Would this be possible?

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Would this be possible?

Postby deathknight1728 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:16 pm

Im thinking of making a different type of party this time. 1 Knight, 2 Clerics and 1 Wizard. Knight is tank, Wizard is area damage, but what do each cleric do? I want to make 1 cleric a ranged attacker with bows or whatnot. Can anyone give an idea what to do with that, and if so what would be good for the other cleric. Maybe i can make him a tank/priest. Any thoughts.
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Would this be possible?

Advert

Re: Would this be possible?

Postby Void1984 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:50 am

For handling bow well you need many feats therefore Knight will suit much better for this role.
Void1984
Chimera (CR 7)
Knights of the Chalice
Knights of the Chalice 2
Kickstarter Knight

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:38 pm

In my last play-through I used the two clerics for spell casting most of the time. Both had greater spell penetration and none of the fighting feats.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Dave Mongoose » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:13 pm

I struggle to make one cleric do her share of the work, so I'm not sure how well two would work. Your party could have two summons up at once, which would be nice, and if one or both take scribe scroll you'd have access to a wider range of spells thanks to spell sharing (e.g. have one as a dedicated healer taking healing spells and scribe scroll, the other can take offensive spells but NOT scribe scroll and still have the healing spells for backup/fighting undead).

I think Void is right in that a Knight would be a better choice if you want a pure ranged damage character, simply because of the number of feats involved: Point Blank Shot, (Improved) Precise Shot, Dodge, Mobility and Spring Attack are all useful, and then a weapon focus on top of that. A cleric won't be able to use bows either, so you'd also want either a bow proficiency or rapid reload.

If you go for an offensive caster, you'll probably want (Greater) Spell Focus(Necromancy) and maybe (Greater) Weapon Focus(Touch) since a lot of the cleric's single target damage/kill spells are touch attacks. (Greater) Spell Penetration is very important, along with Superior Concentration so your melee touch attacks don't fail. You could also consider Spell Focus(Conjuration) since it covers your healing spells (for when you're fighting undead) and is a prerequisite for Augment Summoning, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Wis then Con would be your most important stats, followed by Dex and/or Str: Weapon Finesse works for melee touch attacks so you could almost ignore Str completely if you took it (although I've already suggested more feats than a cleric gets). Still (since you'll be at risk of grapples) and Heighten/Maximise/Empower (to get the most out of your single target spells in the late game) are metamagics worth considering. While the cleric's 'inflict' damage spells have lower dice than equivalent level wizard spells, they deal negative energy damage which only undead and constructs have immunity to.

Now that I've thought about it this does sound like an interesting build - might make a cleric like this in my next game :).
Dave Mongoose
Kuo-toa (CR 2)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:53 am

Dave Mongoose wrote:I struggle to make one cleric do her share of the work
Well, if they cast Divine Power in the first round they become good fighters. But I find them most useful when they cast Harm or Heal. Only one summon is allowed. My cleric feats:

- Scribe scroll
- Superior concentration
- Improved initiative
- Craft wand, Craft weapons, Craft ring, Craft wondrous ) shared between the two
- Spell penetration
- Greater spell penetration
- Metamagic still
- Spell focus necromancy
- Greater spell focus necromancy
- Great fortitude
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Dave Mongoose » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:27 pm

BlueSalamander wrote: Only one summon is allowed.

Ah, it's one per party not one per cleric? I missed that :? oops.
Dave Mongoose
Kuo-toa (CR 2)
Knights of the Chalice

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG