No KotC2 for a RTS??

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

No KotC2 for a RTS??

Postby xenocide » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:04 pm

KotC2 on hold until work on a RTS is done? Say it ain't so!

http://rpgwatch.com/#18533
xenocide
Kobold (CR 1/4)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

No KotC2 for a RTS??

Advert

Re: No KotC2 for a RTS??

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:13 pm

Yes it's true and it allows me to work towards shorter-term goals. IMO it's not such a bad thing for KotC2 because some of the code will be the same.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby getter77 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:03 pm

Surprising, but it'll be interesting to see how this shakes out---especially since some of the coding will be able to carry forward.
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby SuicideBunny » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:04 am

what kind of rts?
SuicideBunny
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby mortmal » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:00 pm

It comes as a big disapointment for everyone, as there isnt any good turn based tactical rpgs released recently .Are you developping your rts for the pc, or going on the iphone/android and such to survive and pay the bills ?
mortmal
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:53 pm

getter77 wrote:since some of the coding will be able to carry forward.
Yup. Just today I was looking into the line-of-sight and field-of-view stuff (shadowcasting) and that is identical in RPGs and RTSes. A lot more things are common to the two types of games but a RTS is a smaller project.
what kind of rts?
Like Dune 2000 but with a map editor, worse graphics, no multiplayer, and possibly a better AI.
It comes as a big disapointment for everyone
Sorry people! See my first point above, though.
there isnt any good turn based tactical rpgs released recently
I want one too!
Are you developping your rts for the pc, or going on the iphone/android and such to survive and pay the bills ?
I'm developing for Windows PCs and since I'm using SFML I should be able to do Linux and Mac versions. I don't expect to make much money from this project.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby DonaldDuck » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:37 am

Terrible news, KOTC was my favorite rpg released in recent years. I am utterly confused why you would spend time making an rts that will look like Dune, and won't make you money, simply just to produce something.
If you wanted a short term goal, all you had to do was make another adventure with the existing KOTC engine and graphic assets and I am prutty sure plenty of people like me would be more then happy to hand you cash over for it.
Instead you are choosing to spend time coding an rts, and an extremly ambitious sequel/toolset which means no KOTC 2 for years. And I really don't mean to sounds like a jerk, please feel free to do whatever makes you happy or what you think is the right way to go. Just expressing my frustration, because there simply are no rpg's like KOTC out there (there haven't been in years) and I think it's a wasted opportunity not to take advantage of that.

Either way good luck with everything, and I'll be trying your RTS as well.
Last edited by DonaldDuck on Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
DonaldDuck
Chimera (CR 7)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby getter77 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:51 am

Hmm, thinking a bit out there with it all.

1. KoTC II is kind of a huge deal in terms of not so much "complexity"(That WOULD be the grand Incursion rewrite...) versus a greater than usual assortment of solid systems needing to work side by side and layered on.

2. On the whole, this could take a heap of time whip into shape as a concentrated mass.

As such, I could see some sense and modest financial/market presence gain to be made from knocking through 1 to some "System Games", where certain key parts of the code/themes would carry forward to get fed into KoTC II's assortment of systems after being taken through the ringer via a quicker, focused title regardless of genre employed so long as people hash it out proper. This RTS can stress/reality test some notions ahead of alpha/beta/release time, something like a "quick" Commercial Roguelike(Dredmor, Isaac, Cardinal Quest, etc growing the audience big time compared to even just a year ago) would work a different set of useful muscles, and so on.

I don't expect something like Nadeo's odd venture with the Mania dynasty nowadays, but I'd reckon this is something within a considerable realm in terms of putting the varying innards "to work"?
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Phenig » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:09 am

I'm disappointed too. But since the original KotC was a pleasant surprise that I never expected to get, I don't think this leaves me any worse off than I expected to be all along!

I'll certainly keep checking by, to see if development starts up again. I can honestly say that KotC was more fun than anything I've played in the last decade or so, and I've got a box full of games at home.
Phenig
Kuo-toa (CR 2)

Postby Sitra Achara » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:20 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:Like Dune 2000 but with a map editor, worse graphics, no multiplayer, and possibly a better AI.

Is there anything planned to distinguish it, or is it more of a clone?
Sitra Achara
Kuo-toa (CR 2)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands

Next

Return to Ideas for KotC 2