Buying the game - a few questions.

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Postby DonaldDuck » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:41 am

Hi Everyone.

Finished the demo recently and am about to purchase the full version (today or tomorrow).
The game plays great, and the combat system is top notch, it's been years since since I've played a party based rpg like this, great job. That said I got some questions, not being a hardcore D&D player, some stuff has me a bit confused (my experience comes solely from playing some older classics and Infinity engine stuff). Oh, and in the current version of the demo, there is a bug in the area with the spider, where the conversation keeps restarting with him as soon as it ends, making it difficult to leave the area, so developers might want to look in to that. Anyway, to questions:

1.) I couldn't find any way to memorize spells in the game? My mage/cleric are able to cast all their spells, this is definitely different from other D&D games I've played (not in a bad way). Or did I miss the memorize spells screen? Just want to make sure I am not missing a vital part of the game.

2.) I managed to beat the Lich and his group of minions after many....many...tries. Tough, but very rewarding. It did get me worried that if the demo is this tough, the full game might be a bit too much for me to handle? The other encounters I found to be nicely balanced though.

That's it, for some reason I thought I had more. Anyway thanks in advance for clarification on those guys.
DonaldDuck
Chimera (CR 7)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Re: Buying the game - a few questions.

Postby Fezzik » Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:47 am

1) That's right, there is no spell memorization in KotC, a simplification that you can also find in the old Dark Sun games (recommended).

2) The general consensus is that the demo has more concentrated challenge. That's not to say there aren't challenging encounters in the full game -- there are many -- but people generally comment on the full game being more manageable.
Fezzik
Ettin (CR 6)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:57 am

if you managed to beat the Lich in the demo (kudos) you're absolutely prepared for the full game, don't worry.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby DonaldDuck » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:12 am

Thanks for the answers guys, glad to hear about difficulty.
Anyway, just bought/downloaded the game. I used a different e-mail for payment then I did when I registered, is that why there is no "registered user" under my name?
I also didn't get an email with pasword for the download area, fortunately "login with ip" worked, could I still get the pasword for future use in case I switch my ip?
Also what's with the 20 download limit, I'll probably never even use 5, since I rearly replay games, but it still doesn't feel right (as in it's not something I expect from Indy developers)?

Anyway, now, time for some old school rpg $#!@ kicking... ;)

EDIT: The email with pasword went in to my junk folder, got it now. :)
DonaldDuck
Chimera (CR 7)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:15 pm

I think the download limit is probably required by the software or something as soon as it approaches 20 it will be reset to 0 anyway, so no reason to worry.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:30 pm

Hi DonaldDuck, thanks for your purchase. Regarding "registered user", send me a private message containing the email address you used to buy, and I will change your status. Regarding the spider bug in the demo, what version did you use? Any more info on when it happens?
Re/ download limit, it was useful when there were lots of updates being released.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby DonaldDuck » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:52 am

Ah, good, I thought the download limit was one of those new copy protection schemes, where you can only download your game a certain number of times before having to rebuy it, my bad.

As for that bug, it happened every time I would get close to the spider (as soon I entered that room he is in), he would initiate conversation and after I would click "bye" line, my characters would just move a bit (by them selves) and the spider would innitiate the conversation again, and again, until the party moved far enough from him. This was on 1.22 with Vista, and it happened with every reload.

And I've sent you my purchase e-mail, thanks again. :)
DonaldDuck
Chimera (CR 7)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:17 pm

DonaldDuck wrote:I thought the download limit was one of those new copy protection schemes
Well, it is a (weak) copy protection scheme. In truth you shouldn't need to download more than once.

DonaldDuck wrote:the spider would innitiate the conversation again, and again, until the party moved far enough from him
If I'm not mistaken, it was because you fought the bandits before talking to the spider. If you start a new demo game it shouldn't happen.

Thanks for the PM.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG