No KotC2 for a RTS??

Here's the place to talk about the features you would like to see in a sequel to KotC.

Re: No KotC2 for a RTS??

Postby deathknight1728 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:21 am

Well, it cant be that bad. Im sure there will be some roleplaying elements to it as it is made from the maker of KOTC. I want KOTC2 just as much as everyone else but id rather you make a strategy than a simulation game. Think of it that way.

Edit-Will there be any roleplaying elements to the game and in what world? Dand D?
deathknight1728
Iron Golem (CR 13)
Knights of the Chalice

Advert

Postby BlueSalamander » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:21 am

Well the choice is to use KOTC's engine and remain stuck with low resolution, Windows-only code and monsters that use a very particular art style; or move forward with another engine. The second option is what I'm doing. Getter77 is right that a RPG is a collection of systems (the main ones being spells, items, scripts, characters, character creation, maps, and combat).
Is there anything planned to distinguish it, or is it more of a clone?
There won't be harvesters or many unit types. Other distinguishing features, a map editor, units that move in formation, and the AI.
Will there be any roleplaying elements to the game and in what world? D and D?
I don't think so.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby quasimodo » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:54 pm

The problem with an RTS is the RT part. The thing that makes KotC so awesome (its the best thing I've played in years!) is the TB part. TB is hard to find these days and RT is common as dirt.
quasimodo
Vrock (CR 9)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby screeg » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:56 pm

You hit that on the head. KotC has a very dedicated following and turn-based fans are starved for decent games. Instead of playing to your very captive audience, you're going in a totally different direction in a very saturated market. Not only is the market saturated, it’s full of AAA games from companies who have been working on the genre for 10 or 20 years, with bigger budgets and flashier graphics. Many folks would have been happy to see a KotC sequel with the same engine, if there were broader class and race options, and you could skip the custom tools.

Then again, you could probably fund an entire second game if you would push KotC via third party digital delivery. There's probably 100,000 people out there who would give the game a shot (for a lot lower price), but have never heard about it.
-----
screeg
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby DonaldDuck » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:02 am

I think people are misunderstanding what he is doing (like i did at first). He isn't trying to build an rts that will take the world by storm (or make him money as he said), he is trying to work on KOTC 2 by finishing smaller projects that will eventually become the new KOTC engine. That way he is not stuck working on a single huge project for years like KOTC 2 with nothing to show.

I would still pay for a new KOTC adventure tough, how about simply making an expansion to KOTC Blue? If you could make some new content fairly quickly, why not?
DonaldDuck
Chimera (CR 7)
Playtester
Knights of the Chalice

Postby almondblight » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:34 pm

That's the same vibe I was getting too. I doubt he said, "I want to make a lot of money, I'll make a turn based RPG", then decided, "No, indie RTS is where the money is".

Still, I think Screeg has a good point about digital distribution - there's probably room for a lot more sales, especially if you can get exposure (interviews with various sites, reviews, sending press releases for updates, etc.). Or maybe work with some other indie RPG guys and make an Indie RPG bundle (the humble bundle seems to have worked pretty well). Or a Mac version (I can dream)...

The engine does seem to have room for more adventures, but it's a matter of how much time you want to put into the old engine, especially since the graphics probably turn off some potential customers.
almondblight
Centaur (CR 3)

Postby BlueSalamander » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:56 pm

He isn't trying to build an rts that will take the world by storm (or make him money as he said), he is trying to work on KOTC 2 by finishing smaller projects that will eventually become the new KOTC engine.
Quite right...
how about simply making an expansion to KOTC Blue?
I'll make no promises but there may be one.
'Say there is a chunk of meat. Pirates will have a banquet and eat it! But heroes will share it with other people. I want all the meat!!' - Luffy in One Piece
BlueSalamander
Master Conjuror

Postby screeg » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Well, it really was a fantastic game engine --people are still raving about the AI-- and you would have guaranteed sales right off the bat. Email me any time you want to talk about writing.
-----
screeg
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Postby almondblight » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:15 am

It would be good to see you working on a game again, Screeg. The Cyclopean text adventure you released a while back was surprisingly entertaining.
almondblight
Centaur (CR 3)

Postby screeg » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:26 pm

Very nice of you to say so. I'm not doing any games writing right now, but I am still writing Lovecraft-inspired fiction.
-----
screeg
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Previous

Return to Ideas for KotC 2