Thoughts on KOTC/sequel.

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Thoughts on KOTC/sequel.

Postby DonaldDuck » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:00 am

Having finished KOTC few weeks ago, I figured I'd share some thoughts about the sequel and KOTC. Well, here goes. :arrow:

1.) How about planning to the next game so that you can build a sequel? Reason why I'd like you to see this, is because I'd love to have an option to import characters to the game after the KOTC followup. It adds to the old school charm, and it's just plain cool to build up a bunch of characters over a series of games, naturally, this would require you to hold up a bit on level/items/ability gain in earlier games, but it's something I'd love to see, as none does it anymore.

2.) Please try to keep the fast pace of KOTC in the sequel. I love how much can be done in the KOTC in one sitting, and I would hate to see the sequel bogged down by lengthy dialog segments, slower movement, slower combat, or overly complicated puzzles.

3.) I managed to beat the final, final battle after many, many tries. And sure the sense of accomplishment was great, but to me this battle exemplified everything that's boring about high level D&D, which is basically, a bunch of insta "you are screwed" spells being thrown around, way too much dice luck. I appreciate the fact that you made this fight just as bonus, and not a must to finish the game, so that was good. But those are my thoughts on it anyway.

4.) I really liked the dungeon/tower parts of the game. By that I mean, the first cave you go to to "test" your skills, and the tower you visit after "finishing" the game. They were fun to explore because I didn't know what was around the corner, or what would would await in the next room/level. Better then Giant areas, which were basically, just rooms filled with giants/different enemies, and exploration aspect got a bit boring as a result.

5.) I noticed that despite encountering a few Liches, the party only ends up destroying one's life-source. Very tiny nitpick that, but it made me wonder after I killed my first lich.

6.) I think less loot being dropped by enemies would be a bit better in the sequel.

7.) Huge props on not deciding to make a recycled sequel to KOTC, but instead opting to improve game-play and move to a better looking engine (as noticed in the update thread).

Anyway, that's all. I must say your little game turned out to be the most fun I had with a game this year.
So thanks a lot, and I am certainly anticipating your next game.
DonaldDuck
Chimera (CR 7)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Thoughts on KOTC/sequel.

Advert

Re: Thoughts on KOTC/sequel.

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:14 pm

Thank you for all your remarks.
I'd love to have an option to import characters
The next game will allow to create a bunch of characters separately from the game. You can then pick the characters you want to use or re-use at the start of a module.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby screeg » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:17 am

If you're going this route (and it does sound promising), I'd like to suggest one or both of the following:

> ability to export party mid-game, so I could for example have a level 5 group on hand for a future module with a suggested starting level of 5

> ability to "auto-regress" all exported characters to their level 1, zero xp build.
-----
screeg
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby DonaldDuck » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:45 am

BlueSalamander wrote:Thank you for all your remarks.
I'd love to have an option to import characters
The next game will allow to create a bunch of characters separately from the game. You can then pick the characters you want to use or re-use at the start of a module.

Sounds great!
So have you thought about doing a series of modules that will allow imported characters to grow with them, or are
you leaning more towards a single contained module like KOTC was? Just curious.
DonaldDuck
Chimera (CR 7)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:45 pm

Yeah I am more leaning towards a series of modules that will allow imported characters to grow with them.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby MonkeyLancer » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:38 am

I'll assume by that, that you mean series as in plural?! Other than the modules created by fans of course.
MonkeyLancer
Kolyarut (CR 12)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby DonaldDuck » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:57 am

MonkeyLancer wrote:I'll assume by that, that you mean series as in plural?! Other than the modules created by fans of course.

Why assume? His post reads clear to me.
Btw, thanks for the answer Blue, it's appriciated.
DonaldDuck
Chimera (CR 7)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Return to Ideas for KotC 2