I like to compliment (some spoilers)

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Postby Noumenon » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:35 am

This is a companion thread to "I like to complain," because I don't by any means have only bad feelings about this game. Here are some things I love:

* being able to see all of an enemy's stats and weaknesses so I know it's a "fair" game -- if it's hard, it's because the DM wanted it that way, not because the computer is cheating.
* the way the dragon AI will take to the wing and fly around to line up an acid breath
* the pregenerated terrain for random encounters -- this is kind of like the holy grail for a pen and paper game, to have meaningful terrain in all your encounters. I fought some blue dragons in the long grass and backing away into the short grass was a big concern. I also backed my wizard in between two trees where they couldn't get me!
* the sheer professionalism of Mr Bluesalamander. All my complaints are about design issues -- I have nothing but respect for someone who can not only code and "DM" a solid, stable game, but also has the ancillary skills to line up artists, music, and distribution. These forums themselves are testament to professionalism -- that they exist at all isn't guaranteed for a one-person game.
* I also like being able to argue with the designer of a game about stuff. Props for the accessibility. And for actually listening and putting fixes in the updates.

So thanks a bunch, I definitely got a lot for my $25!
Noumenon
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Re: I like to compliment (some spoilers)

Postby Archangel » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:55 pm

I am not even half way into the game and I already love it :)

Also after the demo I told everyone I know about this game as well post a link to this site on couple of forums where I visit :)

All the suggestion I have posted are only to make the game even better.
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Noumenon » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:48 pm

I like the save-load interface. So many games make me pick up my mouse and click the file name, then click "load" or "save." This one-click thing is much easier, which is important for a game with so much reloading.

The random encounters in this game compare so favorably to Final Fantasy X's endless string of the same pudding, wolf, and hellcat in different colors and elemental flavors. They're each interesting.
Noumenon
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Noumenon » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:32 pm

I like how the two-weapon fighting feats are actually useful in this game -- maybe even too good, but they're still balanced by having to craft twice the weapons.

I enjoyed discovering how good Wounding weapons are (I never thought of using that to bypass damage reduction, but once I did everyone got a wounding bow and dual-wielded speed Wounding weapons).

I liked the Tyrannixus battle because it was just epic enough in scale but not so much that I couldn't finish the game (there are a lot of games I never finished the final battle of).

I love the "everyone's a sorcerer" mechanic, as I ended up using almost every one of my different spells, instead of just prepping True Res and Heal every day.

Blue Salamander can really be proud of this game. I know as a DM in real life how proud you can be of a single encounter that had interesting monsters, good tactics, a unique setting... he has a hundred of those, and he got to share them with several hundred people instead of just his group.

If I had made this game, I would go back to it and go "Wow, hear that nice music in this dungeon? I brought people together to compose that. See how that monster cast totally different spells this time than last time I reloaded? I really did a great job on the AI. Look how the game has weather... I did that." Each a little detail to be proud of. So many people think about programming their own little RPG, but so few have the persistence to finish and the design skill to actually get other people to pay for it. It's a real accomplishment, you deserve a pat on the back.
Noumenon
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Archangel » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:45 pm

I agree on the above although I been bugging Blue's about some stuff :D

But I would buy the next game even if not much was changed.
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Noumenon » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:10 pm

Feel free to e-mail me when the next game comes out (thanks to Rampant Coyote blog for letting me know about this one).
Noumenon
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Demiath » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:56 pm

Indeed, KotC is really good. Or, to paraphrase the current ad campaign by a major console developer:

Demiath
Marilith (CR 17)
Master of the Magic Lens
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:40 pm

:lol: Demiath

Thank you for the gushing praise! Sure I will email everyone when the next game comes out.

I dream of a game where the enemies can do this (pic from the arcade game Dungeon Magic)...
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby dastein » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi all,

let me join in with some compliments of my own: I'm a 30-year old who until recently felt that either the gaming world didn't have anything worthwile to offer anymore or that he'd outgrown computer games altogether. After playing the KotC demo, I can safely say that no other game in the last couple of years has managed to grab my attention like this. I bought the game last Thursday, naturally started playing immediately and almost forgot to get some sleep. The following day, I sat in the office permanently thinking about KotC and honestly feel a good deal younger when time just slips by while exploring dungeons and fighting mobs.

So, thank you very much for a real gem of a game. There are some minor shortcomings that have already been adressed and personally I would welcome a tiny bump up the resolution scale, but I am extremely confident that the sequel will deliver more of the good stuff that I've come to love (and I don't even like D&D games, with the exception of Planescape & Dark Sun).
dastein
Manticore (CR 5)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:53 pm

:D
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Next

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG