Dead clerics (bug/spoiler)

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Postby The Blue » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:15 am

I noticed in v 1.17 that a dead cleric PC still can use a scroll of raise dead or true resurrection. This is handy after a battle - the cleric can use the scroll to resurrect him/herself, but it seems wrong.
The Blue
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Re: Dead clerics (bug/spoiler)

Postby BlueSalamander » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:23 pm

Welcome to the forums, the Blue. Good catch, I will fix it in the next version.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Netriak » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:03 pm

The same goes for petrified wizards using scrolls of stone to flesh. In fact both clerics and wizards can in fact craft those scrolls while dead. But while NPC clerics offer resurrection since patch 1.16, there is as far as I know no way to buy depetrification from NPC wizards. So if using scrolls while dead is fixed, and you have only one wizard in your party, and said wizard would be petrified, you would be unable to ever get him back.
So while I have nothing against preventing crafting and using of scrolls while dead, It makes sense, there would need to be a way to fix petrification without being able to cast stone to flesh yourself.
Netriak
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby erkper » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:19 pm

Netriak wrote:So while I have nothing against preventing crafting and using of scrolls while dead, It makes sense, there would need to be a way to fix petrification without being able to cast stone to flesh yourself.

Power Word Reload?
erkper
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Netriak » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:09 pm

That is not an option for iron-man.
Netriak
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby The Blue » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:20 pm

I hadn't noticed that about the wizards. It would be handy to have a way to buy resurrection and stone to flesh as a service from one of the powerful wizards/clerics in the game.

Back to clerics: I think there's a math error in favor of clerics on the Harm spell. The max damage is 150, or half if the creature saves. My level 18 cleric cast it on a red dragon which saved for 90. I expected a save of 75 (half of the max). Not that I'm complaining...I do love this game. I like the generousness of the damage, and wonder if that was intentional.
The Blue
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:30 pm

I guess Harm and Heal work 10 points per caster level, a lvl 20 char can heal 200 points of damage & Harm 200 points of dmg. Thats the explanation. Your char was 18th lvl.

edit: oops you said he was lvl 18, well that's it
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby The Blue » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:49 pm

The Blue wrote:It would be handy to have a way to buy resurrection and stone to flesh as a service from one of the powerful wizards/clerics in the game.

Just found out who in the game does provide healing. Well, that *is* handy, since my wizard was petrified and had no stone to flesh available.
The Blue
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby The Blue » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:52 pm

VentilatorOfDoom wrote:I guess Harm and Heal work 10 points per caster level, a lvl 20 char can heal 200 points of damage & Harm 200 points of dmg. Thats the explanation. Your char was 18th lvl.

edit: oops you said he was lvl 18, well that's it

The max damage on Harm is 150.

My interpretation was that damage would be calculated first (18 x 10hp = 180), then maxed per the spell (150hp). If the creature saves, then the creature takes half damage.

Instead, the math seems to be (18 x 10hp = 180, creature save, then check max). It's a question of when the damage cap is applied, and in this case, the cap is applied after the save is rolled (or failed).
The Blue
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:10 pm

But while NPC clerics offer resurrection since patch 1.16, there is as far as I know no way to buy depetrification from NPC wizards.
NPC clerics can remove any affliction, including petrification.

Instead, the math seems to be (18 x 10hp = 180, creature save, then check max).
I wasn't aware of that, but yeah I guess the maximum on a failed save should be 75.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG