KotC 2 Update

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Re: KotC 2 Update

Postby SilentLion » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:28 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:
SilentLion wrote:occasional randomized enchanted weapon drops and/or part of shop selection being randomized would give the "exotic" weapon group users a chance to grab a good weapon
Could be done, but I'd prefer the approach where you present several enchanted weapons to the player and let him have just one.

Yes, reward-selection is always fun, but I'm afraid it cannot occur enough times during a given campaign to satisfy all weapon groups on all challenge levels...

And, on second thought, the problem with loot or shop selection randomization is that it encourages reloading (unless, for the latter, all shop selection is generated on module start). Tough topic...
SilentLion
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Advert

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:41 pm

getter77 wrote:Ah, but unlike the problematic KotC situation, this method necessitates actually discovering/finding/acquiring/encountering that which you want to incorporate into the arsenal, as opposed to just building exp and gold then picking from a list of things not experienced by the party in the slightest more often than not. As such, you can place the loot set pieces and deal with economic realities without much concern for overly forced diversity, as the "discoveries" can then amount to what the players decided to make of them as per their builds----especially depending on what inventory/storage mechanics wind up being present in terms of sell/drop/hold onto for later machinations choices.
Yes, this solution is interesting, but what I mean is that technically it's as problematic as crafting. Because the array of weapons has to be dynamic rather than static. I prefer to have the reward sometimes be selectable, for example, the town's mayor may ask if you would prefer to receive an axe, a sword or a spear as reward. Agreed that this may not happen all the time and yeah, randomization also means reloading, which I don't like, either.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby screeg » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:07 pm

BlueSalamander wrote:I prefer to have the reward sometimes be selectable, for example, the town's mayor may ask if you would prefer to receive an axe, a sword or a spear as reward. Agreed that this may not happen all the time and yeah, randomization also means reloading, which I don't like, either.

This sounds great and might satisfy everyone, if the first weapon were always an axe or sword, to satisfy the "preferred" weapon groups, and the other two were grab-bag. Otherwise just taking the time to throw in that extra magic chain or halberd where magic items are for sale would probably round things out enough for me to stop complaining. :P

Any thoughts on revamping the inventory system? Your merchant inventories in KotC were pretty cramped and I thought the party would also benefit from either an extra row per character or a more traditional "party" inventory. If you want to keep separate character inventories, I'd suggest the option to display all character inventories on the same screen, to make swapping easier.
-----
screeg
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:17 am

This sounds great and might satisfy everyone, if the first weapon were always an axe or sword, to satisfy the "preferred" weapon groups, and the other two were grab-bag. Otherwise just taking the time to throw in that extra magic chain or halberd where magic items are for sale would probably round things out enough for me to stop complaining. :P
Yes I think that's the best solution. That, and enemy bosses can sometimes use exotic weapons. For example an evil cleric with the death domain could use an enchanted Scythe to please his deity.

Any thoughts on revamping the inventory system? Your merchant inventories in KotC were pretty cramped and I thought the party would also benefit from either an extra row per character
I agree and there will be changes.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby SilentLion » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:38 pm

Hi BlueSalamander,
When you have the time, could you post an update on how the development is going, please?
SilentLion
Stone Giant (CR 8)
Knights of the Chalice
Battle of the Sands
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Hero

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:09 am

At the moment I'm working on the tile map tools and algorithms I'm going to need later on, like Bresenham's circle algorithm...
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Frozen » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:17 pm

So when the KotC 2 will be released? I can't wait more :cry:
Frozen
Kuo-toa (CR 2)

Postby IgnatiusReilly » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:50 pm

* from a focus on a single large adventure to a module editor that could be used to create small modules intended for player characters of a certain level. After finishing a module, the same player characters could be transferred into another module where they can continue adventuring and levelling up. Just like the classic D&D modules. Some features will go away, like listening at the door, as it makes level design slower without bringing much benefit.

This would make KotC2 the greatest RPG ever -- at least for me. Because the game play is there ten fold. Being able to continue to adventure, challenge yourself, and grow in this amazing combat engine...well, I really can't think of a better experience. I mean, I was always really excited about NWNs modding ability, but the game play just wasn't really worth it after a while because it's combat depth was so shallow.
IgnatiusReilly
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Del_Duio » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Being able to carry your guys over on different adventures without losing gear, exp, or gold would be great. :D
Hasslevania, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye, The Outlaw The Drunk & The Whore!
DXF Games website: http://del_duio.sitesled.com
Del_Duio
Griffon (CR 4)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:56 pm

That sounds good between adventures that are part of the same campaign, designed by the same person. Between adventures that were designed separately I think it would be better to lose the gold and equipment. Otherwise you might get some excellent gear in one adventure which then ruins the difficulty in another adventure.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas for KotC 2