Tyranixxus

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Tyranixxus

Postby quasimodo » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:02 pm

I managed to beat Tyranixxus last night, but it seemed to be mostly due to some very good luck and an AI exploit, not planning and tactics like the other hard battles.

My level 20 fighters had a 5% chance to hit and my wizard's spells were seldom getting through his spell resistance.

Is there some way to up my chance to hit or break through his spell resistance as I'm not sure I could win that battle again one time in a hundred.
quasimodo
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Tyranixxus

Advert

Re: Tyranixxus

Postby MonkeyLancer » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Personally, I used his desire to dispell my cleric's elementals against him which also dispelled his protective buffs and then blasted him with his weakness of colditude. Actually, I found the battle against the lich, mummys and babaus much harder until I used dominate monster on the babaus. Definitely curious what other people did.

*edit: Ack! I had no idea of how old this post was, but I managed to have a star on it...is that weird? sorry for that!
MonkeyLancer
Kolyarut (CR 12)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby quasimodo » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:14 pm

Thats pretty much the way I finished him off. The AI exploit was that I got him into one of the side rooms and hide around the corner. There was a small piece of web he was unwilling to walk through and I used a wand of icestorm on him. He kept stepping into the web and backing out. If he had just walked through he would of had me easily as I was down to just my wizard.
quasimodo
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:19 pm

I think meleeing him with a +5 holy destruction weapon, while flanking and under the effect of Haste and Greater Heroism (or just Greater Heroism) works well. Dominate Monster (on the henchmen), Web, Wall of Stone, Mass Harm and Cold damage spells work too.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:42 pm

too bad we don't have a spell like assay resistance with all that high SR monsters around
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby quasimodo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:00 pm

When I posted the above I wasn't aware of how close to the end of the game I was. (I hadn't left the dungeon yet and I hadn't been to Norglade or the undead tower). Next time I'll have a better handle on things.

@Blue Salamander this game has the best combat I have seen in a since JA2. If you keep making games like this I will keep buying them.
quasimodo
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Archangel » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:17 pm

You can keep playing after this fight.
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby quasimodo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:02 pm

Yeah I went back and took care of unfinished business. What I was getting at is Tyranixxus could be considered the "End Boss" and as such it makes sense that he is very hard, but I did not realize this when I first fought him. Next time I'll save him for last.
quasimodo
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby some_name » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:58 pm

Tyranixxus isn't that hard with the right tactics:

Open with a widened web into the room to ensare all of the mooks. Waste them all at range; none should ever be any threat.

Eventually, Tranixxus will make his way to you (he'll take his sweet time doing it). Retreat into the corner behind the back hallway when he does, to limit his line-of-sight spells. Your Wizard will then take on a suicide mission- he's going to charge and irresistable dance. It will probably fail due to SR. Your Wizard will probably die. Greater Ressurection (or lesser, really; whether you have many HP or 1 doesn't really make much difference here), try again. If you scribed a few scrolls of each before the fight, you'll quite likely get him before you run out of ressurection. Once he's dancing, he's toast; wounding weapons, magic missles, harms, etc. will finish him.

That damn lich in the next room is FAR harder.
some_name
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Archangel » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:23 am

Now give us a tactic how to win the battle at the Keep?
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Next

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG