Glitch leads to unbeatable game? Help! *minor spoilers*

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Postby Celdia » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:13 pm

First thing, let me add to the list of praise for KotC. This game is absolutely wonderful. A friend of mine showed me it recently and I fell in love. Having gotten it myself I've been playing it non-stop in my free time for the last three days.

That said, I find myself with a bit of a problem. I think I may have made the game unbeatable. Unintentionally I exploited what appears to be a glitch at the Hill Giant fortress, starting a fight to get inside. I cleared all of the upper level and without spoiling too much, managed to complete the Hill Giant part of the arc. Cassam the Sage now tells me to go back to the fortress to find a clue as to how to find the other giants...but the magic barrier is still up! It was after this that I attempted the Mountain Pass and took down the Slavers up north. I've taken the scrolls to be decoded back to the mage's apprentice but she directs me to Cassam. Cassam doesn't recognize that I have the scroll with me because he's on the next part of the story already thanks to my meddling with the Hill Giants! What do I do?! Am I going to have to restart my whole game? Please tell me there is a fix!
Celdia
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)

Advert

Re: Glitch leads to unbeatable game? Help! *minor spoilers*

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:57 am

OMG you borkeded the game!
You should've found the clue when you've been in the Hill Giant fort (there's a secret door, if you open the map you'll see a black area somewhere in the middle of the map, there's a way down to another level, the clue's down there iirc) but since you can't re-enter...

How did you leave the Fort btw, with the barrier up? If there's a second exit you could re-enter there. Otherwise you have bad luck. Always keep a save before entering a specific dungeon.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Celdia » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:50 am

How did I leave? I just walked out. The barrier didn't stop me from leaving. It only stops me from getting inside.

Also, I did find the way down but I judged the monster down there too difficult for me to get past and decided not to face off with it and instead retreated back upstairs. Since I'd already finished with the Hill Giants themselves I figured I was good to leave since the village was safe from them now.
Celdia
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:13 pm

Hello Celdia,
Zip your saved game folder (folder 1 if it's saved game 1) and send it to enquiries@heroicfantasygames.com, I'll remove the Hill Giant barrier for you. What were you fighting when you entered the fortress?
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Celdia » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:16 pm

Many thanks! I didn't want to lose the great progress I made in lieu of being able to get back into the fortress.

The fight that let me bypass the barrier was with a pair of sleeping giants just inside the gates. If you try to go through the barrier you can just see them beyond the edge of the screen. Creep up on the barrier but don't step into it totally and you can use the mouse to start combat with them, bypassing the barrier during combat. So long as you don't wander back out you've got free run of the fortress from what I could see. And, of course, walking back out triggers the barrier and it sticks you back outside of the fortress as if you were trying to get in.
Celdia
Hobgoblin (CR 1/2)

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG