I would like to play a Horizon Tripper in KotC 2!

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Re: I would like to play a Horizon Tripper in KotC 2!

Postby BlueSalamander » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:28 pm

The basic types are described there: http://www.heroicfantasygames.com/FWE/Pages/FWE_Armour.htm

There will also be an editor to create non-standard items.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Advert

Postby Gavinfoxx » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:51 pm

I meant for the Druid to use. As it is, the Druid can only use Leather Shirt and Hide Mail.

And don't you mean, "Hide Armor", or "Hide and Mail"? And "Scale Armor"? Mail doesn't mean 'armor', mail means 'chainmail'.

Will there be magical Chain Shirt types with no reflex penalty and no spell failure chance, for the wizard to use? IE, stuff that you are automatically proficient in it, and can use it alright, no matter what?

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Wizards%27_Handbook_by_Dictum_Mortuum_%28DnD_Optimized_Character_Build%29/Equipment

In normal D&D, this might be something like, +1 Twilight, Githcraft or Feycraft, Mithral Chain Shirt, with Thistledown Padding. See:

http://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/18468/how-do-i-handle-arcane-spell-failure
Gavinfoxx
Manticore (CR 5)

Postby BlueSalamander » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:51 pm

I meant for the Druid to use. As it is, the Druid can only use Leather Shirt and Hide Mail.
Yes, this is by design. We want the druid to be different from the cleric.

And don't you mean, "Hide Armor", or "Hide and Mail"? And "Scale Armor"? Mail doesn't mean 'armor', mail means 'chainmail'.
Mail means any armour set made with rings. But the actual name doesn't matter. The idea is to use the name 'shirt' for all light armour, 'mail' for all medium armour and 'plate' for all heavy armour. I think that simplifies things.

Will there be magical Chain Shirt types with no reflex penalty and no spell failure chance, for the wizard to use? IE, stuff that you are automatically proficient in it, and can use it alright, no matter what?
As a general rule, no. As a special item (artifact), yes why not. For wizards, there will be bracers of armour and (probably) magic robes.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Gavinfoxx » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:55 am

I meant as a special item for wizards. It might not have to be the exact same as the one that people use in normal 3.5e games, but it can at least reference the name and stuff, maybe? 'This fey-crafted enchanted mithril shirt is so light that it doesn't restrict movements in any way -- not even for people who need to cast arcane spells, or even people without proficiency in armor. It is, apparently, lighter than some normal clothing!' or something like that.

Further, I have an item idea that can be the be-all, end-all item in this game:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofProteus

That thing is totally one of the better items in the entirety of the SRD!

It would be totally awesome if some game, somewhere, provided a decent selection of polymorph forms in D&D that actually had utility, at high levels of play. Maybe have it be a major macguffin. Rather than a magic sword -- something like this recognizes the true potential of D&D...

http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1415
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=519
Gavinfoxx
Manticore (CR 5)

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:20 pm

I meant as a special item for wizards.
Yes, this is good. There would be only one in the whole module or campaign.

Polymorphing is just too complicated in my opinion.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Gavinfoxx » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:30 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:
I meant as a special item for wizards.
Yes, this is good. There would be only one in the whole module or campaign.

Polymorphing is just too complicated in my opinion.

My problem with this is that, as written, these options are SUBSTANTIALLY cheaper than Bracers of Armor or Enchanted Robes, which are really expensive. That was why they are suggested as good options -- BECAUSE they are thousands of gold cheaper, and thus easier to get.
Gavinfoxx
Manticore (CR 5)

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:08 pm

On the other hand, mithral armour kind of defeats the purpose of 'spell failure'. That's why I prefer different rules.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Gavinfoxx » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:23 pm

All spell failure means is that it's more difficult to wear armor, and you have to be more careful in what you wear. Whether it's a +1 Twilight Feycraft Mithral Chain Shirt or Bracers of Armor...

Also, the spell Mage Armor also defeats the purpose of 'spell failure' as well!
Gavinfoxx
Manticore (CR 5)

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:08 pm

Mmm, no, spell failure means a wizard is better off not wearing traditional armour, unless he has taken certain feats to avoid the spell failure risk.
So the more armour types there are that don't have any spell failure, the less meaningful the feats and non-traditional armour types become.
Mage Armor requires spending a spell slot and it's limited to a certain amount of AC bonus, so it's not as good.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Previous

Return to Ideas for KotC 2