Campfires

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Re: Campfires

Postby Darkion » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:37 pm

screeg wrote:In that case, how about making them something altogether different from "campfires"? Like a tent or hut or bedrolls or something. I guess it makes more sense to make the campfire a limited term resource, and a tent permanent for example.

How about having the limited ones be some sort of brazier with a few burning coals? After a few rests the graphic can change to an empty brazier that can no longer be used.
Darkion
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Postby Greymark » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:46 am

This is area where I have a hard time forming a strong opinion. On one hand, I completely agree that if you can easily leave an area with no penalties to travel to another location where a fire is located that the repetitive nature can be simply a time sink and little added value. On the other hand, I also tend to abuse fires even though intellectually I know I should not. Basically, if I know I have unlimited rests I will shoot off high level spells and complete the encounter with less thought and strategy then I would if I had a more stressful situation. In fact, I think the fun in this type of game is navigating through the stress with carefully thought out next moves.

I agree with the previous poster that the single use camp fire was cool. For me, not so much because it was single use but because it was unexpected. I wonder if the answer does not lie with that variable.

Fires consume fuel, we have no idea how much fuel is available, and each use of a fire could be its last. It could be random, it could be a DM call specific to situation (although I would still add a random variable but maybe within a different range) but in the end it would make a person think twice before using fire ("maybe I should fight more conservatively just in case the next time is the last" - meaning you go over to the fire to click on it and it blows out with only charcoal left).

I have to say I was never a fan of the random encounter after "sleeping" that many games employ. I do think the idea proposed by previous poster of some sort of consequence could be cool. I would take it a step further though and (again I think random adds to the stress level) when a consequence happens it shows up as dialogue "Your delay allowed the Princess to be swept to a new location"). Otherwise you destined to get a bunch of people saying the game is broken the Princess is gone. (Or maybe a note is left behind, triggered by the use of the fire, "Sorry, left without ya ...")
Greymark
Ettin (CR 6)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:46 am

Your idea is interesting. So you'll never know how often you could use a campfire, once, twice, or 10 times... But you could save prior to your rest attempt and reload until the campfire does not disappear after the rest. But that can be solved programmatically.

If think I liked the Undead Tower most in that regard. You had 1 rest and that had to suffice. A similar approach should be used more often imo.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Archangel » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:41 am

I support having more one shot campfires in dungeons instead of 1-2 permanent. It will help spellcasters in some areas where you cannot exit but also limit constant resting.

Personally I didn't abuse the campfires much but abused the crafting system and kept making Haste scrolls to not waste my wizard's spell slots.
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Previous

Return to Ideas for KotC 2