Grunker's Comments on the Classes Thread

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Re: Grunker's Comments on the Classes Thread

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:00 am

Lower Resistance is OK imo. Not saying we couldn't use the actual spell breach or spell mantle for that matter.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:05 pm

The NWN2 Spell Breach is interesting but redundant with a Dispel targeted at a creature IMO. And Spell Mantle... is a bit too much I think.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:34 am

BlueSalamander wrote:The NWN2 Spell Breach is interesting but redundant with a Dispel targeted at a creature IMO. And Spell Mantle... is a bit too much I think.

It is not redundant because it's clearly a better version (thus also higher level). Spell Breach is guaranteed to strip a spell mantle or the highest level buff (no save) and then adds a dispel (normal save). Take KotC for example with powerful enemies having will saves in the stratosphere, spell breach would have been a godsend.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:06 pm

Yes I know it's more powerful. In NWN 2 Greater Spell Breach is level 6 so it competes with Greater Dispel Magic. I want Dispel Magic and Greater Dispel Magic to be very useful spells.

Dispel Magic will not require a saving throw but spell checks equal to 1d20 + caster level + Spell Focus bonuses, versus DC 11 + level of the mage who created the effect.

But I could see a level-9 wizard spell called Spell Breach that would remove from all enemies in radius 10 all beneficial spell effects without any check.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:48 am

BlueSalamander wrote:Yes I know it's more powerful. In NWN 2 Greater Spell Breach is level 6 so it competes with Greater Dispel Magic. I want Dispel Magic and Greater Dispel Magic to be very useful spells.

It does not really compete. Apart from the breach effect it does a normal dispel (lvl3) hence the dispel effect is weaker than a greater dispel and single target only.

BlueSalamander wrote:But I could see a level-9 wizard spell called Spell Breach that would remove from all enemies in radius 10 all beneficial spell effects without any check.

Hehe, no need to go overboard with it (AoE, remove all, no save?!) Something like disjunction is enough.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Previous

Return to Ideas for KotC 2