AI seems too good in some cases

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Postby TheGrapplingWolf » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:17 pm

There's no reason creatures like a wolf would aggressively attack your mage for example. No one should know what item effects you have either but the AI seems to avoid casting any kind of spell that's. It also gets annoying all the grapples you get. It make sense sometimes but it's like they grapple by default even when suicidally insane. Hopefully these aren't too much work and can be tweaked a little bit. I think it would make things more enjoyable.
TheGrapplingWolf
Goblin (CR 1/3)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Re: AI seems too good in some cases

Postby BlueSalamander » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:20 pm

Hello TheGrapplingWolf,

On the wolf attacking wizards, I agree. It would be better to have low-intelligence creatures just target the nearest enemy.

On the item and spell effects, I prefer to have total transparency for both the player and the AI, and to not allow the casting of spells on targets that are immune.

On the grappling behaviour, it really depends on the creature. Those with low strength never grapple. Which creatures do you mean in particular?
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Re: AI seems too good in some cases

Postby Ikarius » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:30 am

A nice way to handle this in the next iteration would be to have a list of decision trees to search, each tied to a minimum intelligence level, so an int 1 will most likely attack whomever is closest to him/whoever last hit him or hit him the hardest. An int 2 *might* be smart enough to flank. At int 8, they can probably identify the biggest threat (wizard) and go after him.
Ikarius
Ettin (CR 6)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Return to Ideas for KotC 2