Thank you!

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Thank you!

Postby Dorateen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:40 pm

I finally purchased the full game last week, and have been playing it throughout the weekend. It must be immensely satisfying to create something that many people will enjoy, and knowing that you achieved everything you set out to with this title.

It has been a wonderful experience so far. I can't remember the last time I found our party stuck in an area, with no way back, unable to rest and just surviving on meager resources and smart tactics.

How is it that a 2D game with no voice-over can provide so much charm and addicting gameplay, unmatched by today's modern offerings! As I understand, one of the leading software development comapnies in the world is about to release thier next "blockbuster" RPG in a few weeks. From what I can tell, they can't hold a candle to Knights of the Chalice.

You have captured something truly magical here.

Harumph!
Dorateen
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Thank you!

Advert

Re: Thank you!

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:47 pm

I told you it's awesome on Bioforums Dorateen, see? I was right. :)
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:24 pm

Thanks for the supportive post Dorateen! (missed your post earlier, for some reason I didn't get an email notification). VoD, it's great that you've been posting about the game here and there.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Archangel » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:33 am

I have started playing Dragon Age Origins but KotC combat is still much more fun :)

Now I just play DAO for nice conversations.
Last edited by Archangel on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Dorateen » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:51 pm

Yeah, I'm in no hurry to get DA. Maybe I'll find it under the Christmas tree.

I had been a regular poster on the DA forums for about 3 years, but Storm of Zehir really soured me on returning to a post modern Bioware-style game. I mean, how wonderful was it to go through an adventure with out a cutscene! Knight of the Chalice reminds me of the same, that I'm here to play a game, not watch a movie.

Our party is about 20th level now, just about to explore the Temple of the Dragon. I feel like there is still a lot left to do, even though we have come so far, and the excitement hasn't let up! The battle when we first talked to the Duke was pure awesome.
Dorateen
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Fezzik » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:30 am

You should try Dark Sun: Shattered Lands if you haven't already, then. It has a similar feel and focus to KotC and overall it's one of the best RPGs ever made.
Fezzik
Ettin (CR 6)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Dorateen » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:37 pm

Heh, yeah, I played Dark Sun as well as the sequel, Wake of the Ravager. Both great games. In fact, I have played all the SSI Gold Box games, Eye of the Beholder series, and just about every party-based cRPG that's come out, which is why I have such appreciation for Knights of the Chalice.

I find KotC to be a combination of the Gold Box games, Dark Sun, and ToEE. A winning combination as far as I'm concerned!
Dorateen
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Dorateen » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:21 pm

I thought I would just post to say I finished the adventure this past Sunday. That was about one month since I started playing, and somewhere between 55 and 60 hours according to the saved games log.

The last time I mentioned that we were about to head into the ancient Temple of the Dragon. It turned out, I still had not completed Norglade or the Undead Tower. So we backtracked and took care of business, and then returned for the showdown with big T. That little detour made all the difference, getting me and our party's mage up and over level 20.

As someone mentioned in one of the final battle threads, making the leader of the Flaming Skull a dancing fool was key to our success.

Again, wonderful game and an outstanding job by Blue Salamander, his artists and music composer. Not only brought back cherished memories, but also showed the way that cRPGs should be going. Look forward to the sequel...

Harumph!
Dorateen
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby Archangel » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:54 am

Actually you are not done yet. Return to the Knight Commander... :twisted:
Archangel
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Dorateen » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:22 pm

We must never speak of the final, final battle...

Actually, I'm camped outside Commander Karef's room for our final save. I'll probably come back at some later time, just for closure. But I needed to take a break and enjoy our party's saving the Crimson Coast. It will probably require a trip back to see the Duke and pick up a ton of Mass Heal scrolls and other useful items.

One thing I found useful, which I hope to incorporate into a victory strategy is the use of Wall of Stone to create a barrier between the party and that infernal army.
Dorateen
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Next

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG