Expansion work on Half-Giants and above?
Sure.

-Lesser Swap: Missing limitations/specifics? "You switch position with an ally in close range." as the entire description.
Can't think of any limitations apart that the ally mustn't be mazed.

-Graft Weapon: Still able to change weaponry or are you locked in with the one at the time of casting?
You can change weaponry.

-Limp Hands: Effect on Unarmed Combat and Grappling?
No effect beyond the one described. You can still slam the enemy with your hands.

True Seeing lets you see invisible and bypass concealment. The greater spells don't need to be cast in combat. Greater Psionic Eye is useful against Glitterdust and the many other spells that blind.

Crystal spell boosting perhaps?
Problem is there are only three crystal spells.

-Fractional DC increases in the likes of Mind Thrust, Energy Missile, etc? Thought DC was firmly whole numbers, given the dice and all....
You're right, just a shorthand for '+2 PP brings +1 DC'.

-Lesser Concealment: Should be bolded on the description page.
Yes.

Sideline: Exp gains for combat diminished if foes are level drained or...?
I don't see any reason for lowering the XP award.

-Death Urge: Nifty, but I presume situations where the creature can't really harm itself directly in combat, like a Fire Elemental or some such would render only the Chasm behavior useful. Especially if that would have them healing at a Critical rate!
Interesting. But a fire elemental also deals bludgeoning damage, and is not healed by fire damage, so it still works.

-Like that Limp Hands is more potent potentially to Psionicists than Psychic Warriors----shades of the Druid/Cleric split on Magic Stones Spell
Again, it's really not by design. Just forgot to harmonise the spells.

-Telekinetic Maneuver seems a bit out of place as currently implemented here as it uses Int as the guiding stat versus Wis like all other Psycic manifestations.
Another mistake on my part, the Psionicist does not use Wisdom (unlike the Psychic Warrior). The main ability is Intelligence. I will correct that...

Finally, it only took me several days.
Thanks for reviewing all the classes and stuff!

Tiavals wrote:I think the Wizard spell Dominate Monster(9th) is far, far too powerful.
Point taken but would the spell be as enjoyable and useful, as a level-9 spell, if it was single target?

if they resist it with their own saving throw, it's too hard to dispel really, making it far superior yet again.
Dispelling will use the new system, which depends on the level of the wizard responsible for the effect, not on the target's saving throw.

Crushing Despair - The -2 to will saves isn't too useful overall, since you might as well have casted a spell like confusion or slow that would've had better results had they failed the save in the first place. I suggest the spell is either boosted up a lot(perhaps -4 to attack and Will saves, maybe even damage), or the save be eliminated
Okay. It will be -4 to attacks and willpower. You're right that it's weak.

Ubiquitous Vision ==> (inaccurate use of 'ubiquitous') Omniscient Vision, Prescience, Psychic Mirror, Omnidirectional Eye, All Seeing Eye
I like Psychic Mirror and Omnidirectional Eye, and you're right that ubiquitous is inaccurate.

Cell Adjustment ==> Cell Alignment
Why? How about 'Cell Division'?

Body Purification ==> Purification
Yes.

Specified Energy Adaptation ==> Energy Adaptation, Energy Absorption
Energy Absorption sounds good to me, since there is another Energy Adaptation spell.

Dimension Slide ==> Fade, Jump
Disagree on this.

Hostile Empathic Transfer ==> name doesn't make sense, you "transfer" damage to a target? From where, your bag of damage?
Actually, yes. If you are fully healed, you are not supposed to be able to use the power. It's not just a life drain. (The name comes from the SRD)

Limp Hands ==> Palsy
Hm, maybe.

Oak Body ==> Oaken Form
Disagree...

Destiny Dissonance ==> worst name of the lot, how about Sickening Waves, Plague Energy, Horrific Visions, Sickening Gesture, Sickening Sign, anything else
The names comes from the associated fluff. But I agree. I like Horrific Visions.

Hungry Touch ==> Steal Essence
Maybe.

Brain Lock ==> Mind Lock
Yes.

ID Insinuation ==> second worst, "I.D." is an anachronism, is it supposed to read "Id"? How about Id Hammer?
You're right, it's supposed to read Id Insinuation. Something to realise also, is that some players who used psionics, may be used to these names, and changing the names when there's no real need would just introduce an element of confusion for them. Still... how about 'Mind Hammer' instead?

Telekinetic Maneuver ==> also inelegant, no suggestion
How about simply 'Telekinesis' or 'Psychokinesis'?

Control Body ==> Puppeteer
Maybe.

Psionic Revivify ==> Revivify
Yes.

Microcosm ==> name doesn't make sense in relation to power
It's related to the associated fluff, which I did not include in the list. As in, the creature is lost in an imaginary world of its own.

SilentLion wrote:Sorcerer - So how about something like "Enhance Magical Items" (the native speakers can give it a cooler name :) ), which would give the Sorcerer a bonus when using magical items. I'm talking about +1 DC or Effective Level for scrolls, wands and other items with spell effects. There could be a "Greater" version of the ability (feat?) at a higher level for +2.
A very interesting proposition, but then again, do you really think the Sorcerer needs to be made more powerful?
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Tiavals » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:19 pm

Fish summons... I'd rather not create spells that are useful only in infrequent circumstances.

Well, so long as the Crocodile Summon functions better underwater than most other creatures, it's okay by me. :D

Do you think the Cleric is not powerful enough in the current design?

It's not that a cleric is not powerful enough, but that as a class it is fairly boring. The only thing you really gain is new spells, and the Cleric spell list is by far the least imaginative. For most other classes, you get nifty abilities or something else that's cool every few levels at least, but for the cleric, you just get better saves, attack, hp and spells. Nothing terribly unique as such. Many of the cleric spells are even shared by the druid or the paladin.

Interesting. But a fire elemental also deals bludgeoning damage, and is not healed by fire damage, so it still works.

Perhaps a fire elemental could fling itself in the nearest underwater square, extinguishing itself?

Tiavals wrote:I think the Wizard spell Dominate Monster(9th) is far, far too powerful.

Point taken but would the spell be as enjoyable and useful, as a level-9 spell, if it was single target?

Of that, I'm not sure. But I do know something must be done about it. It's simply too strong in the regular form. If no one else can come up with anything better, I recommend you just drop it to 1 target.

PS. I hate Palsy as a name for a power. Limp Hands is a thousand times better.
Tiavals
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby screeg » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:01 pm

PS. I hate Palsy as a name for a power. Limp Hands is a thousand times better.

Bah! "Limp Hands" makes me think "Limp Wrists", like a six-year-old dangling his hands and making fun of his friend for being a sissy.

Regarding changing Psionic Ability names and the resulting confusion for players: I didn't realize the modern rules even incorporated Psionics. I thought they were dropped after first advanced ruleset. I'm actually out of the loop on D&D rules outside of their implementation in computer games, which I'm pretty sure don't ever incorporate Psionics, right?
-----
screeg
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 am

Things I've changed in the pages:
-Removed 'Improved Flanking' from the Death Knight & Rogue, added it to the general list of feats, and reduced its bonus to just one point.
-Specified the Aura of Dread as a supernatural effect that applies to all creatures.
-Added a bit of fluff on Shamans in the druid page.
-Added the Powerful Smite feat to the Paladin. Changed Aura of Courage to also affect the Paladin. Added Greater Aura of Courage from Paladin level 12. Specified as a supernatural effect. Slight changes in Smite Evil levels.
-Changed Ranger's Archery Bonus to add +1 to both damage and to-hit. Added Ranger feat 'Powerful Shot'.
-In Bard description, changed the subject from 'she' to 'they'
-Modified Druid's Heat and Freeze Armor description.
-Corrected Cleric's and Druid's Flame Strike and Magic Stone.
-Corrected Psychic Warrior's Limp Hands
-Corrected Psionicist's leading ability for powers
-Added 'Slow' in the Rogue's spell list, as a level-3 spell.
-Changed Improved Natural Armor in the list of feats.
-Added three feats to the Monk.
-Added a gold cost of 50 to the Druid's 'Freedom of Movement, Personal'. Renamed the version of Freedom of Movement cast by Psychic Warriors and Psionicists to 'Freedom of Movement, Psionic'. Renamed the other versions of Freedom of Movement (cast by the Druid, Cleric, Ranger and Paladin) to 'Freedom of Movement, Touch'.
-Added gold cost 100 to Psychic Warrior's Greater Ubiquitous Vision, Personal.
-Renamed all personal versions of Stoneskin to 'Stoneskin, Personal'.
-Removed the word 'only' used to describe class feats.
-Added an available feat for the Psychic Warrior.
-Removed 'Augment Summon' feat from class pages since it's already in the general list.
-All classes have now got at least three class-specific feats. The classes that have more are the Sorcerer (5), Psionicist (5), Ranger (5), Bard (7), Wizard (14) and Fighter (17). Since the fighter, wizard and bard are the three classes that get bonus feats, it's normal that they have more choice.
-Specified Oak Body, Thicken Skin, Barkskin and the Druid class bonus as being all natural armor enhancement bonuses. (So that would leave the Mantis and Kobold racial bonus as the only base natural armor bonus stacking with enhancement bonuses).

Well, so long as the Crocodile Summon functions better underwater than most other creatures
Yes, here's one that should have water breathing automatically.

Perhaps a fire elemental could fling itself in the nearest underwater square, extinguishing itself?
Ahah, I can just imagine that. But usually the whole room or level will be submerged rather than a few squares in a room.

"Limp Hands" makes me think "Limp Wrists", like a six-year-old dangling his hands and making fun of his friend for being a sissy.
Mm, how about 'Disable'.

I'm actually out of the loop on D&D rules outside of their implementation in computer games, which I'm pretty sure don't ever incorporate Psionics, right?
D&D 3.5 and the corresponding SRD and open content include Psionics.

It's not that a cleric is not powerful enough, but that as a class it is fairly boring.
I don't know... To me, the domain powers, plus spells like Mass Heal make the class a must-have.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Tiavals » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:27 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:
It's not that a cleric is not powerful enough, but that as a class it is fairly boring.
I don't know... To me, the domain powers, plus spells like Mass Heal make the class a must-have.

Well, to me a cleric is a boring class, since it more or less just heals or buffs your party in combat. Rarely does anything else. I can see how domain powers might change the approach for a cleric, though. Some of the domains encourage straight up fighting, while others summon stuff and such, which is good.
Yet part of the problem is that a cleric is a "must-have" class. It has the best healing, and the best access to spells that remove permanent status conditions. Only the paladin can remove blindness and deafness, and curses, otherwise, I think(early on). Practically you should have either a cleric(or sorcerer) or a paladin, or you'll sooner or later have all of your party members blind and deaf as well as cursed permanently. If you have just a druid, you get Heal at level 13, at which you can remove blindness and deafness, but you can never remove the curse-status from your characters. And you need a psionicist to get rid of negative levels, level 15.

And personally, I'm not too pleased when you "must" have a certain class. I guess you could just load any time in a combat you get a status condition you can never remove, but...
Tiavals
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby SilentLion » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:34 pm

Tiavals wrote:Practically you should have either a cleric(or sorcerer) or a paladin, or you'll sooner or later have all of your party members blind and deaf as well as cursed permanently.

Access to temples and sufficient supply of potions can remedy this problem, provided you have the cash.
SilentLion
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas for KotC 2