Let's have a Monk!

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Let's have a Monk!

Postby getter77 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:12 am

I was able to whet my appetite by playing a totally unarmed, punchy, grappler knight...but sometimes you just want to flip out with unarmed stylings good and proper. I'm pretty sure a tweaked one to be especially interesting is possible same as how the last 3 classes were fairly streamlined with unique quirks versus games of the past. 8-)
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Let's have a Monk!

Advert

Re: Let's have a Monk!

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:06 pm

Hehe, I knew you would ask that. :)

I've been thinking up the races and I should have some more info about those soon.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby getter77 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:08 pm

Looking forward to it, all about getting creative so as to have surprises for the folk coming at it from prior, similar experiences. 8-)
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:01 pm

Feel free to post your idea of what the Monk class would entail in the game (see http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/monk.htm for the original SRD class).
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby getter77 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:18 am

Hmm...some things come to mind, unusual things by far, but for 2 key things at least: It will depend on if multiclassing is allowed AND what the range of other classes, and their own sensibilities, settle out to this time around. Once all that gets locked down, I think I'd be able to sift things to where there would not be any or as much pointless overlapping and hopefully have an interesting feel for it. In general, I'd say much of what is described on that page wouldn't likely be videogame features anyways(could be wrong) and lots of it otherwise seems like it would run a risk of being pretty predictable.
getter77
Gold Wyrm (CR 25)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:26 am

There won't be multiclassing. Yeah, the monk has lots of Slow fall xx feet, perfect body... abilities which are difficult to implement.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:19 am

Multiclassing is good. Why won't it be there?
Also I don't need a Monk, what I need is a Druid.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:55 pm

VentilatorOfDoom wrote:Multiclassing is good. Why won't it be there?
Because it's complicated to implement and, in my opinion, not essential to the enjoyment of the game. Pretty much the same as all the rogue skills/traps/unlock business really.
Druid magic is cool, but at its heart it relies on two things: polymorphing and summoning. Summoning as per the SRD class requires to have the whole menagerie of animals and outsiders. Polymorphing requires it too, plus extra balancing efforts.
Psionics sound better to me as a new magic category. It will bring unique spells and a new system that uses power points rather than spells per day.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Darthcast » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:59 pm

I think I'd never take a druid or monk when there are only 4 characters in the party... But I guess that's a matter of taste...

This Psionic stuff sounds interesting. Do you have a link where it is explained in a nutshell?
Darthcast
Umber Hulk (CR 14)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:08 pm

I don't have a link, but it's all explained in Expanded Psionics Handbook 3.5.
I'll write more about it, and the other classes, when I have finished their basic design.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Next

Return to Ideas for KotC 2