Development Update

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Re: Development Update

Postby BlueSalamander » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:18 pm

Hi, I've been away from home the last few days. Here's the latest update:

- Reworked inventory screen to give more room for item icons
- Fixed a bug where handaxes didn't use the right weapon icon
- Fixed a bug in spell selection when creating a new character
- Added an option to turn off the combat music (if you just want to listen to the area music instead).
- Changed some graphic elements in the world map
- Some changes to the spell selection screen
- Fixed a problem with the spell Ray of Enfeeblement
- Fixed a AI problem with the spell Silence and reworked the AI for Entangle and Insect Plague.
- Updated the AI so that the most powerful spells, such as Stoneskin and Fireball, are not automatically discarded by spellcasters who have access to spells of a higher level. Normally the higher level spells are more effective but there are a few exceptions.

Separately, I've received an email from the developer of Cyclopean. He mentioned a turn-based, party-based RPG he worked on in the past: Hidden Evil. Haven't had time to play it seriously but it looks interesting.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Advert

Postby getter77 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:34 pm

Good as always to see things coming nicely along and thanks for the interesting links!
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Over » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:45 pm

As getter77 said, it's always nice that you keep updating us. I'm looking forward to finally being able to play the game. :)
Over
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:47 pm

Here's another update:

-Added the code for braziers (the fire giants will be happy!), they are treated similarly to wall of fire areas.
-Added bonus for summoning a fire elemental from a brazier/wall of fire.
-Reworked AI for whirlwind attack, bull rush (so that it knows how to position itself for a bull rush), and summon elemental spells.
-Fixed a problem with concentration checks required when casting while standing on a wall of fire
-Changed the feat combat reflexes to allow AOOs while flat footed.

One of the artists is working on the title picture - it will be something inspired by the introduction picture of Bard's Tale 2 - while the other artist is creating a new text font for the game. When these things are ready I'll post some new screenshots on the website.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Over » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:10 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:Here's another update:

-Added the code for braziers (the fire giants will be happy!), they are treated similarly to wall of fire areas.
-Added bonus for summoning a fire elemental from a brazier/wall of fire.
-Reworked AI for whirlwind attack, bull rush (so that it knows how to position itself for a bull rush), and summon elemental spells.
-Fixed a problem with concentration checks required when casting while standing on a wall of fire
-Changed the feat combat reflexes to allow AOOs while flat footed.

One of the artists is working on the title picture - it will be something inspired by the introduction picture of Bard's Tale 2 - while the other artist is creating a new text font for the game. When these things are ready I'll post some new screenshots on the website.

Great! :D
Over
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby getter77 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:56 pm

Indeed! Pretty speedy to boot since the last mini-update....making it all happen. 8-)
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:13 pm

New update:
-Edited most maps to add braziers in appropriate locations
-Reworked AI so that it takes into account the number of Attacks of Opportunity a movement is going to trigger - that way you won't see the computer rushing to your wizard, happily triggering two or three AOOs from your fighters and clerics.
-Reworked AI to remove slowdowns that appeared after I added the AOO fix
-Fixed a bug where AI would sometimes disregard dangerous squares like braziers
-Reworked AI for cone effects (spells and breath weapon) so that it runs quicker - it used to rotate cones in run-time, now they're precalculated.
-Fixed AI problems when the Wall of Stone spell is used to cut off your party from enemies, the AI will dispel if it's able to
-Reworked AI for circle effects so that it runs quicker
-Fixed a rare bug where a character would continue walking even though he's supposed to be paralyzed

Meanwhile, I'd like to recommend a subtitled film I watched some days ago: A Battle of Wits. If you liked Troy, then you will very much like this one too.

Image Image
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby getter77 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:05 pm

Always nice to see the AI improving deftly and thanks for the movie rec, into the eventual "Movie Day" pile it shall go!
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Over » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:19 pm

Nice to hear more updates. I sense that you're tweaking the game while the art isn't finished. When it's done, what is there still to do? Can we look forward for a release this spring? ;)
Over
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:57 pm

Over wrote:I sense that you're tweaking the game while the art isn't finished. When it's done, what is there still to do? Can we look forward for a release this spring?

You're right, last week I had no extra pictures to add so I decided to work on the AI. I've just received some new artwork though.

After all the art is in, which I expect will take a while as the artists are busy on other work too, the game will need some serious play testing and then it will be good for... release!
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

PreviousNext

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG