Just bought it, very nice. Linux version someday?

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Re: Just bought it, very nice. Linux version someday?

Postby ErrrorWayz » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:42 am

Paul.Illes wrote:a, I don't remember your mentioning, but now it's crystal clear!!!!!1 I think I'll stop using Linux right now, I was just waiting for someone to give me a really sophisticated argument against it. Thank you!!!1 :lol: Seriosly I think I would just ignore you if I weren't such a kind-hearted one like I am and you weren't trolling so nicely. ;)
b, Good idea.

I still think it's worthy to think about a Linux version. A unified OpenGL or SDL (pure 2d) solution for the engine could prove useful for Mac and Linux at the same time and probably for mobiles too.

Only messing mate.. : ) Not really a massively sophisticated argument I guess, I'm just lazy, put the game in, run it, works well DX10 and everything in place. Yay!

Good point, I will stop trolling immediately. Foolish. :oops:

Have a good weekend!
ErrrorWayz
Chimera (CR 7)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Postby Paul.Illes » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:24 pm

smallfry wrote:Has anyone got it to work in wine yet? I'm using wine on a[n intel] mac but it fails to run. Gives me a unhandled exception/page fault error.

I only had luck with wine plus an nvidia driver so far. Works with intel under linux only if OffscreenRendering is set to backbuffered with regedit (FBO is not proper with intel X driver), but its too slow for practical gaming. Nvidia and wine works quite nice.
No idea about mac and wine tho'. :S
Paul.Illes
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby fim » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:06 pm

Anybody got any results regarding background music in Wine?

The game runs smoothly and sound effects work but no music. I tried converting the midi files to wav but still nothing. I also tried editing the strings inside KOTC.exe in order to change the names of the midi files loaded to my converted wavs but at no avail (ie, rename Midi/01.mid to Midi/01.wav). This doesn't seem to be a problem with wine+midi because I can play midi files inside wine using winamp.

Btw, I've tried 1.23-1.25 and all versions are affected by this problem.

Any ideas are welcome :)

To the devs: How hard would it be to offer some kind of setting from the game to choose the file format for the music files?
fim
Kobold (CR 1/4)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:16 pm

Hello fim, it would be complicated and I don't want to make changes specially targeted at Wine and Linux. I suggest you just play all the midi files in a loop with winamp while playing.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Paul.Illes » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:18 pm

Not a bad idea, tho it would be nicer to see why midis arent played. I think it lacks a MIDI device backend in wine.
BTW, the game runs fine with binary fglrx catalyst with my new ATi GPU notebook too. except the music.
Paul.Illes
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Elwro » Wed May 19, 2010 5:10 pm

I wanted to try the 1.27b demo in Wine (Wine 1.1.44; nvidia drivers, ubuntu 9.10), but I'm getting a "Program Error" ("The program has encountered a serious error and cannot cintinue"). Any help with configuration? What should I be fiddling with? I already tried running without audio and enabling a virtual 640x480 desktop, but it didnt work. Wine simply displays an outline of a window and breaks.
Elwro
Goblin (CR 1/3)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Yuioup » Wed May 19, 2010 5:40 pm

Elwro wrote:I wanted to try the 1.27b demo in Wine (Wine 1.1.44; nvidia drivers, ubuntu 9.10), but I'm getting a "Program Error" ("The program has encountered a serious error and cannot cintinue"). Any help with configuration? What should I be fiddling with? I already tried running without audio and enabling a virtual 640x480 desktop, but it didnt work. Wine simply displays an outline of a window and breaks.

I used winetricks and installed DirectX. It worked for me after that (on my EEE PC).

Here's the link: http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

Y
Yuioup
Lizardman (CR 1)

Postby Elwro » Wed May 19, 2010 5:46 pm

Yuioup wrote:
Elwro wrote:I wanted to try the 1.27b demo in Wine (Wine 1.1.44; nvidia drivers, ubuntu 9.10), but I'm getting a "Program Error" ("The program has encountered a serious error and cannot cintinue"). Any help with configuration? What should I be fiddling with? I already tried running without audio and enabling a virtual 640x480 desktop, but it didnt work. Wine simply displays an outline of a window and breaks.

I used winetricks and installed DirectX. It worked for me after that (on my EEE PC).

Y

Thanks, I'll do this now. It seems doubly reasonable as I also found after firing the game via command line that it complains about a "Call from 0x7b836822 to unimplemented function d3dx9_36.dll.D3DXCreateTextureFromFileExA". So installing d3dx9_36 via winetricks now.

edit: thank you very much, it works, but without music.
And once I got it full-screen, I cannot put in in window mode again (it crashes); I just told Wine to emulate a small virtual desktop to deal with this. Anyway, in the output there's a line saying

"err:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne Fatal error. Under/Overflow? primary_done=10240, mixpos=10240/65536 (10240/65536), primary_mixpos=37696, writepos=27456, mixlen=0"

and everytime a sound effect plays, a new line is added:

"fixme:dsound:IDirectSoundBufferImpl_Restore (0x166350):stub"

with various numbers of course. Thing is, I have no idea what libraries to install / what options to change; fiddled with all Wine audio options and don't see anything worth installing on the winetricks list now. Eh, not that I consider the music to be an essential part of the package, but just wanted to check.
Elwro
Goblin (CR 1/3)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Yuioup » Wed May 19, 2010 6:25 pm

Elwro wrote:
Yuioup wrote:

Y

Thanks, I'll do this now. It seems doubly reasonable as I also found after firing the game via command line that it complains about a "Call from 0x7b836822 to unimplemented function d3dx9_36.dll.D3DXCreateTextureFromFileExA". So installing d3dx9_36 via winetricks now.

edit: thank you very much, it works, but without music.
And once I got it full-screen, I cannot put in in window mode again (it crashes); I just told Wine to emulate a small virtual desktop to deal with this. Anyway, in the output there's a line saying

"err:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne Fatal error. Under/Overflow? primary_done=10240, mixpos=10240/65536 (10240/65536), primary_mixpos=37696, writepos=27456, mixlen=0"

and everytime a sound effect plays, a new line is added:

"fixme:dsound:IDirectSoundBufferImpl_Restore (0x166350):stub"

with various numbers of course. Thing is, I have no idea what libraries to install / what options to change; fiddled with all Wine audio options and don't see anything worth installing on the winetricks list now. Eh, not that I consider the music to be an essential part of the package, but just wanted to check.

To be honest I didn't pay attention to the sound. I only played it on Linux for 2 minutes just having a quick run ...
Yuioup
Lizardman (CR 1)

Previous

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG