Make KotC2 happen

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Make KotC2 happen

Postby AlteredAgain » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:27 am

I mean it. Use Kickstarter to crowd source your funds.

Your engine has potential to make great games.
AlteredAgain
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)

Make KotC2 happen

Advert

Re: Make KotC2 happen

Postby quasimodo » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:54 pm

The Doublefine adventure game got me thinking about indie games and Kickstarter.

It would not make much sense for well established studios like Spiderweb or Basilisk as they have their tools in place. It also would be hard for unknown person with nothing but ideas to show.

However the Salamander has a very good quality game to show and an existing fanbase to aid in the viral marketing. I suppose it would require him to quit his day job and go pro.
quasimodo
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby AlteredAgain » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:40 am

I'm just throwing it out there because if I had made such a neat and intricate game using my very own code, I would go kickstart it to work on my sequel full-time. I'm pretty convinced that his fanbase would make sure that KotC2 gets overpledged if he sets the incentives right. Hell, at the very least it's worth a shot, no?
AlteredAgain
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)

Postby BlueSalamander » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:07 am

Sounds good, but with game development there's always the risk of cost overrun.
Anyway, I'm not a US resident so I can't use that site (see http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/creating%20a%20project#AmIEligToStarAKickProj).
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby gumbomasta » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:25 am

Could a US citizen you trust set up a Kickstarter site as a proxy for you?

-g
gumbomasta
Kobold (CR 1/4)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:12 pm

Realistically, no.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby AlteredAgain » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:31 am

there's a UK equivalent @ http://www.pleasefund.us/
but its member base is not nearly as large as Kickstarter.
there are definitely ways out there to make this happen though if the will is there.
AlteredAgain
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)

Postby Charles-cgr » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:58 pm

Pleasefundus, indiegogo... It really doesn't matter that much since most pledges come from the outside. What I mean is a kickstarter user that's just browsing probably doesn't bring 1% of raised funds.

I wouldn't count on a crowdfunding campaign to allow you to go full-time though, unfortunately. The DF and W2 and TBS campaigns are each an exception, but the rule is getting some extra cash, like $10k, to pay an offshore artist. You might be able to do better since you'll undoubtedly be backed by RPGWatch, RPGCodex and perhaps RPS, but a full-time wage...

But if you go that route you can count me in for at least a little bit. W2 got the lion's share though.

Note that I started but haven't finished KOTC yet. So hard to play when you have a list of tasks that just won't go away on their own :mrgreen:
Charles-cgr
Kuo-toa (CR 2)

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:43 pm

Thank you for your support.
The DF and W2 and TBS campaigns are each an exception
You've lost me there. What are TBS, W2 and DF?
the rule is getting some extra cash, like $10k
That's what it seems to me. A total expense of below $10k I can take care on my own.
But to complete the whole project in, say, 18 months I would need a team of programmers and artists and that would cost more like $100k.
This is unheard of in UK sites and rare in the US site.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Charles-cgr » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:34 pm

DF is Double Fine, W2 is Wasteland 2 and TBS The Banner Saga. They're the three kickstarts I've most heard talk about lately, but there may be others.

Yes, 100k sounds out of reach. But, it doesn't seem to cost much to try (beyond getting the thing started, and getting the tier rewards prepared). The worst that can happen is not reaching the goal, in which case no one gets charged but you still do win because as mentionned above you get all the people that want to see it happen helping get the word out.

Perhaps your vision for KOTC2 might be a bit too ambitious? The graphics for UW cost me about $20K so I'm a bit surprised by the $100K figure...
Charles-cgr
Kuo-toa (CR 2)

Next

Return to Ideas for KotC 2