Norglade/Undead Tower?

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Norglade/Undead Tower?

Postby crpgnut » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:09 pm

I haven't been to either of these locations as part of the main quest, should I do them before heading into the temple in Vanicia? I'm level 18 or so, so is there anything in either of these areas that would be challenging to a high level party? Also, if I replay the game (very likely) when should I head to these areas? After Orc Tower, or after Taneliz perhaps?
crpgnut
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Norglade/Undead Tower?

Advert

Re: Norglade/Undead Tower?

Postby Darthcast » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:21 pm

If Norglade was the northermost town, then I'd suggest you should do this next. I did it after doing the undead tower, and I think that Norglade is a lot easier. You can rest there anytime you want btw.
The undead tower was the second most difficult dungeon for my party, but if your party is used to fighting undead and has the proper equipment, you might find it easier... but your party can rest only once there and cannot leave.

So I would suggest doing Norglade first, then the undead tower, then the temple. However you can get a very powerful weapon for clearing the undead tower.

The fight in the temple was the most difficult for my party.
Darthcast
Umber Hulk (CR 14)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby crpgnut » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:01 pm

I think I've got a few million so I thought about building some +5 blunt weapons with disruption before heading out that way. I just need to get my wizard some extra xp to do the crafting. I should have given my cleric enchant weapons too. Once you've made all the wondrous items, then the wizard is left crafting everything else. I could let the rest of my party die and have the wizard wander around by himself. That'd get the xp up quick :twisted:
crpgnut
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Darthcast » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:03 pm

Yes, in my party the cleric had the "enchant weapons" feat, and he was also the one who was a few levels behind. I didn't care about that though, I mainly used him to cure and resurrect anyway...

After you've exited the tower, you won't be able to enter again. So make sure you explore the whole area while your in. I didn't use weapons of disruption, so I don't know how useful that would be... but bludgeoning weapons are certainly a good idea. For the material I'd choose cold iron. Oh, and I don't think those disruption enchantments are very useful after you cleared the tower, so you might want to think if it's worth the xp cost.
If you're thinking about the axiomatic enchantment: I don't recommend it, I've seen only few chaotic enemies in this game. But holy is, like in every D&D game, the best enchantment of all. :D
Darthcast
Umber Hulk (CR 14)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby crpgnut » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:41 pm

Yep, most of my weapons are holy. When every creature is either lawful or chaotic evil, Holy is king. XP is free. I can always run up to around Taneliz and fight high-level dragons and such. If I kill off the rest of my party on purpose before heading up there, only the Wizard will get the xp and he'll use it up enchanting. I'm sure I can win without doing this, but I like the idea.
crpgnut
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:47 am

A lot of dragons and demons are chaotic, and some dragons have DR /axiomatic, but wounding, blinding or life stealing may be better overall.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby some_name » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:52 am

I never even went to Norglade, so I can't speak for it, but the Undead Tower is both pretty easy (at least at level 19/20, which is when I went) and, IMO, the most fun dungeon in the game. Personally, I'd think that a good time to take it would be either just before or just after the Fire Pits.

You definitely want Axiomatic and Anarchic weapons in the late game. They won't be your main weapons (for me, the main weapons on my fighters were +5 Holy Wounding), but it's a real pain to chip away at a dragon or a Balor without the correct damage resistance (there were a lot of dragons I killed mostly with Con. damage before I finally decided that axiomatic weapons were a good idea, so I speak from experience here). The Dragonslayer sword you get as a quest reward is a pretty good template to follow with respect to dragon killing, actually; Holy, Axiomatic, +5, and with some random 1 point enchantment that may or may not be useful depending on the situation.
some_name
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG