I finished my 3rd run on ironman. BIG SPOILERS

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Re: I finished my 3rd run on ironman. BIG SPOILERS

Postby Waterd103 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:33 pm

I can play non tactical rpgs, Hey I even finished 1 JRPG once (grandia) . But yeah, I'm not really fond of them.

Darksun 2, has worse graphics, and grinding, a lot of pointless fights, it's an insult to darksun 1. I don't think its THAT BAD, but I hate it more than I should for having darksun in its name. (the story is also worse). I didn't finish darksun 2, At some point I grow tired of killing the same monster with nothing new for the time number 10 and I dropped the game. But I don't remember it being THAT Bad, maybe I should play it again. What I think it was good from darksun 2 is that it had a lot of puzzle things, which I like.

Planescape Torment is single char, and I got bored half way, it has more in common with Monkey Island and other graphical adventures than RPGs, to be honest.

Icewind dale or all Bioware games. Have this real time thing, where it's a pause fest. And basically your chances of succeeding are about how much you pause, basically if you pause every second, its impossible to lose, but it's also more boring. So it ends as a balance between "how much is ok to pause. So basically the winning chances are always at your disposal, and its called pause.
Eventually I started to play the biowares games without pausing, and it becomes some kind of RTS with TERRIBLE controls, ending in an unsatisfying experience.
Well, actually Icewind dale 2 ended fun playing with a friend each one using 2 chars. It felt more like playing Diablo tough. We played with the rule "you can only buy revival from clerics that sell spells" And only one Rest per zone. I would say with those rules the game was fun, We ended losing mid game because we run out of money to revive (I only play in ironman mode in games) but it was a fun run, I would do it again!

The problem is that playing with no pauses it feel more like diablo. and a lot of what i enjoy of RPGS disappears. With pauses the game becomes annoying to me, and I feel pauses are so powerful that just spamming pauses makes you invincible.

Also about other rpgs you mean like Wizardy and MM series? I think they are ok, I don't think they are badly done, I just think the battle is a lot like JRPGS, it takes a while, but you don't really put much input. And I find it kind of boring, Having said that I Used to play and enjoy MM games, eye of the beholder and the likes.

Have in mind that for example I did like 10 runs of darksun 1, So if the gameplay is bad how or why did it? Because after I restrict myself with rules, I find it fun, the same way I want to do with TOEE or I want to do now with KOTC.

But I value the product as RAW, what the game presents me, IF I have to make restrictions to give meanings to parts of the game, then I think the game is at fault.
That for example is a problem I didn't have with Final fantasy tactics.
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Postby Waterd103 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:48 pm

Today or tomorrow I will start a run with the following rules
1 use per campfire
One trade per trader.
No crafting whatsoever.
Default settings(except disable re spawn and random encounters).

I think its gonna be more fun because all the meaningless fights will have a meaning, I try to lose as little resources as possible.
Now its not so fun the part that i know where everything is, whats ahead, etc.

I think the ideal team is 2/3 clerics and 1/2 Wizards. (knights sucks). So im not sure yet if 1 or 2 wizards.
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Waterd103 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:28 pm

IRONMAN LESSON: Don't change your game resolution while you are recording with Fraps!, Game crashes and you lose your ironman game! DAAAAAMMNN. I have to start over. That was an anticlimactic iron man run finish. I will keep my progress and my comments on my ironman run on the RPG codex

http://www.rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=41650&start=50

in case you are interested.
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:15 pm

I enjoy the discussion about other RPGs, but this should have been posted in the forum for other RPGs really...

Darksun 2, has worse graphics, and grinding, a lot of pointless fights, its an insult to darksun 1. I dont think its THAT BAD, but i hate it more than i should for having darksun in its name. (the story is also worse). I didnt finish darksun 2, At some point I grow tired of killing the same monster with nothing new for the time number 10 and i dropped the game. But I dont remember it being THAT Bad, maybe i should play it again. What I think it was good from darksun 2 is that it had a lot of puzzle things , which I like.
I think the best part in Dark Sun 2 is the final battle. That's where you understand why the game is called Wake of the Ravager. But it's still not as good as the final battle of the first game. I never understood why they had to change the graphics in DS 2.

PLanescape torment is single char, and i got bored half way, it has more in common with monkey island and other graphical adventures than RPGs, to be honest.
Yeah, my thinking exactly. Even though the game is full of text, it's very lacking in terms of clues for what you're supposed to do. I also didn't like the way you could increase your abilities by choosing exactly this or that dialogue option... meaning not all options are worth the same.

Wizardy and MM series? I think they are ok, I dont think they are badly done
Try Champions of Krynn (with Dosbox) and Wizardry 8, they're good games.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Waterd103 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:27 am

I will try both when I finish with KOTC, I'm trying to do the challenge I proposed but it's really hard. Also I realize the reason I managed to finish the run in ironman was the Max HP and one stat on 18.
In the last run, and the reason I suggested something new in the KOTC2 subforum, It was sad, the higher stat was like 14, my team was terrible. Next run, I get the worst hp dice when level up possible, having my Wizard with only 7 hp at level 4, was sad. (and one of the main reason the run failed)
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby IgnatiusReilly » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:07 am

@OP: I would LOVE to watch you do a Let's Play. I'd probably learn a ton. :D

(Sorry, kind of a necro, but...it's on the main page!)
IgnatiusReilly
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice

Previous

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG