A summary of differences from OGL

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Re: A summary of differences from OGL

Postby Noumenon » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:58 pm

Yeah -- in that case it was 2 attacks, the second with no AoO, then the target died, and I took another AoO when I clicked on the new target. Actually I believe it's the targeting code that triggers the AoO, because if you do your ranged attacks manually you will get hit every time you click (01/04, 02/04...), even if it's the same target. Use the one-click method and you'll take just one AoO, unless the target dies and you have to click again.
Noumenon
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Postby Tavis » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:56 pm

Something that seems like a difference from the SRD - unless I've been playing it wrong - is that you can't take a 5' step while in darkness.
I play old-school D&D with the New York Red Box, blog about tabletop games at The Mule Abides, and write third-party and first-party stuff for D&D 4E.
Tavis
Centaur (CR 3)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby dolio » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:26 pm

The maximum enchantment bonus is +10 in the SRD, as in the game. See here (third paragraph) for instance (the armor page says the same thing). The maximum is higher for epic weapons, I think.

Another significant difference from the SRD is that bonuses with the same named source don't overlap; the first bonus prevents all subsequent bonuses. So, by the SRD, if a character wears a +1 ring of protection (+1 deflection AC), and then casts a divine shield that would give them +4 deflection AC, they'd have both effects active, but only the best one would be applied, so they'd have +4 deflection AC over all.

In the game, the +1 ring prevents the +4 spell from taking effect, although spells can have partial results; for instance, a +2 strength belt blocks the +6 strength from divine power, but not the BAB or HP boost.
dolio
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby BlueSalamander » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:00 pm

Tavis wrote:Something that seems like a difference from the SRD - unless I've been playing it wrong - is that you can't take a 5' step while in darkness.
I think the rules do not allow five foot step when you're hindered in any way: see http://www.anmanindustries.com/anman/st ... pendix.pdf.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Tavis » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:04 pm

You are quite correct, sir! From that PDF: "You can’t take a 5-foot step if your movement is hampered (e.g. in difficult terrain, in darkness, or when blinded)." It looks like that was added in 3.5, so although I had indeed been doing it wrong it's only since I switched over from D&D 3E.

I'd never seen such a nice summary of the changes from Type 3 D&D to Type 3.5, thanks for pointing that out!
I play old-school D&D with the New York Red Box, blog about tabletop games at The Mule Abides, and write third-party and first-party stuff for D&D 4E.
Tavis
Centaur (CR 3)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Noumenon » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:44 pm

That's only the differences in the glossary. Tons of other stuff like Ogres taking up four squares instead of one is here (not a handy summary though).
Noumenon
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Previous

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG