KotC 2 Update

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Re: KotC 2 Update

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:26 pm

Was the BG 2 cumulative spell failure just for one round or for the whole fight? Did it stop the ability of some creatures to summon stuff? Did it also remove existing magic effects like 'Protection from magic weapons'? The BG 2 wizardslayer kit sounds very powerful for a fighter, the only downside is that he can't drink magic potions?

- every hit bestowed 10% spell failure chance onto the target, the duration was longer than 1 round much longer, so the effect most likely lasted thru the fight
- it doesn't stop spellcasting, just gives a chance for casting failure
- the attacks don't dispel anything (that would be a tad too powerful, right?) so proMW still works, he could use normal weapons then, for maximum protection from the attacks a wizard probably needs Pro Normal Weapons and ProMW
- he gets 2% SR per level
- he can't use ANY magic items (except weapons and armor), that means no potions, rings, amuletts, etc

All in all the worst of the fighter kits in BG2 imo. Of course (like in the Tactics mod) if you encounter wizard slayers who shoot arrows of dispelling, that's a pretty bad situation if you don't have ProMW up.
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:11 pm

If the design philosophy behind the domains is that they should be used mostly on levels 1-7
Well I think that it's okay if some powers are more useful in the early levels, while some are more useful towards the end; or if some have a minor effect that applies all the time while others produce a more intense effect but only when activated. If you're concerned about always getting at least some usefulness out of all your domains then yes you would take two passive domains. But you could also pick one domain that you know will be useful always and another that you know will help a lot in the beginning.
You can also consider how the powers will affect enemy clerics. A low-level enemy cleric with the Paralysis domain will be a more serious threat to the party than one who only has passive domains.

I suppose you may be correct. As that's not my style of playing usually, I can't really say for sure if it'd be good or not. Would require testing. Perhaps the -1 to AC is good enough, if it stacks.
Absolutely, it would stack with itself and everything else. Even with Bless and Greater Heroism, sometimes you may not have enough attack bonus to hit a creature with very high AC. Like a Tarrasque, the boss at the end of Storm of Zehir, or... a Player Character. I agree that you'd probably not use the ability very often so it's probably better as a once-per-day power.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:59 am

I've changed the domains, particularly Weakness and Corrosion. Also added Celerity as a domain.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby deathknight1728 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:40 pm

So is KOTC 2 going to be like Blades of Avernum as a scenario maker, if so then woohoo!!

Oh yeah and cant wait until this is out, do we at least get an idea of when (1 year?)
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:36 am

No idea when, sorry. Yes there will be scenario maker.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby deathknight1728 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:25 pm

Thats no problem, just the fact that this is going to be epic when done is all i need to know. A scenario maker has never been done for d and d (at least not that i know). If there ever is a beta, let me know how and when to sign up ....pls. :mrgreen:
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:37 pm

I've changed the Turning cleric domain and the Turn Undead rules, added a Counterspelling Mastery feat for the Sorcerer and added a Spell Shaping feat for the Wizard and Sorcerer.
scenario maker has never been done for d and d (at least not that i know).
You can create maps with the toolsets of Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2. Not the same as pen and paper I know.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby Tiavals » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:23 pm

I like the new turn undead rules. The counterspelling mastery seems nice, and spell shaping seems nice too. I'm wondering if the Turning domain is too strong in the beginning, though. Probably not, since it works only on undead, so it's useless most of the time.
Tiavals
Ancient Black Dragon (CR 19)
Psionicist
Knights of the Chalice

Postby Waterd103 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:22 am

I never liked counter spelling for the following reasons:
If it's AI, is extremely powerful since random unit in a big group can nullify any use of a PC character.
PC have never a reason to counter spell instead of casting a spell themselves.

In my multiple runs of KOTC I never felt it was a good idea to counter spell. And when the AI started to counter spell my wizard felt nullified
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:58 am

Indeed it's usually better for the player to cast than to counterspell. I guess in a situation where your sorcerer could not cast fireball effectively without hurting his own party, but the enemy wizard could cast fireball with the shaping feat, then it would be good to counterspell the wizard if you had the initiative. Then again you could also try ready versus spell and use a ray spell.
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

PreviousNext

Return to Ideas for KotC 2