[Win XP] Demo crashes when starting

This is the place to talk about BotS, ask for help, report bugs and release maps.

Re: Demo crashes when starting

Postby Absalom526 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:54 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:O.k. Maybe 2 GB is a bit too low. What's the processor speed?
Unfortunately I can't do anything about this for the moment. Sorry about that.
I still don't know whether it's due to Win XP, RAM that is too low, a CPU that is too slow, certain graphic-card settings, or a problem in the game's code.

2.80 ghz. Is BotS really that resource intensive?
Absalom526
Centaur (CR 3)

Advert

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:42 am

Definitely it's not the CPU since mine is slower.
I think BotS uses quite a lot of RAM. So it could be that the RAM is either too low or defective in parts.
The issue may also be due to a graphic-card setting or Win XP setting that I'm not aware of, or a problem with the OpenGL driver.
Have you tried running the game in windowed mode? That mode is probably less resource intensive.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Absalom526 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:13 pm

Yes, still nothing. I have a 2gb memory stick I use as virtual RAM, so I doubt that's the issue. Will tinker with OpenGl and see if I can find a fix
Absalom526
Centaur (CR 3)

Postby Noumenon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:03 pm

This happens to me on XP SP3. I have 3.25 GB RAM and a GeForce 8800 GT graphics card. Version 1.008. Turning off full screen mode in the options did not help.

I am on dual monitor. Even though the game appears to be launching in full screen, I can move my mouse over to the other monitor. The in-game mouse pointer stops at the edge of the window and my normal mouse pointer appears. When the screen freezes, my mouse pointer is frozen on screen, but I can still wave the mouse around and see it traveling on the other monitor.

My game doesn't freeze immediately upon loading the map screen. I can move the mouse for approximately one second and then everything stops. It is not a crash -- just a freeze that requires me to Ctrl+Alt+Delete.
Noumenon
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:55 am

Hi, could you please check that you have the latest driver for your graphics card?
[Edit] Is it possible the problem could be related to the one mentioned there
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-95036.html ?
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Noumenon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:22 pm

I did not have the latest driver, but now I do (fortunately only one of my monitors was set to 1152x720, because that one went completely black and I had to figure out how to fix it without being able to see the start menu).

The problem did not end, though. I can move over the tanks and see a tooltip, then keep moving and it freezes.

I'm afraid to try the solutions in the link about turning off overheat protection or tweaking the megahertz.
Noumenon
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:50 pm

O.k. thanks, there's no Win XP near me, but maybe I can get a virtual Win XP using Microsoft Virtual PC 2007. I'll look into it.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Absalom526 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:18 pm

Thanks, and my problem was the same as Noumenon
Absalom526
Centaur (CR 3)

Postby Noumenon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:28 pm

Man, upgrading my GeForce 8800 GT driver from 296.10 to 320.18 was really bad for my computer. I got a black screen on Baldur's Gate II that required me to turn off my computer with the power button and lose work. Then I System Restored and had to download 3 GB and re-patch everything, but my computer is back to normal again and I can play BG II now.
Noumenon
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:45 pm

I've got the game running in Windows XP under VMware (without any service pack) and the game works well, no freeze or slow down.
I think that proves that the problem doesn't come from the game itself.

Maybe it's an issue with the graphics card, or with the service pack 3. My card is the GeForce GT 130M.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

PreviousNext

Return to About the Battle of the Sands RTS