Frost Giant Help

This is the place to talk about KotC, ask for help, and report bugs.

Frost Giant Help

Postby Plissken » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:46 am

Need some tips on the final battle against 2 Frost Giants, 2 Tigers, and 2 Dragons. I'm just getting completely annihilated...mostly because the dragons are extremely hard to hit...even if I do hit them, most of the damage is absorbed. I would use the slaying arrows, but my wizard just leveled up and I have no XP to make any.

Also, there are some things I'd like to mention about the game that annoy me, and I hope are addressed in KoTC 2, but don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying it so far. Everything from the graphics to music to levels, gameplay is really superb.

1. No way to know absorption type. It's hard to find out, except for saving/reloading, and maybe previous D&D experience, what types of weapons are effective against creatures w/damage reduction. I don't think there should be an indicator that tells the player what weapon they need, but how about some in-game hints? For example, finding a book about creature X and a little bit about their weaknesses. Or letting PCs ask the local sage or local hunter about types of monsters? I've had to check out the d20 SRD to see if some creatures had damage reduction because they just wouldn't take any damage at all.

2. Every enemy has the same AI. Wolves, snakes, centipedes, tigers and other low intelligence creatures act as intelligently as the smartest enemies in the game...always going after the spellcaster.

3. Less Dragons, and less reliance on dragon slaying arrows. At first I was like, CRAP! A DRAGON! Then it very soon became....oh, another dragon. *Sigh* time to pull out those dragon slaying arrows.
Plissken
Lizardman (CR 1)
Knights of the Chalice

Frost Giant Help

Advert

Re: Frost Giant Help

Postby Waterd103 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:40 pm

1. Something I like about the game is that you know what you are facing if you can see it. Go with the eye on the creature, and then you will see all his stats. Go to FEATS. There is a long list of feats for the most advanced creatures. You will find a feat called "resistance10/Fire" Which means the creature will absorb 10 damage, unless it's fire damage. There is nothing hidden in the game, just look at the feats, some creatures have a bazzilion of them though.

2. Yes I find weird the dumbest creature on the game know tactics.....

3. I agree Dragons come in such a hordes that they lose their whomp. Eventually you kill them like rats. It just....no. The first Dragon is a WHAT moment and sadly the first time I faced it, it was not epic at all. I just slayed him on my first try. It was lame almost comical.
Waterd103
Marilith (CR 17)
Knights of the Chalice

Re: Frost Giant Help

Postby VentilatorOfDoom » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Plissken wrote:Need some tips on the final battle against 2 Frost Giants, 2 Tigers, and 2 Dragons. I'm just getting completely annihilated...mostly because the dragons are extremely hard to hit...even if I do hit them, most of the damage is absorbed. I would use the slaying arrows, but my wizard just leveled up and I have no XP to make any.

Also, there are some things I'd like to mention about the game that annoy me, and I hope are addressed in KoTC 2, but don't get me wrong, I'm really enjoying it so far. Everything from the graphics to music to levels, gameplay is really superb.

1. No way to know absorption type. It's hard to find out, except for saving/reloading, and maybe previous D&D experience, what types of weapons are effective against creatures w/damage reduction. I don't think there should be an indicator that tells the player what weapon they need, but how about some in-game hints? For example, finding a book about creature X and a little bit about their weaknesses. Or letting PCs ask the local sage or local hunter about types of monsters? I've had to check out the d20 SRD to see if some creatures had damage reduction because they just wouldn't take any damage at all.

2. Every enemy has the same AI. Wolves, snakes, centipedes, tigers and other low intelligence creatures act as intelligently as the smartest enemies in the game...always going after the spellcaster.

3. Less Dragons, and less reliance on dragon slaying arrows. At first I was like, CRAP! A DRAGON! Then it very soon became....oh, another dragon. *Sigh* time to pull out those dragon slaying arrows.

1) The game gives you every info about your enemy including damage reduction types and the like.

2) Then protect your caster better, Mithril Leather Armor, Mithril Light Shield, Cloak of Displacement.

3) I've never used a single slaying arrow, so there can't be a "reliance".
VentilatorOfDoom
Silver Wyrm (CR 24)
Knights of the Chalice

Return to About the Knights of the Chalice cRPG