Need Advice on Old School-Pool of Radiance

Feel free to post about any of the above topics.

Postby deathknight1728 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:17 am

I am downloading the original pool of radiance for my pc through dosbox and i need some minor info.

-Is flanking in this game, like getting a bonus when fighters etc. flank?
-What are the abilities of thieves in this game that differentiates between fighters. Some say they get backstab. Do you just flank people, or attack from behind, or do you have to be invisible?
-Are there any skills in this game like in 2nd edition?

If anyone can answer these questions, that'd be cool. Ive never played this game and would like to before i buy knights of the chalice. Thanks,

-Dave
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Re: Need Advice on Old School-Pool of Radiance

Postby deathknight1728 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:21 am

Got the game to work, there's only one problem. I get to the main screen and it keeps on asking me this stupid riddle that i cant figure out. Does anyone know the answer? Its some kind of password. Theres no sound either. I might just have to wait until gog releases this game.
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu May 05, 2011 3:04 pm

-Is flanking in this game, like getting a bonus when fighters etc. flank?
I think so, but getting behind an enemy may not be worth doing as you may trigger a free attack.

-What are the abilities of thieves in this game that differentiates between fighters. Some say they get backstab. Do you just flank people, or attack from behind, or do you have to be invisible?
At least in Champions of Krynn, it seems to me they are pretty useless compared to the other classes.

-Are there any skills in this game like in 2nd edition?
No I don't think there are skills in Gold Box games.

For the password you'll have to read through the documents. There's almost no sound at all in those games so no worry there.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Sun May 08, 2011 11:20 pm

deathknight1728 wrote:Got the game to work, there's only one problem. I get to the main screen and it keeps on asking me this stupid riddle that i cant figure out. Does anyone know the answer? Its some kind of password. Theres no sound either. I might just have to wait until gog releases this game.

You can do what I do and save you some sanity instead of always using the codewheel.
Use a hexeditor and change all occurances of the passwords into a 6-letter word of your choice.
http://www.gamers.org/pub/games/uwp-uml ... diance.txt
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Del_Duio » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:11 pm

Thieves in SSI GoldBox Curse of the Azure Bonds could backstab for huge damage. I think even during AOOs, as long as the enemy was facing away from you.
Hasslevania, Neil Peart- Mission: The Camera Eye, The Outlaw The Drunk & The Whore!
DXF Games website: http://del_duio.sitesled.com
Del_Duio
Griffon (CR 4)
Knights of the Chalice

Return to About cRPGs, RPGs and fantasy books and films