Enviromental hazards

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Enviromental hazards

Postby Tiavals » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:13 pm

What I loved about KOTC was that there were braziers all around the game, where you could bull-rush enemies, and then pin them while grappling(wall of fire spell worked wonders too).

What I propose, is that there be similar things in KOTC2 too, but ones that are more varied. For example, spikes, pit-traps, slime, spinning blades, irritating fog, and all kinds of strange and cool things. Would make bull-rush much more useful. Sure, you can mimic most of these things with spells, but if they're a natural part of the map, then perhaps the enemies will also use them to harass players with, as they did in the first game.
Tiavals
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Enviromental hazards

Advert

Re: Enviromental hazards

Postby Dorateen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:44 pm

This sounds good and would be a welcome addition for the tactical considerations it would open up.

Nothing made me more mad than when an enemy pushed me into one of those braziers!
Dorateen
Planetar (CR 16)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Re: Environmental hazards

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:13 pm

Thank you for that post, Tiavals. It's definitely on the list of things I want to work on. Especially plain stakes and spikes, pits and chasms, submerged areas, and maybe elevated areas like a balcony, ledge, stairway. Would be nice to cast grease and then see the enemy archer trip and fall down from his ledge. Slime and non-magical webs could be good too. Also you could take advantage of environmental hazards with a spell like Gust of Wind.

pin them while grappling(wall of fire spell worked wonders too).
You're right, and it sounds like a good tactic I should teach the AI someday (to use pin and grapple more often if the enemy is burning or taking some other kind of repeat damage from a permanent area effect).
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Tiavals » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:24 pm

Regarding grapple: Do you intend to allow small weapons(daggers) to be used in grapple, or do you think grapple would be far too powerful with them? (I can already envision using a +4 destruction holy dagger against a lich)

Regular D&D allowed it, and I believe it was quite a bit too powerful. Really, even in KOTC1 my Mul with a high strength was incredibly powerful in grapple. He could pretty much grapple anything but dragons and hold them in place while beating them at the same time for 40 damage per round. I can only imagine how unbalanced it would be if he had an enchanted dagger.

But natural weapons would be nice. Loads of fun could be had when polymorphing into a spider and poisoning people in a grapple. And if you intend to make Thrikren as a player-race, it would be very useful while grappling thanks to it's natural attacks.
Tiavals
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:44 pm

Do you intend to allow small weapons(daggers) to be used in grapple
No. In my mind a grapple is when two combatants are wrestling and gripping each other's wrists. That makes it impossible to use a weapon or to pick something from the inventory.
natural weapons would be nice. Loads of fun could be had when polymorphing into a spider and poisoning people in a grapple.
KotC1 uses the primary natural weapon for grapple, so the poisoned bite effect should work.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Return to Ideas for KotC 2